UPR oil catch can after 3800 miles - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Yes I mean the upper design. Go to UPR's website and look at the design of their newer can for the 2015 Mustang GT. Totally different than their original billet cans. I have not had a chance to personally look or use their newer design so I don't know how well it works but it looks like it will be more effective. UPR says that the newer design can be used on the older cars as well.

Wayne
Is this the one you are talking about?
11-15 Mustang GT Plug & Play Oil Catch Can Separator | UPR

Looks like a lot of the designs ive seen out there already.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
No, I'm talking about this version.
15 Mustang GT Plug N Play SC Oil Catch Can Separator | UPR
The one you linked to is just like their original version only smaller and IMHO, not worth having. I think they keep their original version because it's at their lowest price point and they want to offer products for different prices.

Most people who run these cans only seem to care about seeing oil in the can. They don't think about whether or not oil is still getting past the can and into the intake.

Read this thread if you have time on a comparison test done by someone on the F150 forum who tested his original style UPR can against another brand can and how the UPR can did not fare so well and how during the life of this thread Joe from UPR told how they were going to make their product better. The new versions of the cans you see today are a result of this.
http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-upr...s-test-254381/

Wayne

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

The one you linked to is just like their original version only smaller and IMHO, not worth having. I think they keep their original version because it's at their lowest price point and they want to offer products for different prices.

Most people who run these cans only seem to care about seeing oil in the can. They don't think about whether or not oil is still getting past the can and into the intake.

Read this thread if you have time on a comparison test done by someone on the F150 forum who tested his original style UPR can against another brand can and how the UPR can did not fare so well and how during the life of this thread Joe from UPR told how they were going to make their product better. The new versions of the cans you see today are a result of this.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have done pretty extensive research on the all of the catch cans on the market. Most applications on the market only do half the job and can leak under vacuum etc. Check out this site and read the white papers that are available that pretty well sum up all of the designs on the market pros and cons. http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV%20Line%20Oil%20Removal%20102.pdf

They have also developed some good options. HE Air/Oil Separator Page
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

5.0 UPR vs RX Catch Can Effectiveness Test - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Ah I see, the material inside the can and interior design is much different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
I have done pretty extensive research on the all of the catch cans on the market. Most applications on the market only do half the job and can leak under vacuum etc. Check out this site and read the white papers that are available that pretty well sum up all of the designs on the market pros and cons. http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV%20Line%20Oil%20Removal%20102.pdf

I think ive read this before...its partly why i just disconnected the line going to the intake to begin with on my previous cars. i just routed to a can with a breather at the top.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Some tracks can get sticky about just bypass with filters passing safety inspection with possibility of oil drips on track surface.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Another thought on valve cover filters is they can turn your valve train into the catch as the filter causes moisture and oil to not make it passed the filter. At least with the external filter or catch it leaves the engine to filter.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have read the white papers on this site as well as checked out the oil separator design. It looks pretty good and I wouldn't mind testing it out myself but I don't think I could get that can to fit anywhere under the hood of the Mustang.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

The cooler the location the better. Pretty small unit...front bumper area with longer hose would pose negligible vacuum drop.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

There are a couple of things I don't like about the Conceptual Polymer can and that is that it seems like you can't let more than 1/2 oz of fluid gather in the can because it can't touch the filtering system and that you also have to replace or clean the filter.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The cooler the location the better. Pretty small unit...front bumper area with longer hose would pose negligible vacuum drop.

Do you run this unit on your Mustang? If so, do you see any signs of oil at the hose at the intake? Thanks.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another thought on valve cover filters is they can turn your valve train into the catch as the filter causes moisture and oil to not make it passed the filter. At least with the external filter or catch it leaves the engine to filter.

Im not sure i follow you on this. isnt the point of the catch to just not let the oil back into the intake?
Old 12-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are a couple of things I don't like about the Conceptual Polymer can and that is that it seems like you can't let more than 1/2 oz of fluid gather in the can because it can't touch the filtering system and that you also have to replace or clean the filter.

Wayne
Cleaning the media is a must regardless the design. I chose the glass so you can monitor and dump when necessary. Just ordered mine so can't comment yet on its effectiveness. If you check out some vette forums you will see good results.

I'm not saying it's the best, but after the information on the other designs that is presented it was the best choice for me. When I tried to find information on competitors design and filtration setup I found little to nothing. If I'm gonna drop over a hundred on a catch can I needed more than a fancy cylinder with steel wool in the cap.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Im not sure i follow you on this. isnt the point of the catch to just not let the oil back into the intake?
After reading about it I learned blow by is moisture, oil, dust, and soot. The vacuum pulls blow by out of the engine reducing condesation sludge etc. Eliminating oil to the intake is the main goal to keep from lowering air fuel quality. I was saying eliminating the pcv with just breather filters at the valve covers might act like a barrier when blow by pushes through the filter trapping moisture dust soot inside the engine. I'm no expert that's just my understanding after researching.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After reading about it I learned blow by is moisture, oil, dust, and soot. The vacuum pulls blow by out of the engine reducing condesation sludge etc. Eliminating oil to the intake is the main goal to keep from lowering air fuel quality. I was saying eliminating the pcv with just breather filters at the valve covers might act like a barrier when blow by pushes through the filter trapping moisture dust soot inside the engine. I'm no expert that's just my understanding after researching.

AHHH, ok that makes sense...
Old 12-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cleaning the media is a must regardless the design. I chose the glass so you can monitor and dump when necessary. Just ordered mine so can't comment yet on its effectiveness. If you check out some vette forums you will see good results.

I'm not saying it's the best, but after the information on the other designs that is presented it was the best choice for me. When I tried to find information on competitors design and filtration setup I found little to nothing. If I'm gonna drop over a hundred on a catch can I needed more than a fancy cylinder with steel wool in the cap.

I've seen pictures of the insides of many catch cans and most of them use some type of stainless steel mesh to catch the oil. Most of the mesh is not small enough to make cleaning a necessity and none of them specifically state you have to clean it.

I will be interested to hear what you think of the can in actual use once you start using it. Catch cans have become somewhat an interest of mine and I like to hear other's results when using the different designs.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #51
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Which Bob's Auto Sports can will fit the 3.7? I see listings for the GT and Shelby.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Which Bob's Auto Sports can will fit the 3.7? I see listings for the GT and Shelby.
I think it should be able to fit in the same spot that the GT uses on the passenger side strut tower where one of the grounds is bolted to. Your PVC valve is on the passenger side isn't it? If you call Steve at Bob's, he should be able to tell you for sure.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've seen pictures of the insides of many catch cans and most of them use some type of stainless steel mesh to catch the oil. Most of the mesh is not small enough to make cleaning a necessity and none of them specifically state you have to clean it.

I will be interested to hear what you think of the can in actual use once you start using it. Catch cans have become somewhat an interest of mine and I like to hear other's results when using the different designs.

Wayne
I know you have quite a bit of experience with these things. I did see that RX and CP makers don't share the same beliefs on entrapment and testing. What are your thoughts on the RX can being the so called best? I was kicking around running the Sakiou Michi twin cans and plumbing them in series for a double pass filtration. So much "mine is best' without real world proof to back it up.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know you have quite a bit of experience with these things. I did see that RX and CP makers don't share the same beliefs on entrapment and testing. What are your thoughts on the RX can being the so called best? I was kicking around running the Sakiou Michi twin cans and plumbing them in series for a double pass filtration. So much "mine is best' without real world proof to back it up.
Well, I actually did a test on the mustangsource website where I tested my Bob's catch can against the RX can. I ran the cans in series with the Bob's can first in series and the RX can after it and then reversed the test with the RX can first and the Bob's can second.

In the first phase of the test where the Bob's can was first, I didn't get any oil to drain out of the RX can, only a few drops that were caught in the threads in the end of the ball valve. This told me that my Bob's can was pretty effective and that only trace amounts of oil were getting past it.

In the second phase of the test with the RX can first, the Bob's can caught about a 1/4 of an oz of oil if my memory is correct which led me to believe that the RX can was not as effective as the Bob's can in my application.

I think the RX can is still very good and wouldn't hesitate to use it.

The Sakiou Michi can is also supposed to be one of the best and is one of the cans that RX supposedly tested against their can and considers it to be slightly less effective than theirs. I've thought about trying one of their cans because they seem to be a good design. Apex and Elite Engineering are also two other cans that RX endorses that they claim are nearly as good as theirs but they mostly cater to the GM crowd but could be used on the Mustang if you could fab up a bracket that would work on our cars.

As I stated above, the new design UPR can intrigues me and I would like to try it as well.

It really is hard to determine which can is the best unless you can try each one on your vehicle and unless you have unlimited amounts of money, that could get very expensive. I've personally tried the original style UPR and then tried it with the different versions of diffusers they came out with, the RX can, and the Bob's can and for me personally, the Bob's has been what I consider the best so far out of those three. I'm sure there are some out there that will do better than the Bob's can.

Of course part of my requirements for being the best is that I don't find very much evidence of oil or oil film at the intake, not just how much oil the can actually catches. Not every one cares about the first part of that.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info. I really think that all of these filters mentioned are reasonably good and if your intake is clear of oil than that is the best one could hope for. The prices on some of these units are borderline for same result.

I'm glad you ran them in series. I like this idea and for the money the Sakou Michi two can system would be a good choice for that. Overkill perhaps but at the cost still cheaper than the RX single.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

For the price, the Sakiou Michi cans can't be beat and from what I've read, their construction is top notch. I think a lot of the import crowd is using the Sakiou Michi two can system. I guess the only negative is that pretty much all of his cans are made to order and can take up to a couple of months to come in.

Wayne
Old 12-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
The Bob's OCC can be mounted to the firewall on the 3.7, we have done it on my fiances car. However, due to the nature of the 3.7 manifold, you need a very stiff hose to make the required "bend" around the manifold. You should be using a silicone reinforced hose anyways, but a cheap hose will collapse at that angle, a good hose does not. I'll try to snag a picture later for better clarification.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

See here the extreme angle the lower hose has to make due to the shape of the manifold. There really isnt an easy way to go about this though, so a strong reinforced hose is the best bet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	172568   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	172569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	032.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	172570  
Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

interesting... where did you get this "Bob's" OCC?
Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

From Bob. Bob's Auto Sports

There's no V6 specific kit though. Just get the bare bones kit, add the firewall adapter, a few barbed 5/8" fittings from Ace, and some silicone reinforced hose from O'reileys and call it a day.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

There's no V6 specific kit though. Just get the bare bones kit, add the firewall adapter, a few barbed 5/8" fittings from Ace, and some silicone reinforced hose from O'reileys and call it a day.
works for me...hows the idle after having one on?
I noticed that you cant just take the factory PCV tube off with out it stalling
Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Idle shouldn't be affected because the line is still connected on both sides like stock... the difference is that the oil catch can is now placed in the middle. Barring any vacuum leaks from the installation of the catch can... the vacuum is still the same... therefore no changes in idle!
Grabber Orange 2007 GT 5-sp...Fang Performance Twister Special package. , 3.55:1 Limited Slip, Shaker 500, Predator tuned, C&L 95mm CAI, Borla X-pipe and cat-back exhaust. Hurst Comp Plus short throw shifter, 18x9 Black Bullitts with Nitto tires, "Stop the Hop" suspension package, suspension package, Koni Struts and shocks, SR lowering springs, SR double adjustable panhard bar, SR rear shock tower brace, 28200 miles
FangStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here we go...the answer to all our problems...LOL
Square Style Billet Aluminum 750ml Oil Catch Reservoir Breather Tank Can Blue | eBay
Old 12-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

27.99? I'll order like 3 and just run them in line and call it a day.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
27.99? I'll order like 3 and just run them in line and call it a day.
There you go! LOL
Old 01-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

5.0 UPR vs RX Catch Can Effectiveness Test - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Wayne

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Wayne
Well, since UPR is having a 14% off sale right now, I decided to try out their new catch can design that I posted about above. I will be curious to see if it does a better job than my Bob's can.

Wayne
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Placed an order for the Saikou Michi s3 version and cancelled the CP. It will take 6 weeks to receive it. After several emails with SM and there real world experience with designing for NA and forced induction systems they seemed a better choice. We will see.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Placed an order for the Saikou Michi s3 version and cancelled the CP. It will take 6 weeks to receive it. After several emails with SM and there real world experience with designing for NA and forced induction systems they seemed a better choice. We will see.
Sounds good. Let us know what you think when you get it installed and in use. That is the other can that looks promising. Do you know what kind of brackets they send for mounting? Where do you think you will mount it?

I mounted the RX can in the corner of the engine compartment next to the brake booster but I had to remove the sound tube. That was the only place that it would fit. I think the Saikou Michi has the same type of bracket welded to the can body as the RX did.

Wayne
Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just to add to what Grabber Blue 5.0 said, Ford Racing recommends a JLT catch can, and requires you to use it if you get "Pinging" from the tunes. Like GB said, it reduces octane with the oil mixed with the air. So if you have a Ford Racing theme under the hood, a JLT will go along with it

Back in the old days Ford had Catch cans and closed breather Filters on their PVC valved hi performance motors. I think the 2011+ GT 500s also have them. Problem with John Q public is they didn't change the filters in the factory catch cans and caused worse problems. Working in Auto stores I saw the closed breather filters on FE sized Ford Big Blocks all fouled up and making the engines run smoky and bad in the LTD, LIncons and other large barge cars of the late 70s
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

supposedly JLT improved their catch cans but the earlier versions didn't seem to work very well. On the same forum where I did my RX vs Bob's test, a member tested a RX can against his original version JLT and the JLT did not do well at all. That member now runs the RX can. I have not read any reviews of the revised JLT cans so I'm not sure how they are doing.

Wayne

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT