Breather - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Breather

Are there any negatives to running crankcase breathers over oil separators or are they all the same ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I've read the breathers tend to spew some oil on your engine and are a pain to clean. Never owned one though. Also not smog legal , if that matters.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Never used a breather and I am not an expert mechanic and I do not claim to be one however I just used common sense I did install a catch can (looking at various kinds) and found one and installed it, it was also a recommendation from Ford Racing if you had the Track Cal / Track Key installed to use a separator / catch can. This particular one I got from Ebay and it is very effective and does the job. Plus it is easy to drain when needed no wrench or tools needed to drain. it also comes in many anodized colors and under $100.00 has two chambers inside and an entry hose with nipple routing smaller hose to bottom any bypass oil collected does not make it out back into intake.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Catch cans still let oil into the intake, so they do not do there job,

Breathers are perfectly fine, and the best route to take

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You'll still get a little oil into the intake with a cheap kit (JLT...) But a nicer kit will do a better job, still not 100% though, i'll admit that. However, i dont like breathers for a DD because the crankcase, for the sake of engine seals, and seating the piston rings, wants a vacuum on it.

I ran breathers on my last built motor, and was having some smoking issues from blow by (looser piston rings since the car was boosted) during daily driving. Switched to a catch can set up and the smoking stopped.
They'll both work, you just have to decide which side effects you'd like to deal with.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have about 1500 miles on breathers and no oil on valve covers like some say happens possibly on boosted apps. No smoking. Breathers look better and cleaner IMO.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

^^ depends on how you drive. I've seen plenty of Na cars that are frequently raced with just disgusting filters and valve covers. One actually had the filter separate from the silicone coupler / lining. If however you just daily drive, then yeah, they likely wont get dirty.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Had my breathers on my stock motor and on my Built motor from day 1, never had oil on my valve covers.

They get dirty but never makes a mess. I clean mine every oil change so 3,000 miles.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone

Old 10-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I drive my car as hard as anyone with many trips to the track. I have breathers and have never seen oil on my valve covers.

Listen to the guys with experience not the ones that read it on the internet.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I agree , I feel that it might be quite a bit messier with forced induction or if I was running around at redline all day but this is just a daily driver for me and I'm looking to keep some oil out of the manifold for peace of mind more than anything .

Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith129 View Post
I agree , I feel that it might be quite a bit messier with forced induction or if I was running around at redline all day but this is just a daily driver for me and I'm looking to keep some oil out of the manifold for peace of mind more than anything .

Mine was ran hard every day with 7800 rpm shifts at 700+ hp for about a year. Never any oil,

And same on the stock motor ran at 547 and then at 611 never a mess.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's good to hear then, I'll be safe with some breathers on a stock motor . Any suggestions on brand or website? I found a package on this site called jpc that sells them for 60 bucks shipped .

Old 10-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have the ones from jpc also.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome , thanks a lot man

Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Blow by racing sells a kit on their website as well

Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

At the very least you could run your lines to a single Vented can to insure no mess. Some have had great luck, i have worked with and seem some that haven't... I was all in my last set up for just over $120 sourcing my own lines and fittings. Not "too much more" If you're already considering $60 for a pair of tiny filters... Just food for thought.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks for the info, I live in California which is the worst place for smog legal issues so that would be the only thing I might run into, I actually had a highway patrol break out a decibel reader on me this year so they're always looking for things to nail you with out here.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I will not dispute nor disagree with rapinator126's posts; his knowledge is valued on this site, and appretiated.

On my 2011 V6, I ran only one catch can, on the passenger side, and it did indeed capture oil between oil changes (changed my oil every 5 to 6k). While it may not have captured all the oil (I'd have no way to tell (??)), the oil it did capture was kept from getting into the intake.

I paid nothing for mine; I made my own from a left over water capture tube from an old air compressor, and a couple of barbed fittings to allow it to be connected "in series" with the existing stock plastic line.

The drivers side does not require a catch can; a total waste of money, unless you feel it dresses up the engine bay. On the drivers side, air is drawn INTO the crankcase, so the existing tube from the air filter box to the head works just fine. Or dress it up with a breather element. On the passenger side, this is where the crankcase fumes/oil mist is dumped into the intake, and this would be the side that the catch can or head greather element will be effective in keeping most of the oil mist from getting into the intake.

So, the high dollar billit or aluminum catch cans look nice; but can be done a lot cheaper if you are crafty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT