UPR oil catch can after 3800 miles - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
UPR oil catch can after 3800 miles

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414122986.568536.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	874.1 KB
ID:	168385Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414123015.702839.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	935.5 KB
ID:	168386Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414123042.097732.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	1,002.6 KB
ID:	168387, if anyone is using the UPR catch can system , check the hose that goes to the valve on the intake , it will collapse from the oil and heat

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
dentman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just run breather filters on valve covers. It relieves crankcase pressure and looks way better. 1000 miles and zero oil in engine bay.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Quote:
if anyone is using the UPR catch can system , check the hose that goes to the valve on the intake , it will collapse from the oil and heat
This is why I like my JLT catch can. The JLT uses stock Ford hoses and are easy to install and empty when needed. The Ford hoses won't collapse.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Region: North Carolina
If you want some strength and durability, you could pick up some fuel injection hose in the same size.
sloppymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
This is why I like my JLT catch can. The JLT uses stock Ford hoses and are easy to install and empty when needed. The Ford hoses won't collapse.
Ronnie
The only thing I dont like about the JLT is that it says JLT on the lid. That would clash with the branding I have in mind for my engine bay, Ford Racing.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Just run breather filters on valve covers. It relieves crankcase pressure and looks way better. 1000 miles and zero oil in engine bay.

And don't forget to pull the check valve from the passenger side.
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So I have to remove the check valve when running this UPR oil catch system ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dentman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thats a good question ?????????

Quote:
So I have to remove the check valve when running this UPR oil catch system ?
I did not on my 3.7 using a JLT catch can. The instructions did not mention removing it. I don't think you are supposed to remove it but I could be wrong.

Ronnie
Old 10-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Only time the check valve needs to be removed is when run breathers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

*running

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctr154 View Post
And don't forget to pull the check valve from the passenger side.

Yes Sir, I did do that.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Wait, seriously? That's all the oil you had in there after 3800 miles? That's a very small amount. Is this even something people need to be worried so much about. People are talking about valve getting clogged with gunk and sludge and longevity. Seeing this makes me second guess all that.
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I guess amount of oil also depends on your driving habits. If it's just a DD and you don't really push it, I'd say yeah its normal to have 1/4 can of oil after 3800 miles. However if you redline/track it more often than not, it be a completely different story.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

True, but if it's so detrimental to your engine. Why is it set up the way it is stock (no catch can)? It can't be that big of an issue.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Fintile

You asked:
Quote:
if it's so detrimental to your engine. Why is it set up the way it is stock (no catch can)? It can't be that big of an issue.
The cars used to have a tube that just put the blow-by oil onto the ground. It was really bad for the environment let alone oiling the street and making things really deadly in the rain.
The Government made the car company's come up with a solution. The PCV VALVE was born and still in use today. It works fine for 99% of car owners.
********************************BUT*************************************************
Some of us like to go a step farther and not have the blow-by crud up the engine because it all does not burn like it is supposed to. The catch can is not 100% needed but still a very good product to use if you plan on keeping your car for a very long time.
I clean out my JLT catch can about every 1,000 miles. Sometimes there is a lot of oil and sometimes not so much.
I also use an old time breather at my filler cap.

If your going to be trading your car every few years and don't care about super long term you can just not worry about putting a catch can on your engine.

Ronnie
Old 12-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oh interesting. Makes sense...i just know from past experience that with my NA builds it wasn't a huge issue. Turbo and FI it really had a lot more so I would get them, but what your saying is very close to what I was thinking. If really long term 200k+ is not where your going to be then don't worry so much about it. Then again how .any people keep a car past 160k miles any.ore? ( I know some people do but most trade up by that time.)
Old 12-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It's more about keeping oil out of the intake which lowers the octane of the gas you are using. For those of us tuned it can be an issue.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I keep my cars a long time

I had a 1978 GMC van that I put 270,000 miles on before it died.
I have a 1988 Samuari that has over 200,000 on it and still going strong.

I'm hoping that my 2012 Mustang will outlast me. I don't drive as much as I used to but still enjoy driving.

Ronnie
Old 12-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
It's more about keeping oil out of the intake which lowers the octane of the gas you are using. For those of us tuned it can be an issue.

Why I run mine

Oklahoma has crappy gas. Need all the help I can to keep up octane level.

20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

That too

The catch can will also do like Grabber Blue 5.0 say's.
Quote:
The blow-by oil is supposed to be burned up in the combustion and I"m sure it has to dilute the gas, but the main reason was environmental.

Like I say:
Quote:
If your going to be trading your car every few years and don't care about super long term you can just not worry about putting a catch can on your engine.
Anyway you look at it, Putting on the oil catch can is well worth doing and you can always take it off when you sell your car in the future. It has all good features and no bad ones except you have to empty it once in a while.
Ronnie

PS: I personally like the JLT because it comes complete ready to use with genuine Ford hoses and clamps. All you do is unplug the stock hose ans plug in the JLT.

If you do buy one that you need to get your own hose just be sure you get the proper hose that will not collapse on you when the hot oil goes through it. The hose has to be the stiff plastic type.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I dunno 7k since my last oil change (due again now, though the OLM, says 30% still left) and the oil level on the dip stick has not changed. Oil doesn't seem to be going anywhere so in my case I don't see the need for a catch can.

-Jeff
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You won't notice a loss on your dip stick

It is not very much, Just enough to sludge up an engine with any that does not make it into the combustion chamber and burn.
It is not a compulsory item to put on your car but it sure don't hurt to have one.

As you know, People change Mufflers ( The car came with them)
They change Air cleaners to a CAI ( Mustangs came with them.)
Some change the PCU with a tuner. ( Car came tuned)

Some of us don't like the PCV valve and add the oil catch can even though the car came with a PCV Valve. The oil catch can may not be needed but it certainly does keep the slight amount on blow-by out of the intake manifold.

All cars come with everything you need to drive around but there is always ways to improve a car to personal standards
Ronnie
Old 12-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I dunno 7k since my last oil change (due again now, though the OLM, says 30% still left) and the oil level on the dip stick has not changed. Oil doesn't seem to be going anywhere so in my case I don't see the need for a catch can.
Well you won't necessarily see the oil level drop on the dipstick. That doesn't mean it's still not getting into the intake though. But if you're not tuned and don't care about the octane level then no it's not necessarily needed. But for guys like me that have their cars tuned to run on 93 octane or more you bet your *** it's needed.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post
Why I run mine

Oklahoma has crappy gas. Need all the help I can to keep up octane level.

This!!! All of this right here is what I've been missing!!
I had no idea it hurts the octane levels. A guy on the Cyclone FB page mentioned how he has been tuned for e85. His tuner could only get him so much more power with it and gave him 3 options. 2 of which were just ball sack dumb, but the first was to get a catch can. By doing this he was able to advance timing enough he gained an extra 30 hp from where he was before. I couldn't see how it did that but THIS explains it all. My eyes are open and I've seen the light!!
Old 12-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Saw these listed as driver and passenger side... Are two needed? If one only, then which side is preferable?
Grabber Orange 2007 GT 5-sp...Fang Performance Twister Special package. , 3.55:1 Limited Slip, Shaker 500, Predator tuned, C&L 95mm CAI, Borla X-pipe and cat-back exhaust. Hurst Comp Plus short throw shifter, 18x9 Black Bullitts with Nitto tires, "Stop the Hop" suspension package, suspension package, Koni Struts and shocks, SR lowering springs, SR double adjustable panhard bar, SR rear shock tower brace, 28200 miles
FangStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
True, but if it's so detrimental to your engine. Why is it set up the way it is stock (no catch can)? It can't be that big of an issue.
Because manufacturers know that the average owner will never bother to drain the catch can, so routing it into the intake and combustion is the easiest and surest way that it gets taken care of. The average owner would just let the catch can fill up until it was sucking large amounts out of the can and into the engine - so the chance for damage is far greater with that type of owner.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Only needed on the passenger side if you're using a catch can. I run breathers so I have them on both sides.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Only the passenger side for a 3.7 V6

You don't need or want a catch can on the drivers side of a 3.7 V6 cyclone but a breather in place of the cap ,although not needed, will do a lot from stopping any foaming in the crankcase when running hard.
Ronnie
Old 12-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't need or want a catch can on the drivers side of a 3.7 V6 cyclone but a breather in place of the cap ,although not needed, will do a lot from stopping any foaming in the crankcase when running hard.
Ronnie

Quote:
Only needed on the passenger side if you're using a catch can. I run breathers so I have them on both sides.
This is also very good to know. I've noticed in other cars that a breather in place of the oil feed cap really smooths the engine out in the upper rpm
Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You can't really feel anything

All it does is eliminate the turbulence in the oil pan. You will get no more power or feel anything. On these new engines it is probably not needed unless you drive hard and long or do a lot of high RPM driving.

I always used a breather cap on all of my cars and My Mustang is no different.
Ronnie
Old 12-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentman43 View Post
Attachment 168385Attachment 168386Attachment 168387, if anyone is using the UPR catch can system , check the hose that goes to the valve on the intake , it will collapse from the oil and heat

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Its the vacuum that causes it to collapse, not necessarily the oil and heat. The lines need to be reinforced, you shouldn't even be able to crush the hose with your hand, let alone engine vacuum.

Quote:
Ronnie
The JLT is proven to be ineffective compared to the other kits that are more "remote mounted," because it doesn't really allow the oil time to fall out of suspension and is a small can. Ease of install is really its only perk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymax View Post
If you want some strength and durability, you could pick up some fuel injection hose in the same size.
I've no first hand experience with that hose, but typically its recommended to use a reinforced silicone hose that is meant for PCV gases, other wise the oil vapors will break the hose down over time and turn it to goop.

Quote:
Wait, seriously? That's all the oil you had in there after 3800 miles? That's a very small amount. Is this even something people need to be worried so much about. People are talking about valve getting clogged with gunk and sludge and longevity. Seeing this makes me second guess all that.
No oil is getting through because his hose is completely collapsing, it may as well be completely blocked off; ergo, no oil is getting through.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Be aware that in a lot of cases, that design of UPR catch can still lets quite a bit of oil get through to the intake. Check your hose that attaches to your intake and see if the inside of the hose is wet with oil. They will catch oil though.

I used to run that style on my 14GT and my fiancee still runs it on her 07 GT and my hose was always soaked with oil and hers is too. I can't get her to spend the money to get something else. I switched to a Bob's can and now only get a slight film inside the hose and quick connect.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Be aware that in a lot of cases, that design of UPR catch can still lets quite a bit of oil get through to the intake. Check your hose that attaches to your intake and see if the inside of the hose is wet with oil. They will catch oil though.

I used to run that style on my 14GT and my fiancee still runs it on her 07 GT and my hose was always soaked with oil and hers is too. I can't get her to spend the money to get something else. I switched to a Bob's can and now only get a slight film inside the hose and quick connect.
what do you mean by UPR design? Upper?
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
what do you mean by UPR design? Upper?
Yes I mean the upper design. Go to UPR's website and look at the design of their newer can for the 2015 Mustang GT. Totally different than their original billet cans. I have not had a chance to personally look or use their newer design so I don't know how well it works but it looks like it will be more effective. UPR says that the newer design can be used on the older cars as well.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #34

I run the Bob kit on my 2011 GT and always have oil in it. This was 1500 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419687004122.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	952.4 KB
ID:	172510  
blkcalispecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have absolutely no problem with the JLT catch can

It does catch oil, I have to empty it at about 1,000 or so miles and there is always oil in it. It is easy to take off and empty. It is well made.
No problems here.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT