Tuner or Suspension first? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Region: Texas
Tuner or Suspension first?

Hello all!

I recently purchased a 2013 GT (Premium, brembo pkg, A/T) that only had 3,000 miles on it (just broke 5,000 today) and I love it!

The only mod it has is Roush axle backs and those are sounding great.

This is my DD and the only racing I will do is casual drag racing at the local 1/8th mile with the guys from work, just for kicks on street car night (maybe once a year go 75 miles away to the closest 1/4 mile for times).

I am wondering if I should bother upgrading my suspension at all? If so should I go with control arms, panhard bar, shock/struts, springs, camber plates, sway bar etc .... or go the coil over route?

From what I have read it seems the Mike Roush is the way to go for A/T tunes. Should I just order the tuner and some tunes and call it a day? Would I need new tunes if I did all that suspension work after I tuned the car?

Thanks in advance to any input.

2013 GT Premium - Roush Axle Backs- Brembo Pkg - Navigation - A/T - 30/5 Metallic Tint - Deep Impact Blue
Chambo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Virginia
Suspension does not affect tunes in any way. Tunes are made to the ECU, ( I think that stands for Engine Control Unit), so it only affects the engine, many tunes also affect shifting, which would obviously be your transmission.

Yes, upgrades to your suspension would be good now. I'd do that before a tune, as these cars have wheel spin like crazy stock. Proper suspension will make the car feel much different, and better. I think the stock suspension is too weak for the stock power level. Also, tires too. The Pirelli tires can't hook worth a d*mn, for all seasons, I'd recommend Michelin AS3 tires. Summer tires, I've heard good things about the Mickey Thompson Streets.

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Connecticut
Unless you lower the car the only suspension you would need would be an adjustable upper control arm. The autos don't need as much suspension to get the car to hook. I would definitely get a tune from Mike Roush.
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Automatic

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT