Need help in choosing a backup camaera - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Need help in choosing a backup camaera

I have a 2014 GT with nav.,but no backup camera. Would like to get one. Looking for suggestions.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
This is what I got... a factory take off.
mustang OEM back up camera spoiler | eBay

Problem is I had to have it repainted b/c the one I found in my color, Deep Impact Blue had some scratches.

Still waiting for it to come back from the paint shop. Speaking of.. I need to call those bastards... they've been sitting on it for weeks doing other higher priority jobs, as I told them I could wait.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If you are really lucky, your car will be already wired for a camera. To check pull the trunk panel and look. Mine is an early 2014 and was not..

Obviously you are going to need a camera. Initially I opted for a Boyo license plate frame with waterproof camera as shown below. Most importantly, you will need something called a Lockpick which is sold by Coastal Technology. This is a plug and play unit which features the same factory plugs and also allows you to override the navigation unit or to add additional cameras. Unless your car is already wired for a camera, there is no easy way around the Lockpick as there are no free plugs on the navigation unit or DVD player.

You will have to remove the console and front plate to get to the electronics themselves. The most difficult part is unhooking the DVD/CD player which requires the use of a mirror and a flashlight as there is almost no slack in the wires. Expect to scrape your knuckles and swear a few choice words.

Back of navigation unit:

Back of DVD/CD player:

I later decided to go with an OEM camera spoiler instead of the license plate unit. I bought a NOS spoiler on ebay already finished but it was damaged. The seller refunded most of my money but I wound up having it refinished by my dealer who did the job in less than a week. It was expensive but was still cheaper than buying the part new and having it painted. Removal of the original spoiler was fairly straightforward, the trunk lid was taped to prevent damage and the four nuts removed:

The spoiler was then cut off using 30lb monofilament fishing line and the deck lid cleaned up using Goo Gone.

I put the camera installation off to put stripes on my car over the weekend. I still need to order the OEM plug (Motorcraft WPT-1130) but hope to have it up and running asap.
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You can install with out the lockpick, you just need to have a dealership enable the camera option on the nav. And tap the correct wires. You can tap them in the passenger footwell at Connector C210, or behind the Nav screen at Connector C2123.
Tapping them at the Nav screen can be a better place as you know they're going to the correct place.

Some dealerships do this service regularly when adding license plate back up cameras, so they know exactly what/how to do it.

FYI, the wires you would need to tap can be done in either of two places:

video +
C210 pin/wire 21
OR
C2123 pin/wire 3

video -
C210 pin/wire 22
OR
C2123 pin/wire 9

bare wire - shield for video wires
C210 pin/wire 33
OR
C2123 pin/wire 2 on the back of the nav screen

You'll also need:
12v+ - easiest place is to tap the reverse lights
and
12v- / ground - just find a clean (unpainted) bolt that you can secure a wire to.

I've added my experiences so far here: 2014 Rear deck camera wiring schematic needed
Old 10-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Wow!! Thank you guys for so much info!! Also if I look under the trunk lid insulation what exactly am I looking for?
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
You can install with out the lockpick, you just need to have a dealership enable the camera option on the nav. And tap the correct wires.
Wow that's awesome and I stand corrected about having to get a lockpick. The good thing about the lockpick though is you don't need the dealer to configure the unit for you and it is a simple plug and play installation. Plus you can add up to 4 cameras as well as override the navigation unit settings while on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Wow!! Thank you guys for so much info!! Also if I look under the trunk lid insulation what exactly am I looking for?
Look for an unused connector somewhere in the vicinity of the 2nd spoiler bolt from the left. I would be willing to bet your car doesn't have the wiring either but it doesn't hurt to look.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
Wow that's awesome and I stand corrected about having to get a lockpick. The good thing about the lockpick though is you don't need the dealer to configure the unit for you and it is a simple plug and play installation. Plus you can add up to 4 cameras as well as override the navigation unit settings while on the road.

Look for an unused connector somewhere in the vicinity of the 2nd spoiler bolt from the left. I would be willing to bet your car doesn't have the wiring either but it doesn't hurt to look.
Yeah, the lock pick has some nice additional features, like extra cameras, DVD in motion, cameras while not just in reverse, entering a destination for navigation while moving, etc.

I'm just trying to make my car as stock as possible.

I think its quite rare for the connector to be there. It would be an 8 pin connector very similar to the one that connects to the faux gas cap.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got my rear spoiler back from the paint shop & installed.

Now time to see what the dealer can do....
Old 10-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like my dealer doesn't know wtf they're talking about. I know it can be done using the BuildAs data, etc... But they're stupid.

So it looks like I'm going to have to removed my nav unit & send it in to this company to get them to program it: 4D Tech, Inc. | Ford Navigation Upgrade Kits and Accessories

cheaper than lock pick, but looks 100% stock.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Just another option but if you live in a large area you can probably find an auto electronics shop that can do this for you. I'm just outside of D.C. and there's a place in Silver Spring that does this kind of thing all the time.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
Just another option but if you live in a large area you can probably find an auto electronics shop that can do this for you. I'm just outside of D.C. and there's a place in Silver Spring that does this kind of thing all the time.
Yeah, I tried 2 walking in & talking to 2 different popular auto sound shops.

Shop 1 (a large very popular shop) - tried selling me a $500 PAC / Nav thing + installation, and none of the 3 sales guys in the office knew wtf I was talking about as far as programming (only add in modules).

Shop 2 (a smaller but very good shop) - the guy knew of the LockPick, and said its a good deal for what you get. And they'd install it for me, but he didn't know how to program the Sync Navs himself.

+ I tried the Ford stealership, and they were even more clueless.

After striking out 3 times last Friday, I gave up on local options.

But maybe, I should call around a little more. I thought there would be some smarter people around town, but obviously I'm in a village full of idiots!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I just disassembled my dash to take out the Nav unit and send it in to www.4dtech.com. It's half the price of the LockPick, but what I really like is that it makes it 100% stock.

I've learned the best practice when modding cars is to use OEM parts or go stock whenever possible, for resale value (people like stock stuff) And its worked out really well for the resale value of my toys (cars).

I'll post back when its all back installed! Then I'll follow up with my full how-to-guide soon!
Old 11-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, if you're looking to add a back up camera... look at this thread: 2014 Rear deck camera wiring schematic needed

Has all the details on how I added my OEM Backup Camera Spoiler AND got the Nav Brick programmed just like it would be stock (no add on devices, like LockPick).

You can just send in the Nav unit "brick" and have 4Dtech.com reprogram it with new BuildAs data so it think you're supposed to have a back up camera stock.

Its ashamed none of the 3 local Ford dealerships service depts could do this. Or at least the service reps that I talked to had no idea WTF I was talking about. Maybe I should have tried going in & talking to an actual technician. Anyway, I got it all programmed exactly like I wanted it, and for about the same price that I was kind of expecting from a dealership $100.00+-.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT