Thinking about powdercoating new wheels, poll inside - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

View Poll Results: Which color for GT-500 knockoff wheels?
Leave them alone and deal with the minor defects 1 50.00%
Finish them gunmetal like the GT-500 in the top banner 1 50.00%
Finish them gloss white with black inner barrels 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Maryland
Thinking about powdercoating new wheels, poll inside

Well I pulled the trigger on my third set of wheels, a set of AM knockoff 2010 GT-500 rims. These are the black rims with the machined finish and I got them really cheap due to some minor finish defects. I could run them as-is no problem but am thinking of refinishing them. Just looking for some opinions but here is my car:

Option 1-leave them alone. Again the finish defects are very minor as in a few small bubbles in the clear coat, nothing major like curb rash etc.

Option 2-paint or powdercoat them gunmetal like the car shown in the ME banner at the top of the page. This would be a very nice look and fairly easy to keep clean. Plus if I paint them I can do it myself and save a bunch of cash.

Option 3-Powdercoat them gloss white like the wheels shown below. Yeah I know they would be a ***** to keep clean but it would really stand out and make the car pop. If I went this route I would probably finish the inner barrel of the wheel black so cleanup would only involve the outer rim and spokes. Plus I would probably do something different with the center caps.

2014 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium with nav, RR and comfy packages, 3.73 limited slip axle and optional 19" machined aluminum wheels. Come hang out in the garage and check out my build so far!
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Oklahoma
I would say, depending on how much it bugs you, leave them alone.

As for the white, that just screams import to me, not my taste. I like clean and subtle. That's a little loud in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: New Mexico
One more vote for leave them as is.
califsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Region: Florida
I would get you stockers powder coated. The quality is much better and the look nicer.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Michigan
Thinking about powdercoating new wheels, poll inside

Maybe up close photo of defects? I would just leave them most likely. Another vote to no white.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT