Premium kph cluster swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Premium kph cluster swap

I just bought a premium faceplate. I've looked through the forums and all and j know what it takes to put it in and make everything work the only thing about this one is that it's a kph faceplate. Now my question is since my car is in the states it's obviously in mph I know the cluster will work and I could change the faceplate. Do any of you know if I can get it to read properly? I know the faceplate wouldn't fix that but like do the kph cars have a different speed sensor maybe? Any help would be appreciated!! I haven't got it in yet so I haven't tried anything yet.

If at first you don't succeed. keep flushing!!!
13coyotevahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at the same one on eBay...nice grab. The MPH/KPH are just swapped on the faceplate... Meaning your MPH speedo shows KPH, So there should 't be anything other then swapping to an MPH faceplate, getting the odometer programmed to your mileage and doing a PATS relearn-for a 2013-2014.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
martinzusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Haha ya man I've been looking for a while now!! And that's good to hear!! That's what I figured but idk if it was calibrated different on the inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Replacing the face plates is not too bad. I can tell you when removing the needles, you need to do some things to make them stay in the same spot when you press the needles back on or they will be off the mark.

I have found using two butter knives is the easy way to remove the needles. Make sure nothing moves before you press them back into position. If everything is at zero or to one side when you remove them, make sure that is where they are when you press them back. Tip: take a pic with your phone of the needles positions prior to removing them. Do not rotate them when prying them off with the two knives.
As far as any adjusting the throw of the needles. You will NOT be able to change this as the firmware within the IPC is programmed that way.
That being said.......If you just switch out the faceplates, the speed should still be correct going from KPH to MPH as I believe they have the same points and the travel of the needles is the same. I believe Jim who lives in CA used an american cluster and replaced the faceplate with a KPH faceplate.
Now that only works if you keep within the same type of cluster. A premium GT faceplate will not work with a Boss or Shelby cluster and so forth as the scaling would be different.
What cluster did you buy?
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all your input deerslayer!!

It is a premium cluster with the monitor out of a gt

Old 10-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Idk why my original post said faceplate haha I meant I bought the entire cluster with the kph faceplate on there haha

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

But I don't think that changes anything

Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I just did a side by side comparison with both of them on my phone and the mph and kph points are in the same spot. So just like you said they will work!!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I can attest to deerslayers comment on the needle removal.. Did it on another cluster and marked it's location with tape and pen. Though I thought I got it close, GPS shows MPH is now off by 4 MPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
martinzusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna try and take every precaution so I don't mess it up I'm just afraid of breaking the needle

Old 10-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414470372.408228.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	766.3 KB
ID:	168659

Got it!!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Great job 13coyotevahan. If you want to switch out the face plate to a mph one, Black Cat Customs has some good ones. You wont break the needles. they are tough. Here is what I suggest. Take pics of all the needle locations while it is in with the KPH faceplate. Remove the cluster, lay flat and using two butter knives on each side of the needle center part, twist the knives prying the needle off. It will POP off and fly. Dont move the cluster. Repeat until you get all of the needles off. Simply replace the face plate with your new one.
NOW......
Very lightly put the needles back on. DO NOT PRESS THEM ALL THE WAY. Just enough for them to hold.
Plug the cluster back in and turn on the car and look at the needle positions. Mark on a sheet ANY adjustments that you may need to make.
Now, remove the cluster and the needles that need adjusting will pop of easy. Make the adjustment the same way only lightly pressing it on until you get all of the needles in the positions you want. When you do, simply press them all the way on.
People do not realize, they are not "geared" needles. They are simply press fit on a small shaft that freely rotates when not electronically charged. Just take your time and do these steps and you can replace the faceplate like a pro.

BTW, looks like you have, but make sure to have done all your install (PATS, Module Programming etc) and getting the cluster operating properly before changing out the face plate. BTW.....IT LOOKS GREAT the way you have it
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I already have their website saved!! But thank you!!

Old 11-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13coyotevahan View Post
I like it. You should keep the kph, and prettend like you're going 200+mph!

Tell people, watch how fast I hit 0-60.... little do they know its only 37mph.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT