Rust protection!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Rust protection!?

I'm going to run my 2014 in the Toronto winter I don't do many miles and will probably only drive it to work if it's dry out. I will hose it down every week or so with the jet wash and my local has an underfloor wash system (that I have not used, I don't even know if I should) has anyone paid for a rust protection spray either from a company or done by yourself or leave it as is and just keep it clean often.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
The main areas of rust on our cars are the axle tubes, control arm brackets and drive shaft. A little WD40 corrosion inhibitor once a year is all you need.
califsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Do you reckon i could get under the car as is to spray or should i invest in those plastic ramps to get some clearance. i don't have much space to store stuff.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Just replace everything with aluminum parts. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Being from Qu├ębec and I can tell you that with all the salt that they dumped in the streets you should have it shoot with anticorrosion products. It usually cost approx 80$ but is the best investment to keep you stang as long as possible. I have a ford Escape for winter and it s a 2002 you should see the body, been treating this with anti corrosion since day one and its worth it, my brother bought the same Model a year later and it s all rusted !! Wd40 won't help you at all ! I dont use my stang and I have her treated with anticorrosion anyway ! I figure 80$ is well spent !

Airaid Bama tune
Dcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Living in western NY I know that winters are horrible. I've used this stuff called Fluid Film. The stuff is simply amazing, it protects against rust and can even remove scaley rust from brake lines and other metals. My Dad sprayed the underside of his Suburban he got in NC. Three NY wintrers later it still looks like it did when he bought it in NC. Supposedly it was used exclusively in the Army, but recently became available to the public. That's why you don't see rusted Army vehicles.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have been looking at this Krown rust protection service but i'm dubious about them drilling holes in the car especially after reading one review one guy getting the car scratched. Any thoughts?

I'm leaning more towards just getting a few can of rust inhibitor like ACF-50 or Rust Check Red and Green cans and just spraying the axle tubes, control arm brackets, drive shaft wheel wells/suspension etc.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMachine View Post
I have been looking at this Krown rust protection service but i'm dubious about them drilling holes in the car especially after reading one review one guy getting the car scratched. Any thoughts?

I'm leaning more towards just getting a few can of rust inhibitor like ACF-50 or Rust Check Red and Green cans and just spraying the axle tubes, control arm brackets, drive shaft wheel wells/suspension etc.
I'd say the Fluid Film is the way to go! You can do it yourself, just Google it.
NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

I got my 2014 GT oil sprayed in August even though im putting it away for the winter. Drilling few holes is worth it to know my quarter panels, rockers and door bottoms are protected.
jord is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT