Vortech and Cobra Jet intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Vortech and Cobra Jet intake

Does anyone have this set up? I have tried to research well for my car and my driving type and desires. I want the slight delay so thinking not a twin screw. I also have a daily driver. Turbo is complicated and more touchy from all I have seen so really thinking Vortech SC. That said I would like to have the Cobra Jet intake over the Boss but it seems like there will have to be some fab work to make the two work together. Anyone done it or have an idea of the cost/time that would be involved?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The cobra jet is not worth the price. Real world hp #'s ( corrected #'s) REAL #'s. Are 11 - 13 hp over the boss. Not worth the $1,700.
This was done same day same dyno 3 different cars. Real

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The cobra jet is not worth the price. Real world hp #'s ( corrected #'s) REAL #'s. Are 11 - 13 hp over the boss. Not worth the $1,700.

Didn't you say you were going to get a Cobra jet manifold?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Didn't you say you were going to get a Cobra jet manifold?
Not after I saw what the gains really are. I was going off what everyone said, I got to see it all first hand experience

Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just asking not trying to be argumentative (cheaper always works lol) Do you think that would amplify at all due to FI?

I mean 350 more for intake, 615 for TB and having to make a custom adapter for marry the Vortech to the Cobra Jet for 13hp is DEFINITELY not worth it.

One more question on seeing the numbers... was that at peak or pretty much across the band? Because my initial thought was the Cobra would allow for more low end torque as the Vortech was getting ready to kick in
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
Just asking not trying to be argumentative (cheaper always works lol) Do you think that would amplify at all due to FI?

I mean 350 more for intake, 615 for TB and having to make a custom adapter for marry the Vortech to the Cobra Jet for 13hp is DEFINITELY not worth it.

One more question on seeing the numbers... was that at peak or pretty much across the band? Because my initial thought was the Cobra would allow for more low end torque as the Vortech was getting ready to kick in
It will alow more low end tq, it peaks around 6500.

The 1,700 could be put towards alot more for your setup vs 11 - 13 hp.

For boost I do not recommend it.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would like to chime in. I think you really need to decide what your end power gain goal will be. If it is under 650rwhp, I think you have a lot of options with a centri to get a dependable long lasting setup that wont break the bank. If your goals are greater than 650rwhp, you need to be prepared to spend some cash. If your plans are to keep it under 650, you should switch out the OEM oil pump gears to a billet set. That being said, with a good tune, a Vortech, Paxton or ProCharger, you should be able to have a very dependable daily driver that will easily make that kind of power. A simple BAP & a good intake with a quality tune, you can get to those numbers on pump gas with moderate boost and timing.
When you are looking over 650rwhp, you need to start thinking about building your motor. Forged pistons, rods, billet OPG and all ARP hardware will be needed IF you want a dependable longer lasting motor. You also will be looking at a clutch and some other drive train related equipment to put that power to the ground. You now could pulley down, return fuel system, E85 or race gas and you can put down some impressive numbers. Your setup wont be as forgiving, so odds are you will put more money down keeping a setup like this on the road.

All of the forms of FI have their advantages and disadvantages. Just think long and hard before you start what your goals are and plan your build with those goals in mind.

I could not be happier with the Vortech setup our car has with the addition of the Tial BOV and Tial Wastegate. The car is very dependable, daily drivable yet a beast when you want smile.

Naples, like Rap says, the CJ Intake WOULD look cool and it would make good numbers with a Vortech (and it can be done pretty easily) but HP-wise, if your goals are under 650, it is money just going toward looks, not performance.

PhillysLS1 did what your are thinking and the numbers arent that different from our Boss setup:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-WRONG-)/page2
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
$1700?? No one pays that much for the CJ mani package and if they do they got robbed. You can look around and find it for MUCH less. CFM has the Mani, TB & CAI for $1400. Tousley has the Manifold for $700. So if your really looking to do it look around for the best price/deal.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...m#.U8BWx_ldUfg
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
$1700?? No one pays that much for the CJ mani package and if they do they got robbed. You can look around and find it for MUCH less. CFM has the Mani, TB & CAI for $1400. Tousley has the Manifold for $700. So if your really looking to do it look around for the best price/deal.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...m#.U8BWx_ldUfg
For one you want the mono blade throttle body.
2. It's not worth the gains over the boss. Unless you plan on staying 100% NA but then for cheaper you can do the electric water pump and add more for less

Old 10-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Using the CJ Intake with a Vortech or Paxton, you need to raise the intake up as well as the hood so it will then fit in order to get clearance for the TB and the head unit. No where near worth the HP gains with FI.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just not worth it in my opinion.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

* For FI, stay with the boss for boost

Old 10-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapinator126 View Post
just not worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my samsung-sm-g870a using mustang evolution mobile app

yur not worth it james... Ur not worth it!!! #laquishagang #cobrajetsetup #swag #naturallyaspirated #gainzzz
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
yur not worth it james... Ur not worth it!!! #laquishagang #cobrajetsetup #swag #naturallyaspirated #gainzzz
For FI lol, ( forced induction )

Old 10-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For FI lol, ( forced induction )

FI IS FOR NERDS. Can't wait till I'm full bolts heads cams E85 James.'Gonna smoke your *** on Slicks. I can see it now. " N/A STANG BEATS FULLY BUILT 400 SHOT TWIN TURBO SUPERCHARGED STANG ". all over the headlines on the newspaper. Im comin for u.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
FI IS FOR NERDS. Can't wait till I'm full bolts heads cams E85 James.'Gonna smoke your *** on Slicks. I can see it now. " N/A STANG BEATS FULLY BUILT 400 SHOT TWIN TURBO SUPERCHARGED STANG ". all over the headlines on the newspaper. Im comin for u.
Lmao.
No bottle with the twins.

It will be nasty once your done, glad to see someone stick with a NA build bc it's alot of $$$$.

Thank god your taking the roush off, bc when I was talking to Danny about my twins, couldn't hear a fkn thing while it was making a pull.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Vortech and Cobra Jet intake

Quote:
Lmao.
No bottle with the twins.

It will be nasty once your done, glad to see someone stick with a NA build bc it's alot of $$$$.

Thank god your taking the roush off, bc when I was talking to Danny about my twins, couldn't hear a fkn thing while it was making a pull.

1.5K for cams by MMR, 2K for heads, E85 Free. 500HP N/A for basically a months worth of work. #hellyes. Can't wait to see that 10MPG (:

Best car in San Antonio, hands down.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1.5K for cams by MMR, 2K for heads, E85 Free. 500HP N/A for basically a months worth of work. #hellyes. Can't wait to see that 10MPG (:

Best car in San Antonio, hands down.
$2,500 for cams from MMR. Thats the cams, the phaser dellete, and VCT lockouts, and there lockouts.

And everything for heads including labor your looking at 3,000-4,000

Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

*vct delete

Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
For one you want the mono blade throttle body.
2. It's not worth the gains over the boss. Unless you plan on staying 100% NA but then for cheaper you can do the electric water pump and add more for less

Ok either way I was just saying he shouldn't be paying full price for the part.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Using the CJ Intake with a Vortech or Paxton, you need to raise the intake up as well as the hood so it will then fit in order to get clearance for the TB and the head unit. No where near worth the HP gains with FI.
Really apreciate all the advice guys. This is why I love ME. Deerslayer, you are one of the main reasons I am thinking Vortech. as a daily driver and no real desire to be a Dyno queen I am fine under 650. I think that will be plenty of fun for strip or street. Boss set up it is! that will still cost me about 1/2 that or close too it but that will be 1/2 looks and 1/2 purpose.

Power is still last. Hydrodip DF interior and gears/driveshaft/shifter support bracket are all first but this forum really does help. thanks guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT