Store mustang, use vapor barrier? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Store mustang, use vapor barrier?

I am going to store my 14 GT this winter and I have never stored a car before. The garage has an asphalt floor and it will be heated just above freezing. I am going to put a cover over the car but should I put a blue plastic tarp on the floor to prevent moisture from rising up towards the car?
johnny_h55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
idk but it's cheap enough. I doubt it'll do anything but cheap. I park mine on folded up cardboard under wheels for flat spotting which I know is pretty much a thing of the past but I do it cause it's free. My other free hint (in addition to the regular tricks) is when starting for the 1st time after storage I pull the fuel pump relay/fuse to let it crank for 2 ten second cycles to distribute oil. Once again IDK if it helps but free. I even went as far as marking the relay so I don't have to look it up each year.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I put Bounce brand fabric softener sheets in the engine (several sheets) sine last winter (stored in a garage just above freezing with a car cover) I noticed mice had stored seeds in the engine bay area. Clearly I have a mouse problem. I use Bounce cause someone told me rodents don't like them (apparently the mice experts have determined that it has to be Bounce not non-name brand). For what this is worth.
RCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
for mice I use peppermint/spearmint oil on cotton balls renew 1x month. The sell something called MouseMagic? at the farm store but homemade is cheaper. Tape cowl intake and exhaust with painters tape. If you use dryer sheets make sure to renew them 1x month. I have lots of mice when they used to die in my Tacoma it was on the cabin air filter which sounds nasty but better than my Loves CRV when I never found where it died so for 6 months we had to drive with ewindows down. Since we started using mint no problems.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #5

Region: Florida
Dryer sheets are good, but my trick works better. Here's how it works, go out to Walmart and buy a pellet gun. Then go to Home Depot and get about 30 feet of 3/4 inch chain. Then all you have to do is chain one of your kids to the wall in the garage, give him the pellet gun and call it a hunting expedition and tell him he can eat anything he kills. Problem solved, also, no tuition for private school all winter equals super charger in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ElCheapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT