Mustang Evolution Forum banner

UPR oil catch can after 3800 miles

13K views 81 replies 21 participants last post by  Fintile 
#1 ·
Muffler Auto part Ring Circle Metal
Material property Finger Drinkware Cup
Muffler
, if anyone is using the UPR catch can system , check the hose that goes to the valve on the intake , it will collapse from the oil and heat

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#3 ·
if anyone is using the UPR catch can system , check the hose that goes to the valve on the intake , it will collapse from the oil and heat
This is why I like my JLT catch can. The JLT uses stock Ford hoses and are easy to install and empty when needed. The Ford hoses won't collapse.
Ronnie

#5 ·
The only thing I dont like about the JLT is that it says JLT on the lid. That would clash with the branding I have in mind for my engine bay, Ford Racing.

#8 ·
Thats a good question ?????????

So I have to remove the check valve when running this UPR oil catch system ?
I did not on my 3.7 using a JLT catch can. The instructions did not mention removing it. I don't think you are supposed to remove it but I could be wrong.

Ronnie

#9 ·
Only time the check valve needs to be removed is when run breathers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

*running

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#11 ·
Wait, seriously? That's all the oil you had in there after 3800 miles? That's a very small amount. Is this even something people need to be worried so much about. People are talking about valve getting clogged with gunk and sludge and longevity. Seeing this makes me second guess all that.

#23 ·
Because manufacturers know that the average owner will never bother to drain the catch can, so routing it into the intake and combustion is the easiest and surest way that it gets taken care of. The average owner would just let the catch can fill up until it was sucking large amounts out of the can and into the engine - so the chance for damage is far greater with that type of owner.

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Fintile

You asked:
if it's so detrimental to your engine. Why is it set up the way it is stock (no catch can)? It can't be that big of an issue.
The cars used to have a tube that just put the blow-by oil onto the ground. It was really bad for the environment let alone oiling the street and making things really deadly in the rain.
The Government made the car company's come up with a solution. The PCV VALVE was born and still in use today. It works fine for 99% of car owners.
********************************BUT*************************************************
Some of us like to go a step farther and not have the blow-by crud up the engine because it all does not burn like it is supposed to. The catch can is not 100% needed but still a very good product to use if you plan on keeping your car for a very long time.
I clean out my JLT catch can about every 1,000 miles. Sometimes there is a lot of oil and sometimes not so much.
I also use an old time breather at my filler cap.

If your going to be trading your car every few years and don't care about super long term you can just not worry about putting a catch can on your engine.

Ronnie

#15 ·
Oh interesting. Makes sense...i just know from past experience that with my NA builds it wasn't a huge issue. Turbo and FI it really had a lot more so I would get them, but what your saying is very close to what I was thinking. If really long term 200k+ is not where your going to be then don't worry so much about it. Then again how .any people keep a car past 160k miles any.ore? ( I know some people do but most trade up by that time.)

#17 ·
I keep my cars a long time

I had a 1978 GMC van that I put 270,000 miles on before it died.
I have a 1988 Samuari that has over 200,000 on it and still going strong.

I'm hoping that my 2012 Mustang will outlast me. I don't drive as much as I used to but still enjoy driving.

Ronnie

#18 · (Edited)
That too

The catch can will also do like Grabber Blue 5.0 say's.
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
It's more about keeping oil out of the intake which lowers the octane of the gas you are using. For those of us tuned it can be an issue.
The blow-by oil is supposed to be burned up in the combustion and I"m sure it has to dilute the gas, but the main reason was environmental.

Like I say:
If your going to be trading your car every few years and don't care about super long term you can just not worry about putting a catch can on your engine.
Anyway you look at it, Putting on the oil catch can is well worth doing and you can always take it off when you sell your car in the future. It has all good features and no bad ones except you have to empty it once in a while.
Ronnie

PS: I personally like the JLT because it comes complete ready to use with genuine Ford hoses and clamps. All you do is unplug the stock hose ans plug in the JLT.

If you do buy one that you need to get your own hose just be sure you get the proper hose that will not collapse on you when the hot oil goes through it. The hose has to be the stiff plastic type.

#19 ·
I dunno 7k since my last oil change (due again now, though the OLM, says 30% still left) and the oil level on the dip stick has not changed. Oil doesn't seem to be going anywhere so in my case I don't see the need for a catch can.

-Jeff

#21 ·
I dunno 7k since my last oil change (due again now, though the OLM, says 30% still left) and the oil level on the dip stick has not changed. Oil doesn't seem to be going anywhere so in my case I don't see the need for a catch can.
Well you won't necessarily see the oil level drop on the dipstick. That doesn't mean it's still not getting into the intake though. But if you're not tuned and don't care about the octane level then no it's not necessarily needed. But for guys like me that have their cars tuned to run on 93 octane or more you bet your ass it's needed.

#20 ·
You won't notice a loss on your dip stick

It is not very much, Just enough to sludge up an engine with any that does not make it into the combustion chamber and burn.
It is not a compulsory item to put on your car but it sure don't hurt to have one.

As you know, People change Mufflers ( The car came with them)
They change Air cleaners to a CAI ( Mustangs came with them.)
Some change the PCU with a tuner. ( Car came tuned)

Some of us don't like the PCV valve and add the oil catch can even though the car came with a PCV Valve. The oil catch can may not be needed but it certainly does keep the slight amount on blow-by out of the intake manifold.

All cars come with everything you need to drive around but there is always ways to improve a car to personal standards
Ronnie

#22 ·
Saw these listed as driver and passenger side... Are two needed? If one only, then which side is preferable?

#25 ·
Only the passenger side for a 3.7 V6

You don't need or want a catch can on the drivers side of a 3.7 V6 cyclone but a breather in place of the cap ,although not needed, will do a lot from stopping any foaming in the crankcase when running hard.
Ronnie

#26 ·
You don't need or want a catch can on the drivers side of a 3.7 V6 cyclone but a breather in place of the cap ,although not needed, will do a lot from stopping any foaming in the crankcase when running hard.
Ronnie

Only needed on the passenger side if you're using a catch can. I run breathers so I have them on both sides.
This is also very good to know. I've noticed in other cars that a breather in place of the oil feed cap really smooths the engine out in the upper rpm

#27 ·
You can't really feel anything

All it does is eliminate the turbulence in the oil pan. You will get no more power or feel anything. On these new engines it is probably not needed unless you drive hard and long or do a lot of high RPM driving.

I always used a breather cap on all of my cars and My Mustang is no different.
Ronnie

#28 ·
View attachment 168385 View attachment 168386 View attachment 168387 , if anyone is using the UPR catch can system , check the hose that goes to the valve on the intake , it will collapse from the oil and heat

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Its the vacuum that causes it to collapse, not necessarily the oil and heat. The lines need to be reinforced, you shouldn't even be able to crush the hose with your hand, let alone engine vacuum.

This is why I like my JLT catch can. The JLT uses stock Ford hoses and are easy to install and empty when needed. The Ford hoses won't collapse.
Ronnie
The JLT is proven to be ineffective compared to the other kits that are more "remote mounted," because it doesn't really allow the oil time to fall out of suspension and is a small can. Ease of install is really its only perk.

If you want some strength and durability, you could pick up some fuel injection hose in the same size.
I've no first hand experience with that hose, but typically its recommended to use a reinforced silicone hose that is meant for PCV gases, other wise the oil vapors will break the hose down over time and turn it to goop.

Wait, seriously? That's all the oil you had in there after 3800 miles? That's a very small amount. Is this even something people need to be worried so much about. People are talking about valve getting clogged with gunk and sludge and longevity. Seeing this makes me second guess all that.
No oil is getting through because his hose is completely collapsing, it may as well be completely blocked off; ergo, no oil is getting through.

#29 ·
Be aware that in a lot of cases, that design of UPR catch can still lets quite a bit of oil get through to the intake. Check your hose that attaches to your intake and see if the inside of the hose is wet with oil. They will catch oil though.

I used to run that style on my 14GT and my fiancee still runs it on her 07 GT and my hose was always soaked with oil and hers is too. I can't get her to spend the money to get something else. I switched to a Bob's can and now only get a slight film inside the hose and quick connect.

#33 ·
I have absolutely no problem with the JLT catch can

It does catch oil, I have to empty it at about 1,000 or so miles and there is always oil in it. It is easy to take off and empty. It is well made.
No problems here.
Ronnie

#35 ·
No, I'm talking about this version.
15 Mustang GT Plug N Play SC Oil Catch Can Separator | UPR
The one you linked to is just like their original version only smaller and IMHO, not worth having. I think they keep their original version because it's at their lowest price point and they want to offer products for different prices.

Most people who run these cans only seem to care about seeing oil in the can. They don't think about whether or not oil is still getting past the can and into the intake.

Read this thread if you have time on a comparison test done by someone on the F150 forum who tested his original style UPR can against another brand can and how the UPR can did not fare so well and how during the life of this thread Joe from UPR told how they were going to make their product better. The new versions of the cans you see today are a result of this.
http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-upr-vs-rx-catch-can-effectiveness-test-254381/

Wayne

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

The one you linked to is just like their original version only smaller and IMHO, not worth having. I think they keep their original version because it's at their lowest price point and they want to offer products for different prices.

Most people who run these cans only seem to care about seeing oil in the can. They don't think about whether or not oil is still getting past the can and into the intake.

Read this thread if you have time on a comparison test done by someone on the F150 forum who tested his original style UPR can against another brand can and how the UPR can did not fare so well and how during the life of this thread Joe from UPR told how they were going to make their product better. The new versions of the cans you see today are a result of this.

Wayne

#37 ·

5.0 UPR vs RX Catch Can Effectiveness Test - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Ah I see, the material inside the can and interior design is much different...

I have done pretty extensive research on the all of the catch cans on the market. Most applications on the market only do half the job and can leak under vacuum etc. Check out this site and read the white papers that are available that pretty well sum up all of the designs on the market pros and cons. http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV%20Line%20Oil%20Removal%20102.pdf

They have also developed some good options. HE Air/Oil Separator Page
I think ive read this before...its partly why i just disconnected the line going to the intake to begin with on my previous cars. i just routed to a can with a breather at the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.