Let's talk clutch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Let's talk clutch

What clutch are you running? Twin disc on n/a cars over kill? Give me some recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

McLeod, one of yjr best around rst very light pedal

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I am going to go with the Spec 3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel, Exedy hydraulic TOB. I want springs on the clutch for some smoothness. It is good for 870TQ
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:36 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Is that single or twin?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It is a high torque single. I think twins and especially an un-sprung clutch is a lot for a NA car that does not spend a significant amount of time at the strip. The engagement is so different and in traffic, it definitely takes and adjustment period on the drivers part. In traffic, it helps to be able to slip the clutch a bit and if it is an un-sprung twin disc, it is just more work than worth on the street. That being said, on the track, they are absolutely the way to go. My goal is to get a streetable clutch that can still hold the power and last. I am still on the fence to go with an aluminum or steel Flywheel. I am leaning steel.

http://www.specclutches.com/?gclid=C...FQyMaQodt3gAIQ
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Old 10-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
McLeod is the way to go
Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
McLeod is the way to go
Do you have a specific recommendation for a n/a car? My clutch is starting to slip. Rxt?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Go rst for the street, smoother and still handle 800 hp,also while you down there think about also changing out the pilot bearing for $35.00

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Does the rst drive well in traffic?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Does the rst drive well in traffic?

McLeod's just have a totally different feel to them. They grab waaay quicker, so smooth takeoffs are different and are not nearly smooth. The Clutch feel when depressing the clutch is awesome, but IMHO it is just a little harsh in traffic. Feels awesome dumping the clutch though. If you go with an aluminum FW and solid twin disc, that is too much clutch if you drive it on the street. If you race a lot, McLeod is the way to go, for street, there are more "friendly" choices out there that still give you a significant improvement over the OEM junk clutch. Unless you race a lot, I just cant see paying the added cost of a McLeod clutch that is overkill for your setup as a DD car.
(the Exedy stage 3 or 4 as well as the Spec 3+ with a Steel Fly Wheels are good choices for daily driving and they will grip and put all the power you want to the ground and the bonus is that they are no where near as harsh at engaging as the RST or RXT) You will save hundreds of dollars as well
Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Thanks for the info

Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get the 2010+ GT500 clutch if you want something OEM. It's bascially the Ford version of the McCleod. 26 spline, twin disc etc... If not I'd say just go for broke and get the RXT. Its what the 07-09 GT500 guys use if they dont' go with the 2010+ Ford setup.

Clutch dynamics also makes a real good twin disc setup for about $500 if you are looking to spend less. I would NOT go with a single disc anything if you are looking at over 500ft lbs. Ceramic puck/weighted fingers etc... no.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
RST's are a bit easier to slip than the RXT. Either are very easy to drive around town and the pedal feel is very close to stock if not lighter than stock.

RST would be the way to go with a billet steel flywheel.

Give us a shout Mikey if you have questions.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I am going to go with the Spec 3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel, Exedy hydraulic TOB. I want springs on the clutch for some smoothness. It is good for 870TQ

Never in my life will I own anything Spec makes again, I had their stage 3+ clutch for my last car, and I don't think the specs were right at all. With the clutch pushed all the way to the floor, if I went to put it into 1st, the car would rock forward slightly, leading me to believe the pressure plate was never fully disengaging the clutch.

I was assured this was normal and wouldn't be an issue... Fast forward about 2 months though and I no longer have a 4th gear synchro because it was getting chewed up during WOT apparently (if I could even get it into gear) and would often times kick out during Daily driving. I had two other friends with this exact same issue (losing 4th gear), and one is starting to lose 5th now as well, when running spec stage 3+ clutches for just a short period of time.

One of those friends I mentioned did a little research and found out there were about 10-12 other people on his forum (different platform mind you) that had recently installed spec clutches and were having the same problems; not fully disengaging, missing shifts, grinding... Leads me to believe they're trying to sell 1 size fits all clutches, but when I spend $1100 on a clutch and flywheel I expect the **** to work.

I'll give it that the daily driving (as far as pedal feel and modulation are concerned) was good, but I stand by what I said; Never in my life will I own another Spec clutch.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have also had issues with Spec clutches and would recommend something else.

My issue was that the hub springs failed and were ripped out and damaged pretty much everything.

Spec stg 3+ with around 2,000 miles on it, rated for 967 torque...

Not my picture but mine failed the exact same way.

Expect the possibility of this happening with a Spec. I personally know several LSx powered cars, a few DSMs and some other imports that have all experienced this same type of failure with a Spec that is rated for much higher power levels than what these cars produce.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Spec 3... why in the blue hell would anyone want a clutch like that? Heavy pedal, basically an on/off switch type clutch and only good for 1/4 driving really. Twin disc for anything needing a 26 spline input shaft or go auto. 500ft lbs and down you are just fine with a good single disc organic.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Spec 3... why in the blue hell would anyone want a clutch like that? Heavy pedal, basically an on/off switch type clutch and only good for 1/4 driving really. Twin disc for anything needing a 26 spline input shaft or go auto. 500ft lbs and down you are just fine with a good single disc organic.
Despite the fact i hated my spec from the second in the car i will have to disagree with this, at least in my case, mine was rather street friendly. A little harder to slip than factory, but its a full faced clutch, so it was still pretty street friendly. Not sure why i'm bothering to defend a clutch i specifically suggested not getting, but i guess i'll give credit where it is due.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My Spec 3+ isn't really all that bad as far as drive ability. It's just somewhat inconsistent with engagement points.

Then again, the stock clutch in my 2014 is worse.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

LOL....Spec 3+ is coming off my list
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

This thread is making me very glad I have decided to not deal with a bang bang transmisison again.

I just don't get all the love on the single disc ceramic clutches, I really don't, but to each their own. Even Ford learned their lesson with the 07-09 GT500s that came with the ceramic puck clutches. After 3 or 4 TSBs they finally revised the clutch for 2010 to a dual disc organic and the correct Ford fix for the 07-09s are to install the 2010+ clutch which is basically a McCleod RST but Ford branded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT