Flashing check engine light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seanp94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cherry hill
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 116
Flashing check engine light

Iv taken my 2013 to ford twice now and they are giving me the run around. My check engine flashes in the morning when I get into third gear for 30 seconds then goes off. This only happens in the morning on a cold start. The first time I took it into ford they said it was because I had a bad battery. The second time they said it was because I didn't use a motor craft air-filter... The car is completely stock because I am waiting to fix this issue first. I did tell them about the tsb for the flashing check engine light but they said that won't help. I don't know what to do.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ammermeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Riverside, CA
Region: California
Posts: 110
Sounds like you need to take it to a different dealer to me.
__________________
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winter Haven
Region: Florida
Posts: 407
Flashing light means misfire

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seanp94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cherry hill
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron50 View Post
Flashing light means misfire

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I have read that it means misfire but the car runs perfect the whole time. Also no codes are being stored in the computer. I check every time.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Devil Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Region: Colorado
Posts: 988
All these issues with ford dealers. This is my first american car and I think it's going to be my last. Might go back to imports after I pay my GT off.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Flashing check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
All these issues with ford dealers. This is my first american car and I think it's going to be my last. Might go back to imports after I pay my GT off.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Are you going to buy from a dealer that's in Japan or some other country and also take it back to that country for service? Cuz any dealership you buy your next car from will still be American dealer.

I've had zero issues with warranty service from Ford. About 10 years ago or so I brought my Taurus in for overheating. Bad pump and cause cracked head gasket. The dealer told me I lucked out cuz another 8 miles or so and I would have been out of warranty. If they wanted to be asses about it and give me a runaround and such they could have fixed it out of warranty. I had 36,200 something miles. I thought I was out of warranty. Forgot I bought the car with 200 something miles on it as a demo car with demo car pricing.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanp94 View Post
Iv taken my 2013 to ford twice now and they are giving me the run around. My check engine flashes in the morning when I get into third gear for 30 seconds then goes off. This only happens in the morning on a cold start. The first time I took it into ford they said it was because I had a bad battery. The second time they said it was because I didn't use a motor craft air-filter... The car is completely stock because I am waiting to fix this issue first. I did tell them about the tsb for the flashing check engine light but they said that won't help. I don't know what to do.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Check into lemon law. Something like repeated services without resolution gets you a new car lol. Not sure if it has to stay in the shop physically for 30 days or whatever though.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seanp94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cherry hill
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 116
I just made an appointment for a different dealer so we'll see if they can find anything different.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Devil Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Region: Colorado
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Are you going to buy from a dealer that's in Japan or some other country and also take it back to that country for service? Cuz any dealership you buy your next car from will still be American dealer.

I've had zero issues with warranty service from Ford. About 10 years ago or so I brought my Taurus in for overheating. Bad pump and cause cracked head gasket. The dealer told me I lucked out cuz another 8 miles or so and I would have been out of warranty. If they wanted to be asses about it and give me a runaround and such they could have fixed it out of warranty. I had 36,200 something miles. I thought I was out of warranty. Forgot I bought the car with 200 something miles on it as a demo car with demo car pricing.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Just saying I've never had an issue from Honda, Toyota, or Nissan dealers. We'll see how ford stacks up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ammermeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Riverside, CA
Region: California
Posts: 110
When I was younger I worked as a service advisor at a ford dealer. The type of service you get has a lot to do with how you treat the service advisor. If someone came in yelling and making demands they would get the runaround. What's the saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Devil Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Region: Colorado
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammermeow View Post
When I was younger I worked as a service advisor at a ford dealer. The type of service you get has a lot to do with how you treat the service advisor. If someone came in yelling and making demands they would get the runaround. What's the saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
How about they do the job they're paid to do? If you don't like a customers attitude inform a manager or supervisor.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
How about they do the job they're paid to do? If you don't like a customers attitude inform a manager or supervisor.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

So I don't understand. What issues did you have with a service tech or advisor or Ford Dealership? And which one so we can avoid it like a plague please?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seanp94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cherry hill
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
So I don't understand. What issues did you have with a service tech or advisor or Ford Dealership? And which one so we can avoid it like a plague please?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
They just keep throwing things at the car. They said the battery caused the check engine light to come on so I replaced it. Then they said that I had to use a motorcraft air filter. And the air filter caused the check engine light to come on... I just felt these are completely unrelated.



Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
The air filter is BS
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanp94 View Post
They just keep throwing things at the car. They said the battery caused the check engine light to come on so I replaced it. Then they said that I had to use a motorcraft air filter. And the air filter caused the check engine light to come on... I just felt these are completely unrelated.



Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I was referring to Devil Strider. He's all hot and bothered in this thread about how piss poor Ford and other American Dealerships are I just wanted to clarify why and what makes him say such a bold statement as basically F America, it's autos, dealers, and the service people.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seanp94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cherry hill
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
The air filter is BS

I agree but I did it anyway so I can say I'm doing everything they said to do.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Devil Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Region: Colorado
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
So I don't understand. What issues did you have with a service tech or advisor or Ford Dealership? And which one so we can avoid it like a plague please?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I haven't went for service yet. I just got my car. I was just saying I see all these issues with dealers that they make me not want to buy another ford. I've had many other cars though and have never had and issue with a dealer.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
I haven't went for service yet. I just got my car. I was just saying I see all these issues with dealers that they make me not want to buy another ford. I've had many other cars though and have never had and issue with a dealer.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

So why are you screaming bloody murder like they blew up your car then? Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Devil Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Region: Colorado
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
So why are you screaming bloody murder like they blew up your car then? Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I'm not. Your just taking it like that. I just said they way I hear people complain about ford dealers I'll go back to imports after I pay off my GT. Hell one of the reasons I went import for so many years is because I received great service. Take it how you want it's my money and I buy what I want.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ammermeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Riverside, CA
Region: California
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
How about they do the job they're paid to do? If you don't like a customers attitude inform a manager or supervisor.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Oh no that's not the attitude to have!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seanp94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cherry hill
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 116
This whole thing got extremely off topic. I was really just looking for advice. Thank you for those who helped. I apologize if this some how started a war.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Devil Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Region: Colorado
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammermeow View Post
Oh no that's not the attitude to have!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I wouldn't go in any place demanding anything. I would just be cool and calm about it. If they decide to give me the run around I handle it in another peaceful way. I'm just saying you should have to kiss someones *** for then to do the job they chose to do. I'm in the military and I don't understand why people bring doughnuts to the civilians in the morning. They get paid to do their job just like I do so why should to have bribe them to do it? Same goes for any business. Treat them with respect and see how it goes before you take another course of action. As for the comment you quoted I was saying if you encounter a horrible customer let the manager handle it. That's what they get paid for as well. Don't just screw someone over.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
kingstrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Clarksburg
Region: Maryland
Posts: 299
My car did this at around 400 miles. I bought a scan tool and found misfire codes. After some research I found this is a common problem caused by the crankshaft position sensor. There is a technical service bulletin to fix this with a simple o-ring. I printed the TSB and took it to the dealer to fix. 800 miles later and I haven't had any problems since.
__________________
2014 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium with nav, RR and comfy packages, 3.73 limited slip axle and optional 19" machined aluminum wheels. Come hang out in the garage and check out my build so far!
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ammermeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Riverside, CA
Region: California
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
I wouldn't go in any place demanding anything. I would just be cool and calm about it. If they decide to give me the run around I handle it in another peaceful way. I'm just saying you should have to kiss someones *** for then to do the job they chose to do. I'm in the military and I don't understand why people bring doughnuts to the civilians in the morning. They get paid to do their job just like I do so why should to have bribe them to do it? Same goes for any business. Treat them with respect and see how it goes before you take another course of action. As for the comment you quoted I was saying if you encounter a horrible customer let the manager handle it. That's what they get paid for as well. Don't just screw someone over.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Fair enough! Customer service is a tough job. I got at least one customer a day that would demand/ tell me that I better fix their issue. Like it was my fault they were there. Kindness goes a long way is all I am trying to say. And I preferred a six pack to donuts for my bribes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ammermeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Riverside, CA
Region: California
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanp94 View Post
This whole thing got extremely off topic. I was really just looking for advice. Thank you for those who helped. I apologize if this some how started a war.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
My guess is you will have better results at the new dealer. Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seanp94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cherry hill
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
My car did this at around 400 miles. I bought a scan tool and found misfire codes. After some research I found this is a common problem caused by the crankshaft position sensor. There is a technical service bulletin to fix this with a simple o-ring. I printed the TSB and took it to the dealer to fix. 800 miles later and I haven't had any problems since.

I did see that tsb the problem is no codes are being stored in the computer.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
I wouldn't go in any place demanding anything. I would just be cool and calm about it. If they decide to give me the run around I handle it in another peaceful way. I'm just saying you should have to kiss someones *** for then to do the job they chose to do. I'm in the military and I don't understand why people bring doughnuts to the civilians in the morning. They get paid to do their job just like I do so why should to have bribe them to do it? Same goes for any business. Treat them with respect and see how it goes before you take another course of action. As for the comment you quoted I was saying if you encounter a horrible customer let the manager handle it. That's what they get paid for as well. Don't just screw someone over.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Your first Ford and haven't had any problems and your already writing them off. Honestly, it's a capitalistic society. Do as you want. But I can imagine what it would be like to service you. It's all good.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Just saying I've never had an issue from Honda, Toyota, or Nissan dealers. We'll see how ford stacks up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
It all comes down to the dealer and the techs working on your car. I had a Nissan 370Z that I was constantly getting a CEL light randomly every 5-8 hundred miles. At first they said I had bad gas, then a bad battery, then the air filers. On the fourth time I demanded an experience tech look at the car and within having someone who know what they were doing and how to diagnose a CEL found that the car had a pin hair leak in the cat pipe that was causing it. Took 2 days to get in and never had the issue again.

The problem is there is little money in warranty work so some dealers want to get them in and out quickly to get in work that pays better. Which they don't understand costs them more since you keep bringing the car back. I am glad they finally fixed it but for a Nissan certified used car with a warranty its ridiculous having to continuously bring the car in and not have them take the repair seriously.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
I wouldn't go in any place demanding anything. I would just be cool and calm about it. If they decide to give me the run around I handle it in another peaceful way. I'm just saying you should have to kiss someones *** for then to do the job they chose to do. I'm in the military and I don't understand why people bring doughnuts to the civilians in the morning. They get paid to do their job just like I do so why should to have bribe them to do it? Same goes for any business. Treat them with respect and see how it goes before you take another course of action. As for the comment you quoted I was saying if you encounter a horrible customer let the manager handle it. That's what they get paid for as well. Don't just screw someone over.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Your first Ford and haven't had any problems and your already writing them off. Honestly, it's a capitalistic society. Do as you want. But I can imagine what it would be like to service you. It's all good.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seanp94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cherry hill
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 116
Well I tried to do some of my own trouble shooting I left the battery unhooked for about 45 mins and since then I haven't had any problem. I'm not sure what was going on but I tested it for a week with no issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 gt flashing engine light 2013fiveO 2011-2014 Mustang GT 25 04-14-2016 04:37 PM
Flashing check engine light after hard pull Pancakes 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 08-28-2014 07:52 PM
2013 V6 Check Engine Light Flashing vcantrell 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 8 06-22-2013 10:43 PM
Check engine light flashing!!! rich671 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 09-14-2012 06:39 PM
Flashing Service Engine light. Vile87 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 9 08-29-2012 01:45 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:01 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.