Difference from shelby and 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Difference from shelby and 5.0

What is it that the shelby has and the 5.0 doesnt that gives it the ability to have aftermarket Cams and have such a beautiful lope sound? For example the best sound you could get out of a 5.0 are the Comp Cams Nsr Cams. But there is no lope there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What the Shelby DOESNT have that the 5.0 does is VVT. The 5.0 can lope hard as hell bone stock, or idle like stock with comp cams, because the VVT gives us the ability to tune it to do so. The Shelby on the other hand is a fixed cam car, so if you want overlap on the top end, you gotta deal with overlap on the low end.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Google will direct you to much more information.... multipage articles about each engine if you really want to know.

Ford Trinity engine = 5.8L + 15 lbs of boost = 662hp
Ford Coyote engine = 5.0L = 420hp

the old 5.4L GT500 engine was codenamed Condor if you feel like looking it up

One of the key differences is the 5.8L uses a proprietary iron "spray-on cylinder liner", instead of sleeves, saving 7-8 lbs.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
What the Shelby DOESNT have that the 5.0 does is VVT. The 5.0 can lope hard as hell bone stock, or idle like stock with comp cams, because the VVT gives us the ability to tune it to do so. The Shelby on the other hand is a fixed cam car, so if you want overlap on the top end, you gotta deal with overlap on the low end.
Can the coyote have a lope tune with cats on?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Can the coyote have a lope tune with cats on?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
What tuner?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It can, but its not recommended because it will destroy them, if not significantly reduce their life.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
It can, but its not recommended because it will destroy them, if not significantly reduce their life.
Oh, ok.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If you have a 2013+ MT82 5.0 the Ford Racing TrackCal tune gives me awesome lope with no damaging effects to CATS or anything else. But due to the Lope, it can only be done on manual trans. Keeps my warranty as well when I had my dealer install it. I can turn it on or off starting up by holding Cruze off button. It adds 60pbs of TQ down at 1500rpm and adds 16hrp up top. But its not the hpr gain I love, the timing is very advanced because you need to use 91+ octane and it finally pulls hard now even down low.

The Ford Racing Tune does not dump gas into the CATs, as its 50 state emissions legal even.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
If you have a 2013+ MT82 5.0 the Ford Racing TrackCal tune gives me awesome lope with no damaging effects to CATS or anything else. But due to the Lope, it can only be done on manual trans. Keeps my warranty as well when I had my dealer install it. I can turn it on or off starting up by holding Cruze off button. It adds 60pbs of TQ down at 1500rpm and adds 16hrp up top. But its not the hpr gain I love, the timing is very advanced because you need to use 91+ octane and it finally pulls hard now even down low.

The Ford Racing Tune does not dump gas into the CATs, as its 50 state emissions legal even.

+1 I have the track key same deal kind of love it no issues
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nope, I've got an auto... dangit.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, ok.

You still have cats? What are you stock?🙇🙈😂
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
You still have cats? What are you stock?🙇🙈😂
Don't feel like risking a huge fine. Plus we have emissions testing.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't feel like risking a huge fine. Plus we have emissions testing.
I had the MorePowerTuning Cam tune in my V6 auto. I had to have them take the Stage 2 down to a Stage 1/2 as on Stage 2 I had to put the trans in "N" to keep form stallin' at a light. But it was kewl and I think a stage 1 will be good on a GT. They use a "CAT Safety" system where if your CATS get too hot, or your LOPE for x mins too long, the cut the LOPE Off. I put in the trans tune that was next to the max, and it had the 3.7 V6 Chirping tires in second gear on 0-60 runs.

They support SCT tuners
MorePowerTuning.com SCT F150 Ecoboost Tuner | Ecoboost Performance | Ecoboost thermostat | F150 Tuner
Art
Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
What is it that the shelby has and the 5.0 doesnt that gives it the ability to have aftermarket Cams and have such a beautiful lope sound? For example the best sound you could get out of a 5.0 are the Comp Cams Nsr Cams. But there is no lope there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
You can have lope but there is stuff you have to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
I had the MorePowerTuning Cam tune in my V6 auto. I had to have them take the Stage 2 down to a Stage 1/2 as on Stage 2 I had to put the trans in "N" to keep form stallin' at a light. But it was kewl and I think a stage 1 will be good on a GT. They use a "CAT Safety" system where if your CATS get too hot, or your LOPE for x mins too long, the cut the LOPE Off. I put in the trans tune that was next to the max, and it had the 3.7 V6 Chirping tires in second gear on 0-60 runs.

They support SCT tuners
MorePowerTuning.com SCT F150 Ecoboost Tuner | Ecoboost Performance | Ecoboost thermostat | F150 Tuner
Art
MPT has revised the Ghost Cam tunes. I have the Stage 2, not even close to stalling. However, they won't give you stage 3 if you have an auto because you can potentially stall it when reversing slowly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

few things:

There are tunes out there with lopey idle for autos too, but lopey idles drinks gas so your mpg will go down!

If you want more noise, just get a louder exhaust system + aggressive tune. its not quite the same type of sound, but it will sound just as good.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
few things:

There are tunes out there with lopey idle for autos too, but lopey idles drinks gas so your mpg will go down!

If you want more noise, just get a louder exhaust system + aggressive tune. its not quite the same type of sound, but it will sound just as good.
If I cared about gas mileage. I wouldn't be in a Mustang.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
This lol. You bought the wrong car if you're very concerned with MPG.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't mind low gas mileage b/c I'm getting higher performance or b/c I've got a heavy foot. I know my MPG's stays down at 13+- b/c I accelerate so hard ALL THE TIME!

But its kind of silly to lose another 1-2mpg just for a specific sound to your exhaust, lopey idle. When you don't really incur any MPG penalties for anything else... loud exhaust, tunes, etc.. In fact, some you actually increase your MPG.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Google will direct you to much more information.... multipage articles about each engine if you really want to know.

Ford Trinity engine = 5.8L + 15 lbs of boost = 662hp
Ford Coyote engine = 5.0L = 420hp

the old 5.4L GT500 engine was codenamed Condor if you feel like looking it up

One of the key differences is the 5.8L uses a proprietary iron "spray-on cylinder liner", instead of sleeves, saving 7-8 lbs.
The 5.4L also has the " spray on cylinder liner ", the 5.8 is a bored out 5.4.
These 2 articles have some good info on the 2013 GT500, if you're interested.
2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5.8L V8 - Power Of Three - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
2013 Shelby GT500 Chassis Development - Total Package - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't mind low gas mileage b/c I'm getting higher performance or b/c I've got a heavy foot. I know my MPG's stays down at 13+- b/c I accelerate so hard ALL THE TIME!

But its kind of silly to lose another 1-2mpg just for a specific sound to your exhaust, lopey idle. When you don't really incur any MPG penalties for anything else... loud exhaust, tunes, etc.. In fact, some you actually increase your MPG.
Just an FYI, the Ford Racing TrackCal tune increased gas mileage for me, loads of timing advance and its not dumping gas on LopeIdle. Strange thing was I lost some mileage when it got cold out, when the dense air should give better. I think it might be a gas reformulation issue but its in hibernation now and only will come out in any totally dry day with no salt or moisture on the ground. It could be that in the late fall when I do get a chance to get the car out only once in a while instead of drive it almost every days; I realy romp with it
Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just an FYI, the Ford Racing TrackCal tune increased gas mileage for me, loads of timing advance and its not dumping gas on LopeIdle. Strange thing was I lost some mileage when it got cold out, when the dense air should give better. I think it might be a gas reformulation issue but its in hibernation now and only will come out in any totally dry day with no salt or moisture on the ground. It could be that in the late fall when I do get a chance to get the car out only once in a while instead of drive it almost every days; I realy romp with it
I wish they would come out with one for the auto.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have you tried it "stock" vs "tuned" vs "tuned lopey idle"

If you're missing the one in the middle that might be why you think you're not taking a MPG hit.

stock- to tuned... you get better MPG (maybe +2-3 mpg if your foot isn't heavier)

tune - to tuned with lopey idle... you lose some MPG ( - 1-2mpg)

stock- to tuned with lopey idle... + some for tune, - some for lopey... maybe a little better MPG.. net effect still +1 mpg+-

So maybe you just didn't notice the hit if you skipped just tuned (with no lopey) ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT