Rear ended: Need your help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Rear ended: Need your help!

Hey guys and gals. I was rear ended Wednesday morning driving to work. The lady hit me traveling approximately 40mph and didn't even touch her brakes. She demolished the back of my car and pushed me into the car in front of me. The rear quarter panels are warped and the trunk is crumpled. The rear bumper is wasted along with my tail lights and my front bumper is misaligned due to the impact to the front of the car. The drivers side exhaust is also bent shut and crumpled.

I just received the estimate for repair today and the total is $11,670.44.

My main concerns are:

Is there anything special I should have the appraiser look into?

My Recaro seat was all the way in the recline position when she slammed into me and I was wondering whether or not there would be any teeth inside the mechanism that would be broken?

Also, the car was in first gear and when she hit me it stalled. Would there be any chance of the gears being stripped inside the transmission?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414193480.571866.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	973.8 KB
ID:	168432Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414193500.417279.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	638.3 KB
ID:	168433Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414193529.826893.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	830.7 KB
ID:	168434Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414193552.155863.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	782.4 KB
ID:	168436Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414193570.095485.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	790.2 KB
ID:	168437
Brockman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

That'll buff right out....glad to see that you lived to tell that tale. Whatever you do, get them to total that thing. I wouldn't want it back. Also, nice plate, how often do you get pulled over?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Glad you are ok. Those pictures make me sad. The plate makes me happy again.
Stangholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

They won't total the car. The damages are less than the "magical" 50%-75% of resale value they use to declare it a total loss.

I've never been pulled over because of the plate. Just a couple waves from officers as they drive by me or an occasional person taking a picture of it in the parking lot of wherever it's parked.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockman66 View Post
They won't total the car. The damages are less than the "magical" 50%-75% of resale value they use to declare it a total loss.

I've never been pulled over because of the plate. Just a couple waves from officers as they drive by me or an occasional person taking a picture of it in the parking lot of wherever it's parked.

That's not always true. Had a pal with a new GT500. Someone kicked his door in. Ford repainted it and he didn't like the job they did. He demanded the entire car to be repainted. They declined, he lawyered up and got the car totaled. But, that's an extreme case, what you're saying 9/10 times is usually true. That's cool with the plate. Wouldn't fly around my area, american muscle or not lol.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Over a dented door, yes it was totaled, I repeat, it was totaled lol. Couldn't believe it myself. Believed it though when he went out and bought another brand new GT500 lol.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I've already talked to my insurance agent and he declined even though my insurance company has nothing to lose and they are fighting for me. It's not a big deal. All replacement parts are going to be OEM and I'll be filing a diminished value claim with the at fault parties insurance.

You'd be surprised, LEOs have senses of humor, too. They're normal people just like everyone else.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I know, I was one in Norfolk, VA. And my father is retired and my brother is a customs agent lol. A vanity plate like that would just piss LEO's off in western MA where I currently reside. But anyways, hey that's good man. I just know me personally, wouldn't want that car back with that kind of an impact. Air bag deploy? An also like you said the residual drop in value. But if you can take care of that I guess it's cool. My gf was rear ended at about 40-50mph and her car doesn't drive right at all. 2010 Honda Accord.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Airbags probably should have deployed. They didn't though. Her's did.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Jeez man, glad you're ok.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I just had died looking at the pics. Glad you're okay man.

Nice license plate though.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Call a Lawyer ASAP, specially if you're injured. I deal with this stuff all day. Insurance people are the worst. Specially if you are not dealing with the major ones. If you are injured then the longer you go without treatment the harder it become to get compensated. If you are injured you'd actually have a good case and more then likely come out with a decent pay day. You will be much better off with a lawyer then your insurance company representing you.

any addition money you put into it you are going to have to have receipts for it all. And any mechanical problems are usually hard to prove and get the insurance company to pay for.

If you live in a state that does diminishing value then you need to make a claim for that as well.
115tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I live in Pennsylvania and have limited tort coverage therefor my right to sue for bodily injury has been declined unless the injury is classified as "serious" which is usually anything other than soft tissue damage. All I had was some whiplash and a sprained ankle. There's no need for a lawyer at this point in time as USAA has been fighting my case with nationwide extremely well. The lady has already admitted fault as far as I know and everything going smoothly. I might have to lawyer up if Nationwide tried to give me the runaround on the diminished value claim. The Nationwide representative already claimed that, "you have to g through your insurance for that." My agent sent me their policy on diminished value claims and I have to file them with the "at fault parties insurance after all repairs have been finished and an appraisal has been completed." We'll have to see what happens.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Also, make sure she put it in writing she's admitting fault. You don't wanna get whacked with a counter claim. Ask me how I know...nobody is ever advised to admit fault in an accident. Insurance companies tell their clients to make crap up. Just be sure...

Old 10-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

In MA, there's a statute in place where the person who does the rear ending, is automatically at fault, no matter what. I don't know the laws there, is there anything regarding that?

Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

She admitted fault to the police officer making the police report. She was a nice lady and I don't wish her any ill will. Accidents happen, that's what insurance is for. I just want to make sure that I don't get the shaft from her insurance company.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
She admitted fault to the police officer making the police report. She was a nice lady and I don't wish her any ill will. Accidents happen, that's what insurance is for. I just want to make sure that I don't get the shaft from her insurance company.

Nobody is disputing the character of the person who hit you. I also thought the same thing of the old man that rear ended me. Then he filed a counter claim and my car was in a body shop for over 2 months because of the litigation. As long as you have the police report, you'll be good with "at fault" business. I can almost guarantee you're going to have a fight on your hands though with getting what you want from them.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I am going to let the Nationwide claims lady know that all further communication will be written or through email just incase I have to lawyer up.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Just like 115tang said, I would. More often than not, people are selfish and grimy. Protect yourself and your asset.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I've already talked to my insurance agent and he declined even though my insurance company has nothing to lose and they are fighting for me. It's not a big deal. All replacement parts are going to be OEM and I'll be filing a diminished value claim with the at fault parties insurance.

You'd be surprised, LEOs have senses of humor, too. They're normal people just like everyone else.
Is there any rear suspension damage? cant tell from the picture, seems all trunk.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Not that I'm aware of. I haven't received the itemized estimate yet.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. I haven't received the itemized estimate yet.
lets hope it just the trunk, you dont want any bent frame mounts. Btw how bad is the front impact? Find a reputable body shop instead of ford dealerships, they are incompetent.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
where did they take it to get that estimate? i would lobby to get a 2nd opinion via shop your insurance works with.
deadpandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Damn this sucks. Lawyer up. Even though u can't sue for bodily injuries, the bottomfeeder might get u total on ur car. U don't even have rights to see a chiro??? Damn I'm glad I don't live in ur state.

On the bright side, ur fellow tenants are safe from ur parking terror lol.

Lawyers can do a lot of things u might not be able to or even know to that u can do.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You'll be fine. I doubt there's frame damage. Seems mostly nonframe damage but doesn't seem like it was a 40mph hit. Or it was hit by a smart car.

Should be able to straighten out all the panels and replace a few parts with little to no bondo. It'll probably be a week and a half or two job so enjoy your Kia rental for the time being. Dohhh!!!

Neighborhood parking terror is back lol.

Was the car drivable?

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Damn this sucks. Lawyer up. Even though u can't sue for bodily injuries, the bottomfeeder might get u total on ur car. U don't even have rights to see a chiro??? Damn I'm glad I don't live in ur state.

On the bright side, ur fellow tenants are safe from ur parking terror lol.

Lawyers can do a lot of things u might not be able to or even know to that u can do.

This

Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

There is no need for a lawyer at this point. My insurance company is paying for repairs and will be reimbursed by the at fault party's insurance. The car was not drivable and had to be towed because of the bumper dragging and the exhaust being bent shut.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Honestly this exact same thing happened to me in the exact same way and the exact same speed and my car was totally screwed up from the day I got it back from the dealer after repairs, nothing lined up correctly following the repair and I had to sell the car which was ultimately at a loss to me financially.

I would talk to a lawyer because that car will not be repaired back to OEM spec correctly.

Not to mention the degraded title.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #29
rsb
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I would like to add a little to this conversation.

I went through this exact process about two months ago on my 2014 GT. Total damages were around $15,000. It's not enough to total it, in fact, the reason it was so high is that a lot of the parts were really expensive. Like $1,000 per tail light... Add that up plus labor, painting supplies... It can get pricey quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
Honestly this exact same thing happened to me in the exact same way and the exact same speed and my car was totally screwed up from the day I got it back from the dealer after repairs, nothing lined up correctly following the repair and I had to sell the car which was ultimately at a loss to me financially.

I would talk to a lawyer because that car will not be repaired back to OEM spec correctly.

Not to mention the degraded title.
Nothing on the title changes. Cars that are totaled and rebuilt are given an R title.

I guess we also have to assume no one is capable of body work and alignment either so just throw the car in the trash compacter...? Sounds like you had a bad experience but your insurance co. most likely covers the quality of repairs.

OP.. Your damage doesn't look terrible, but it is expensive. I doubt you'll run into any issues. Here's a few photos from my repairs:

Can't tell the difference.
Exterior: SVE Drifts 19x9.5/ Roush Side Splitters
rsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Holy **** balls, you got rear ended pretty good. Was there any rear suspension damage?
Old 11-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
Holy **** balls, you got rear ended pretty good. Was there any rear suspension damage?

Not that I'm aware of. All body and driver's side exhaust.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. All body and driver's side exhaust.
not u lol, btw hav u gotten ur car bck yet ?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Won't have the car back until the 14th of November. Officially, the estimate was $12,000 to fix the car.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #34
rsb
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
If you're asking me, no.

Quote:
Won't have the car back until the 14th of November. Officially, the estimate was $12,000 to fix the car.
Hang in there bro. Its tough.
Exterior: SVE Drifts 19x9.5/ Roush Side Splitters
rsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a collision tech and have been repairing cars for a long time. It's honestly not that bad. Lift your carpet up and check and see how bad your floor is.. Go underneath and check your frame rails. That's not that bad a hit. Definitely hit them for diminished value. Cause your car fax is gonna show its been hit and you'll lose value on your car. Unless you go sell it as soon as you pick it up from the bodyshop. If it was mine is fix it and keep riding it's honestly not that bad

DanGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT