5.0 as a first manual car? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.slow View Post
Thanks guys.. I will mainly use the car for normal driving not planning on taking it to the strip or racing. . Just love the power and sound of a v8.. also traffic is a big thing where I live.. I drive 12 milea from from to work and takea me 1 hour sometimes cuz of traffic. It gets bumper to bumper .. I imagine that would be a bad experience on a manual ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I wouldn't even use a Mustang for this let alone any manual car. Get yourself a cheap early 00s Honda Accord automatic or something as a beater.

I'd probably contemplate installing a set of rocket launchers in the front of my car if I lived in that sort of traffic btw... or ride a bicycle to get into work in 20-30 minutes vs an hour and get a workout in too.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
A C7 will eventually be my 1st manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Hey everybody! Look at me!
Give the kid a break, he's in highschool. Oh wait, how's he going to afford a vette? Then again, everyone says they're going to get all kinds of things in high school. I always said I wanted a Porsche.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
5.0 as a first manual car?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415108840.391798.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	169160

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Manuals are just more enjoyable IF you're a real car guy. It's a more connected experience. A true bond of man and machine.

If that auto actually IS faster I'd still want the manual... I'd take my chances on the Chinese mt82 before I buy an auto.
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Give the kid a break, he's in highschool. Oh wait, how's he going to afford a vette? Then again, everyone says they're going to get all kinds of things in high school. I always said I wanted a Porsche.
Actually, freshman in college. But basically the same. I know I won't be able to afford one for some time, just stating that it will. Easily the car I like the most.

Also, I've grown use to his comments, I just ignore them now.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Attachment 169160

Manuals are just more enjoyable IF you're a real car guy. It's a more connected experience. A true bond of man and machine.

If that auto actually IS faster I'd still want the manual... I'd take my chances on the Chinese mt82 before I buy an auto.
Like I said personal preference, Ford offers autos and manuals so nobody is forcing anyone to go one way or the other. But yes, the auto is faster in the 1/4 and as the power goes up the disparity is greater and greater. Once you get into the 10 second range we are talking about dropping half a second or more going from a stick to an auto. That is not the most important thing to everyone tho. Like I said, all personal preference.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I only had a couple hours practice before getting mine. It helps to have a basic understanding of how it works, and maybe some practice on another clutch vehicle like an ATV or dirtbike (yes I know, it's with your hands not your feet, but once you have the IDEA, you just need to practice the motions with your feet)
I stalled and accidentally burned out a few times on the way home from the dealership, but I was doing just fine after a week or two.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Like I said personal preference, Ford offers autos and manuals so nobody is forcing anyone to go one way or the other. But yes, the auto is faster in the 1/4 and as the power goes up the disparity is greater and greater. Once you get into the 10 second range we are talking about dropping half a second or more going from a stick to an auto. That is not the most important thing to everyone tho. Like I said, all personal preference.

You know I was talking directly to you right? My comment was directed to the OP..

Anyway, some research shows that the manual 5.0s are faster because they got shorter rear end gears (3.73). Obviously the autos are more consistent though because you just have to push the pedal down and hold on. With a manual driver error does come into play.

I'll keep digging, but I haven't found anything that says a stock auto beats a stock manual under perfect conditions.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
I only had a couple hours practice before getting mine. It helps to have a basic understanding of how it works, and maybe some practice on another clutch vehicle like an ATV or dirtbike (yes I know, it's with your hands not your feet, but once you have the IDEA, you just need to practice the motions with your feet)
I stalled and accidentally burned out a few times on the way home from the dealership, but I was doing just fine after a week or two.
Yeah I grew up riding atv's as dirt bike. I feel like it really helped me with driving stick, or at least understanding how and when to use it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steven2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Anyway, some research shows that the manual 5.0s are faster because they got shorter rear end gears (3.73).
So wrong.
Shorter rear end gear doesn't automatically equal faster. Aside from the fact that only some manual cars have 3.73s, the standard gear is 3.31 I believe.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
That's why it says "some" research, not "all"

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
So wrong.
Shorter rear end gear doesn't automatically equal faster. Aside from the fact that only some manual cars have 3.73s, the standard gear is 3.31 I believe.
Yep!

Also, manuals you need like one step up to be approx. equal.

ie: stock gears... auto with 3.15 is about the same speed as manual with 3.31

so manual with 3.73 is about the same speed as auto with 3.55

Or a better choice for autos is to get a torque converter, if you have stock 3.15's. (don't waste time changing gears)
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #47
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
OP, I took driver's ed in 1966 in a brand new '66 Galaxie with a 289 and three on the tree (that's a manual for those of you who have never seen such a thing). We had to know how to drive manuals in those days because probably 75% of the vehicles were so equipped. I am currently on my 8th, 9th & 10th Mustangs, all of which are autos. The first seven along with about ten other cars I have owned were manuals. My F250 is a manual. I have a CDL and have driven a lot of commercial and military trucks which most of you never will. My 18-year old granddaughter races winged sprint cars (like Tony Stewart's).

This having been said is just to point out that driving automatics have no relationship to being a real man (what ever that is), gay or female. Those statements came from a Mr. Macho who apparently isn't really sure of his own manhood.

Try this, go to Enterprise and rent the cheapest manual car on their lot with for a day. Give it he!!, drive it in traffic, in the sticks, up and down hills. When you bring it back, you'll know what you want to do. It'll have no effect on the size of your huevos. Best of luck.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #48
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
OP, I took driver's ed in 1966 in a brand new '66 Galaxie with a 289 and three on the tree (that's a manual for those of you who have never seen such a thing). We had to know how to drive manuals in those days because probably 75% of the vehicles were so equipped. I am currently on my 8th, 9th & 10th Mustangs, all of which are autos. The first seven along with about ten other cars I have owned were manuals. My F250 is a manual. I have a CDL and have driven a lot of commercial and military trucks which most of you never will. My 18-year old granddaughter races winged sprint cars (like Tony Stewart's).

This having been said is just to point out that driving automatics have no relationship to being a real man (what ever that is), gay or female. Those statements came from a Mr. Macho who apparently isn't really sure of his own manhood.

Try this, go to Enterprise and rent the cheapest manual car on their lot with for a day. Give it he!!, drive it in traffic, in the sticks, up and down hills. When you bring it back, you'll know what you want to do. It'll have no effect on the size of your huevos. Best of luck.

Well said.

And I feel the same way about someone calling something "girly" or whatever. I'd like to think my daughter could grow up in a world where being a girl isn't an insult but apparently we aren't quite there yet.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So wrong.

Either way. I'm still not seeing any comparisons on the issue.

The manual vs auto discussion reeks of bias and ignorance. Neither side seems to have a clue, it's all just speculation.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Ah the auto bashers... well, now we know who has actually been to a 1/4 mile track with fast cars and who hasn't... Or who has ever ridden in a higher powered automatic...

Again, it definitely is personal preference, but if you want to win in a straight line, you get an auto. If your auto isn't fun, its because its slow.
I do agree 100% that automatics are faster and can (in some cases be fun). But.... I had a "serious automatic" and it failed me. The first time it was stock so ok... The AODE was never known for reliability. Then the second time it left me stranded in New Jersey I freaked out. I have had noting but bad luck with autos ny whole life. I always maintain them to the fullest and buy the best synthetic fluids for them and they always fail me. First it was a reacall on my 04 powerstroke with the torque shift auto for a defective planetary bearing, 05 Ford focus blew the tranny at 110xxx because of a "bad bearing". And my mustang.... Well you know. If you plan to run single digit times at the strip then auto. If you want a fun street car that will take adavantage of they 7,800 rpm red line with the boss 302 manifold then it's the manual for the win. Personally I will only buy manual cars from now on, until my body says otherwise.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

I had some stuff multi quoted... but not worth my time. Very lulzy and flat out wrong info in this thread. At least it lets us know who the e-racers and info recyclers are.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #52

Region: Texas
My opinion manual is fun but you are naturally harder on the car. If you dont plan to race its fine to learn on the 5.0. If you plan to race automatics are more consistent and tend to win more often for that reason(manuals depend alot on car and driver not just car). But if you want ant fun get the manual.
KriegGT50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had some stuff multi quoted... but not worth my time. Very lulzy and flat out wrong info in this thread. At least it lets us know who the e-racers and info recyclers are.

If you already had it quoted all you had to do was hit send lol!

But uhh yeah, I think I have an idea of what post you quoted

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT