First Oil Change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Talking First Oil Change

I bought a 2013 Mustang GT with roush cold air intake.

I am due for my first oil change, what oil and oil filter should i use?
Roush2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I like the Royal Purple 5w20. Motorcraft filter. Amsoil is also a popular choice. K&N oil filter is a good filter if you want to switch.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I used Amsoil 5w-20. Motorcraft filter.
Do your research on your CIA... Useless.
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
5w-20 semi-synthetic. It's what comes from the factory and works well. If you race the car, make sure it has a fair amount of zinc additives in it.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

get ready for the engine tick after oil change for the first 3-400miles. Most of us had it, me included.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
get ready for the engine tick after oil change for the first 3-400miles. Most of us had it, me included.
So you think the oil change is the cause of the dreaded Tick.
Im due my first oil change and am going the let the dealer do the free oil change with Motorcraft 5W-20.No tick at all now at 4200 miles.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie View Post
So you think the oil change is the cause of the dreaded Tick.
Im due my first oil change and am going the let the dealer do the free oil change with Motorcraft 5W-20.No tick at all now at 4200 miles.
I didnt get it until my 2nd oil change, it seems to be trigger by oil change. It doesnt seem to do anything to engine from coutless thread i read.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
You say "had it", meaning it went away for your car? Or do you still have it?
NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Did my first oil change today . Went with 8 quarts of motor craft 5w20. And motor craft oil filter. Drove for one hour in total and no tick sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roush2013 View Post

Did my first oil change today . Went with 8 quarts of motor craft 5w20. And motor craft oil filter. Drove for one hour in total and no tick sound.

andyx5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NacsMXer View Post
You say "had it", meaning it went away for your car? Or do you still have it?
yes on my 2nd oil change, i had same oil and same filter got engine tick. After 3-400 miles it went away. I dont know if i will get it again on my 3rd oil which is coming up in 3k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx5oh View Post

Most people had it but not all. Regardless plenty had the ticks but no issues, its harmless so far.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yes on my 2nd oil change, i had same oil and same filter got engine tick. After 3-400 miles it went away. I dont know if i will get it again on my 3rd oil which is coming up in 3k miles.

Most people had it but not all. Regardless plenty had the ticks but no issues, its harmless so far.
Gotcha. I have heard a few people say the engine developed the tick, but then it went away later on by itself. I also noted one individual who cured his tick by adding a zinc additive to the oil.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotcha. I have heard a few people say the engine developed the tick, but then it went away later on by itself. I also noted one individual who cured his tick by adding a zinc additive to the oil.
I have read that too but i personally believe it was because they coincidently driven enough miles by the time they added the additive.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have read that too but i personally believe it was because they coincidently driven enough miles by the time they added the additive.
That is possible as well. However it's very strange how people encounter the tick after an oil change. Like what could that possibly change to cause the tick to start? You gotta wonder if there really was some type of additive in the factory fill to help things break in. Then when you change the oil for the first time, that additive is flushed out and the noise starts.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is possible as well. However it's very strange how people encounter the tick after an oil change. Like what could that possibly change to cause the tick to start? You gotta wonder if there really was some type of additive in the factory fill to help things break in. Then when you change the oil for the first time, that additive is flushed out and the noise starts.
I thought about that too, some couldnt stand the tick took it in for repair and exact cause is still unknown. From what i read alot of people had different parts of engine replaced and some worked but some still tick even with new engine. Also from what i gathered this is nothing new with ford.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought about that too, some couldnt stand the tick took it in for repair and exact cause is still unknown. From what i read alot of people had different parts of engine replaced and some worked but some still tick even with new engine. Also from what i gathered this is nothing new with ford.
Oh, totally. I've read all kinds of different threads trying to gather data points on the subject to try to make sense of it. It's kind of unsettling that given the prevalence of the problem, there doesn't seem to be a clear cut cause or solution for it. I'm still leaning towards trying a zinc additive or a high zinc oil such as Royal Purple HPS if I ever develop the tick.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roush2013 View Post

Do you track race your car? If so how often? How often do you push your car to its limits and drive it like a stripper working a dancing pole? Is your car a non track DD, semi DD, nice weather only car? How long do you plan on going in between oil change intervals?

These types of questions and answers help to determine what may be the best oil and filter based on your driving needs.

I personally use Napa gold filters, Super Tech fully synthetic 5W 30 motor oil for my non semi DD pony. I don't track race my car and the oil change intervals are done at 7,500 miles. I don't drive in stop and go traffic. In fact all my driving is on rural county roads or highway driving with no traffic.

I don't live in a really hot climate and my region has all four seasons so based on all that I see no reason to pay for say Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, etc. If I were going to extend my oil change intervals to say 12,000 miles I would use a base IV synthetic oil and it would be Mobil 1 extended performance along with Napa platinum extended oil filters.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #17

Sorry for the late reply thanks for all the advice I went with Mobil 1 5w20 and k&N oil filter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Roush2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It doesnt really matter much which brand oil you go with as long its the correct weight. As for the filter i personally like to stick with factory motorcraft filter.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
It doesnt really matter much which brand oil you go with as long its the correct weight.
Really? I run 10W-30 so there goes that theory.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
What theory? Im just stating my opinion. I know people put different weight in their engine, i personally think the engineers who built the engine knows what their doing.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I just switched over to motorcrafts full synthetic. Second oil change @ 5500. First oil change was done @ 2k. The car has seen 9 passes down the 1320. No tick so far. Currently @ 5800.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What theory? Im just stating my opinion. I know people put different weight in their engine, i personally think the engineers who built the engine knows what their doing.
You mean the engineers that have cafe' standards to meet hence the 5W-20? In Australia the same engine calls for 5W-30. No why? No cafe' standards. So there goes your theory once again.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You mean the engineers that have cafe' standards to meet hence the 5W-20? In Australia the same engine calls for 5W-30. No why? No cafe' standards. So there goes your theory once again.
And you sir speak the truth. That's the whole truth.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
please remind me where we at? there goes your statement.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
It doesnt really matter much which brand oil you go with as long its the correct weight. As for the filter i personally like to stick with factory motorcraft filter.
^^ This ^^ for oil filter.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
please remind me where we at? there goes your statement.
Yep, were in the good ole United States where SAFE regulations are in place. The same exact engine and tight specs are in cars overseas and yet 5W 30 weight is recommend. Same engine, same tight specs here is the US but different weight oil. Funny why that is? Please explain. I would love to hear this explanation

Will 5W 20 weight work. Of course it will and so will 5W 30! If you want to use 5W20 weight, rock out bro. I'll keep using my 30 weight. My engine won't blow up because of it. It will stay nice and luberacated and get down into all those tight spec parts of the engine. Its all about SAFE regulations! There is nothing magical about about 5W20 weight.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As for the filter i personally like to stick with factory motorcraft filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
^^ This ^^ for oil filter.
Sure that filter is adequate. But for superior filtering an Amsoil filter will outperform the Motorcraft.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Why do you use that particular weight with your particular set up, etc?

Here's the other thing not really addressed.

What climate are you in?

I'm in New Orleans, we have 2 seasons: HOT & warm.
Winter is still warm, and Fall/Spring are still hot!

MAYBE a few hours out of the year it will dip in to freezing temps. And for a car like mine its in a garage, and probably won't be driven that day. So maybe I should use something heavier, b/c its always warm?

So let's say you lived in Las Vegas in it was 70-110F year around.... what would you use then?

I saw an extensive forum thread on this somewhere else, and the stock viscosity was actually too thick, then broken down over the life (approx 5,000 miles) to too thin. I forgot the #'s. But it was some index. OEM oil started at like 19, then went down to like 11, and the desired # was like 14. Amsol oil started at 14 and stayed there.

I'm thinking the ticking occurs when the new OEM oil is put in and its at that high 19#, but breaks down quickly to the acceptible range.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Why do you use that particular weight with your particular set up, etc?
Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread
Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the thread I was talking about.... the Motorcraft's viscosity degraded at a higher rate than many other brands, like 10-30% in general.

It generally started higher than comparable weights from other brands, and ended lower. Where the Amsol stuff was much more consistent over its life.

My first oil change is free from the dealership, so I think when I do the 2nd oil change, I'll use Amsol 5w-30
AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 OE Synthetic Motor Oil
Old 10-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the thread I was talking about.... the Motorcraft's viscosity degraded at a higher rate than many other brands, like 10-30% in general.

It generally started higher than comparable weights from other brands, and ended lower. Where the Amsol stuff was much more consistent over its life.

My first oil change is free from the dealership, so I think when I do the 2nd oil change, I'll use Amsol 5w-30
AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 OE Synthetic Motor Oil
Amsoil is defenetly a great choice and top tier synthetic motor oil. Perfect for people who want to extend their oil change intervals and go 15-20k plus miles in between oil changes. Plus, if your track racing and really pushing the car to its limits, you don't want an oil to break down in viscosity. Best to use top quality base IV synthetic motor oils such as Amsoil, Royal Purple or Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

I'm only going 7500k oil change intervals and drive up to Wal Mart, the mall, doctors appointments or a cruise on down to the shore, Super Tech Fully Synthetic 5W 30 (base III),does the trick for my engine. I don't track race or go 15k plus oil change intervals so I just can't convince myself to pay the higher prices for the base IV synthetic oils.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I don't mind paying a little extra as I'll probably only put about 4,000-5,000 miles/year on my car, so I'm just going to change the oil once annually.

And I'm used to paying $200 per oil change (annually) on my Porsche also, so its not a big deal.

P.S. Grabber, when I asked you why you used it. I meant WHY did you choose that particular brand. Yeah you read that thread, but you can still make specific decisions based on your use (DD, Race, etc.), climate, etc. So I was looking for something like... well since I do this I figured 10W was better b/c I don't need the low temp performance, but I want it to act like sae 30 oil at engine temp.

This might be a good read for people: Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
Old 10-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I use Amsoil 10W-30 based on that thread that I'm a part of and past experiences with Amsoil.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't mind paying a little extra as I'll probably only put about 4,000-5,000 miles/year on my car, so I'm just going to change the oil once annually.

And I'm used to paying $200 per oil change (annually) on my Porsche also, so its not a big deal.

P.S. Grabber, when I asked you why you used it. I meant WHY did you choose that particular brand. Yeah you read that thread, but you can still make specific decisions based on your use (DD, Race, etc.), climate, etc. So I was looking for something like... well since I do this I figured 10W was better b/c I don't need the low temp performance, but I want it to act like sae 30 oil at engine temp.

This might be a good read for people: Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
Well, since money is not the object, then Amsoil is where its at bro. Great oil and can't go wrong.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

So I had the Dealer do my 1st complimentery oil change today.
They also did tire rotation all no charge.
They used Quaker State 5w/20 semi synthecic.but with a motorcraft flter. The oil level showed perfect when I got home, 20 mile drive.
Glad to say no ticking or oil consumption!
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT