Procal Issues (idle and ping) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Procal Issues (idle and ping)

Hi guys, I read on here a lot although I don'g post much but I really need some help. I have a 14 gt auto, now with a Procal tune. I have two big issues I need your input on. I have also done the Idle Relearn procedure and Profile Learning.

I have the dreaded pinging issue. I live in Las Vegas and am running 91 octane from shell and chevron. The ford techs said I should try an oil separator so I now have a Shelby Oil Can on it and it still pings just the same. The ford racing techs said well we advance the timing to the max so it's gonna do that. What else have you guys done in hot climates to reduce ping?

Other question is my idle is driving me nuts. When the car is up to temp and in park or neutral, my idle bounces around from 500 to 750 rpm. Also when its in drive and I'm at a stop with the A/C on, the car makes that surging vibration every 5 seconds or so. AGAIN the ford racing techs said

"If the idle fluctuates, you really need to have the dealer find out why. That part isn’t from the Ford Racing tune.

Just tell them about the idle, and let them do their magic."

All this would be great if the car didn't run flawlessly before the tune. I have removed the tune and set it back to stock to test and again it runs great. So how can this not be due to the tune??

Any input is greatly appreciated.
cb619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
are you sure its not the loopey idle making them noises..mine spits and sputters and vibrates at idle (ghost cam style)?
insidious_ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Can you get 94 octane where you are?

Have you set the octane adjust to Y?

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I do have my octane adjust set to Y and it still pings. The highest octane I can get at the pump is 91, although it is pretty easy to come by 100 octane race gas which will prob be my next test.

I am just totally stumped by the idle, ford has said that if there was any type of vacuum leak I would get a code or have the same issue without the tune stalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Slightly offtopic here, but since I'm seriously considering getting the ProCal tune soon, I have a question or a few!

When you get the Ford ProCal installed by a dealer then I ASSUME they note that the flash count is X and they added the flash so now its X+1. Therefore, if you have any warranty issues and they look to check flashcounts (to check for tunes installed/uninstalled, etc.) it checks out.

What if you want to make changes using the ProCal tune, like tire size, octane adust, etc.. I assume that it just changes those variables, and doesn't reflash (add to count).

Is Ford keeping track of the count or are they just giving you free pass after you pay for a dealer install of the ProCal. Ie: if you pay to have the ProCal installed, then you're safe to install other tunes (and increase your flash counts), b/c they're going to just assume you've been installing/uninstalling or playing with your ProCal tune.

Or does the handheld keep track of the times you've installed / uninstalled, etc..
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

As far as I know the tool itself does not keep a log of how many times it has been uploaded or taken off.

Other issue is don't buy it for the ford racing warranty as I've called 10+ dealerships in three states and none of them would do it.

I did call a local Las Vegas ford dealer and he said to just remove the tune before I come in as they don't generally look for tunes and in some cases don't even have the ability to.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #7

Wrong thread
solscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT