Mustang Evolution Forum banner

UPR oil catch can after 3800 miles

13K views 81 replies 21 participants last post by  Fintile 
#1 ·
Muffler Auto part Ring Circle Metal
Material property Finger Drinkware Cup
Muffler
, if anyone is using the UPR catch can system , check the hose that goes to the valve on the intake , it will collapse from the oil and heat

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#36 ·
#40 ·
I have read the white papers on this site as well as checked out the oil separator design. It looks pretty good and I wouldn't mind testing it out myself but I don't think I could get that can to fit anywhere under the hood of the Mustang.

Wayne

#39 ·
Another thought on valve cover filters is they can turn your valve train into the catch as the filter causes moisture and oil to not make it passed the filter. At least with the external filter or catch it leaves the engine to filter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#42 ·
There are a couple of things I don't like about the Conceptual Polymer can and that is that it seems like you can't let more than 1/2 oz of fluid gather in the can because it can't touch the filtering system and that you also have to replace or clean the filter.

Wayne

#45 ·
Cleaning the media is a must regardless the design. I chose the glass so you can monitor and dump when necessary. Just ordered mine so can't comment yet on its effectiveness. If you check out some vette forums you will see good results.

I'm not saying it's the best, but after the information on the other designs that is presented it was the best choice for me. When I tried to find information on competitors design and filtration setup I found little to nothing. If I'm gonna drop over a hundred on a catch can I needed more than a fancy cylinder with steel wool in the cap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#49 ·
Which Bob's Auto Sports can will fit the 3.7? I see listings for the GT and Shelby.

#50 ·
I think it should be able to fit in the same spot that the GT uses on the passenger side strut tower where one of the grounds is bolted to. Your PVC valve is on the passenger side isn't it? If you call Steve at Bob's, he should be able to tell you for sure.

Wayne

#53 ·
Thanks for the info. I really think that all of these filters mentioned are reasonably good and if your intake is clear of oil than that is the best one could hope for. The prices on some of these units are borderline for same result.

I'm glad you ran them in series. I like this idea and for the money the Sakou Michi two can system would be a good choice for that. Overkill perhaps but at the cost still cheaper than the RX single.

#54 ·
For the price, the Sakiou Michi cans can't be beat and from what I've read, their construction is top notch. I think a lot of the import crowd is using the Sakiou Michi two can system. I guess the only negative is that pretty much all of his cans are made to order and can take up to a couple of months to come in.

Wayne

#60 ·
Idle shouldn't be affected because the line is still connected on both sides like stock... the difference is that the oil catch can is now placed in the middle. Barring any vacuum leaks from the installation of the catch can... the vacuum is still the same... therefore no changes in idle!:D

#65 ·
Placed an order for the Saikou Michi s3 version and cancelled the CP. It will take 6 weeks to receive it. After several emails with SM and there real world experience with designing for NA and forced induction systems they seemed a better choice. We will see.

#66 ·
Sounds good. Let us know what you think when you get it installed and in use. That is the other can that looks promising. Do you know what kind of brackets they send for mounting? Where do you think you will mount it?

I mounted the RX can in the corner of the engine compartment next to the brake booster but I had to remove the sound tube. That was the only place that it would fit. I think the Saikou Michi has the same type of bracket welded to the can body as the RX did.

Wayne

#67 ·
Just to add to what Grabber Blue 5.0 said, Ford Racing recommends a JLT catch can, and requires you to use it if you get "Pinging" from the tunes. Like GB said, it reduces octane with the oil mixed with the air. So if you have a Ford Racing theme under the hood, a JLT will go along with it

Back in the old days Ford had Catch cans and closed breather Filters on their PVC valved hi performance motors. I think the 2011+ GT 500s also have them. Problem with John Q public is they didn't change the filters in the factory catch cans and caused worse problems. Working in Auto stores I saw the closed breather filters on FE sized Ford Big Blocks all fouled up and making the engines run smoky and bad in the LTD, LIncons and other large barge cars of the late 70s

#68 ·
supposedly JLT improved their catch cans but the earlier versions didn't seem to work very well. On the same forum where I did my RX vs Bob's test, a member tested a RX can against his original version JLT and the JLT did not do well at all. That member now runs the RX can. I have not read any reviews of the revised JLT cans so I'm not sure how they are doing.

Wayne

#70 ·
My JLT seems to work just fine

It does pick up oil and the hose on the left PVC side is oily. The hose on the right is always pretty dry. I really can't find any downside to the JLT at all but I'm sure there are some better ones with some features the JLT don't have.

I think anything you use is way better then no catch can at all.
Ronnie

#71 ·
Any good write ups on how to install for a n00b?

I got a bobs motor sports I need to put on.

Why do we only put it on one side? Isn't there oil on the drivers as well?

Mine has a valve on the bottom. Is that to drain oil?

I'm a little lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#76 ·
1. Any good write ups on how to install for a n00b?

I got a bobs motor sports I need to put on.

2. Why do we only put it on one side? Isn't there oil on the drivers as well?

3. Mine has a valve on the bottom. Is that to drain oil?

I'm a little lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

1. Route Intake manifold line to the top of the can, route PCV to the bottom, thats pretty much it. As far as mounting it, i opted for the firewall mount, so i drilled 2 holes in the firewall to attach it, but i believe their default point is the strut tower.

2. Pressure differential. The drivers side PCV is actually bringing fresh air IN the crankcase. There is a vacuum in your intake, but due to the throttle body it is limited, and therefore less, than the vacuum in your intake manifold. Since one side of crankcase is connected to the IM and the other to the intake, the air actually flows in the drivers side, through the crankcase, and out the passenger side into the IM.

3. Yes, that is to drain it. Its important to make sure that stays closed, as you'll have a vacuum leak (as well as a mess) if it is left open.

#74 ·
#75 ·
See Limitless Performance out of Texas for Breathers.

#80 ·
The PCV valve does come out but I'm not sure how. Some people install the PCV valve from a GT500 which is supposed to slow the amount of oil that comes out of the valve.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.