1 inch springs for 2014 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
1 inch springs for 2014 GT

Looking for 1 inch drop springs for 2014 gt. What springs do you recommend? An what else would I need with going with such a small drop? Fixing to start ordering stuff for the stang got to get the list going..
aftermath81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
FRPP "p" springs are a 1" drop, progressive wind. Steeda Sports claim 1" front, 1.25" rear, linear rate. Hurst Stage 1 springs advertise 1" drop, progressive wind. Curious to know about those.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'd say go with FRPP. I've seen too many people say others that drop more or less than what they claim. (including the kit I installed - I wish I had gone with FRPP's after the fact) I'm guessing its a quality control issue.

OEM part standards are actually pretty high, even though they're not always the highest "performance" part, they're usually the most reliable and consistent parts. Some people confuse quality vs. performance. I'd rather a little higher quality & lower performance, than all out performance at a cost of higher failure rate.

So you'll get"
- a true consistent 1" drop on all for corners
- the stealerships are less likely to complain about warranty issues with Ford parts.

If money is no issue, you should get camber plates, new shocks & struts. If it is, you could get by with just the springs.

Either way you should probably get these too: Ford Racing Mustang Jounce Bumper Kit M-5570-A (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
As you're a little more likely to bottom out and these will soften the hit a little.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
And you can't beat AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories for Ford Racing Parts. Mike R. is fantastic. It's gonna be a while for me as I'm going with new Koni Sports this time. I'm tired of trying to do a budget lowering job. You always, always, spend more money in the long run. Not to mention you do the job multiple times.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
I'd say go with FRPP. I've seen too many people say others that drop more or less than what they claim. (including the kit I installed - I wish I had gone with FRPP's after the fact) I'm guessing its a quality control issue.

OEM part standards are actually pretty high, even though they're not always the highest "performance" part, they're usually the most reliable and consistent parts. Some people confuse quality vs. performance. I'd rather a little higher quality & lower performance, than all out performance at a cost of higher failure rate.

So you'll get"
- a true consistent 1" drop on all for corners
- the stealerships are less likely to complain about warranty issues with Ford parts.
Ford Racing parts are not "OEM". Ford and Ford Racing are two totally different companies. Do not confuse the two.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #6

Region: Oregon
1 inch springs for 2014 GT

Frpp springs are eibach
Red13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Ford Racing parts are not "OEM". Ford and Ford Racing are two totally different companies. Do not confuse the two.
They are tested to OEM standards though, I think only them and Steeda test to OEM requirements. But yes, as far as companies, and warranty, they are 2 different companies.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The same engineers work for both. The FRPP team is who comes up with the parts & things that go in the the Boss 302R, Boss 302S, which ends up going in to the street vehicles like the Boss 302/GT500. They are tested to the same durability standards when sold to the mass market. But you are correct in stating they are not all true "OEM" part, they are considered aftermarket on our cars. Though some of the FRPP parts are actually OEM parts from the GT500's or Boss 302's.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Im looking to drop my 14 GT 1 inch as well.
I put Eibach pro kit on my 06 GT with only camber bolts.
Still perfect factory spec alignment.
The stock struts & shocks held up fine for 80 k miles.
Not sure if I can get away with it again.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm leaning toward the ford racing springs. Thanks for the input guys.
aftermath81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I've got ford racing p springs on mine. Pic attached. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414539813.981796.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	510.6 KB
ID:	168704

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
CNFLCTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNFLCTD View Post
I've got ford racing p springs on mine. Pic attached. Attachment 168704

Nice! I'm leaning towards these, still not 100% decided.
What wheel size are you on?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
Nice! I'm leaning towards these, still not 100% decided.
What wheel size are you on?
Looks like 20's.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

19 inch RTR's

CNFLCTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNFLCTD View Post
19 inch RTR's

Nice, those are the same wheels as mine.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Each suspension part upgrade affects others, so its kind of worthwhile to go to a good shop who really knows their stuff, and to get them to do a complete suspension overhaul based on your needs . goals. (1/4 miles times, road course, autocross, redneck (redlight) racing, etc.)

Changing one part at a time, changes various facets/geometry and could negatively affect something else.

So basically, if you lower even only one inch, you might want to have your pinion angle checked... it will probably be within acceptable range. You SHOULD change your shocks & struts, and if you're doing that you might as well get some camber plates so you can dial in some camber for better turns (assuming you like to take turns fast or if you do some road course work), you'll probably need to get an adjustable panhard bar to correct the slight shift that will occur from lowering, etc.. etc..

In hindsight, I wish I had bought a whole suspension package like I was leaning towards in the beginning. At first, I was thinking about the 1" FRPP suspension package for convertibles. It was only like $1200, but it went out of stock, so I just said f- it and got the springs as I was anxious to drop it & get rid of the squat & go, and brake nose drive. But now piece meal I'll end up paying more in the long run. And now I need to worry more about all of the parts working together in harmony vs. a full kit that's "tuned" to work together.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath81 View Post
Looking for 1 inch drop springs for 2014 gt. What springs do you recommend? An what else would I need with going with such a small drop? Fixing to start ordering stuff for the stang got to get the list going..

I installed the Steeda springs and am very happy. Just remember you need to replace the upper mounts at the same time, the stock mounts are designed for one-time use. Mine are clunking like crazy, going to buy the Steeda mounts and as a bonus they are adjustable for camber.

http://www.steedablog.com/2012/08/th...-strut-mounts/

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jd431x1f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I installed the FRPP Handling pack which includes the P series springs. This resulted in an even 1" drop at all four corners that was noticeable as soon as it was back on the ground. Really happy with the way it turned out and only wish I had done it sooner. There are some pics of the install in my garage area if interested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT