5.0 as a first manual car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
5.0 as a first manual car?

Is it a good idea to get a new 5.0 as a first manual car to learn? Ive decided to get a new gt. I was foing for a 4.6 but decided to just go for a 5.0 but idk if I should get a manual since im not familiar driving stick shift.. any advice

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1414985454920.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	169029  
4.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Well, the 5.0 has the craptastic MT82... it's hit or miss with that transmission. The coyote is much better with an auto.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yes and no... If you plan to try and teach yourself manual on a new cyote 2011 to 2015, you may pickup bad habbits naturally that wouldn't harm a pos civic or beater. If you have an experienced manual driver teach you and show you right from wrong you will have no issues. I actually learned to drive stick on a 99 7.3 f350 powerstroke, and perfected it on a 2011 5.0 and now my 94 is a manual and I and its second nature. The power of the 5.0 in my opinion helps a rookie because it's easier to ride the clutch on a hill briefly than smoke the clutch on a low power n/a inline 4. I'd say if you have a buddy, or family member willing to teach you thoroughly, then yes. If you want to watch YouTube and try and teach your self than no way. A clutch job on the new mustangs is expensive and very time consuming.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My coyote was my first manual car. 20k miles and clutch is still fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Coyote Fever5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A C7 will eventually be my 1st manual
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Fever5.0 View Post
My coyote was my first manual car. 20k miles and clutch is still fine.

I have done a few clutch jobs on civics, vw pasat, volvo s60and my mustang. I can tell you from seeing the damage that can be done to a clutch without you knowing, don't learn to drive stick or have bad habbits on a fresh clutch. Be experienced or let someone experienced drive it for 500 miles to break it in. A new clutch has to go through heat cycles, and mesh with the pressure plate and flywheel like new brake pads an rotors do. If you overheat the clutch or shock it, it will put micro fractures in it. And the 5.0 redlines at like 7,500 rpm stock so those micro fractures will eventually separate and cause the clutch to be tiny bet the point of faluire is usually outside the rivets on the actual clutch. I'm not trying to scare anyone, it's just it's amazing the damage I have seen done by people. And to be honest it makes me more considerate about my driving habits. For example I would have never known holding the clutch in at a red light is bad. Your supposed to keep it in neutral at a stop light because the throughout bearing wears out faster and can lockup and rip teeth off the pressures plate. This is not uncommon. Just go for it but find someone to teach you the right way.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I may have a bad habit but I'm not sitting in neutral at a red light and getting plowed in the rear because I couldn't move. I don't know how many times I've had to move the rig with the gooseneck and cattle in the back out of the way of something stupid that I'd have got nailed in sitting in neutral. I'll replace the clutch if that's what it takes not getting hit. I don't know maybe it's just me.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Is an auto 5.0. Really better than manual ?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I also wonder if an auto with paddle shifters will give you the same kick in your pants as a manual car? As in you're riding in gear 2, let the rpms raise to 2800-3000 and then you punch it.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.slow View Post
Is it a good idea to get a new 5.0 as a first manual car to learn? Ive decided to get a new gt. I was foing for a 4.6 but decided to just go for a 5.0 but idk if I should get a manual since im not familiar driving stick shift.. any advice

i learned to drive stick on my 5.0 and i takes a couple stalls and practice for you to get good at it. what i did was drive everywhere and every time possible and youll pick it up sooner or later, however traffic does suck when you have a stick. as for the hills since i dont see many in the flat city of san antonio i couldnt pitch in.
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarskringspier View Post
I may have a bad habit but I'm not sitting in neutral at a red light and getting plowed in the rear because I couldn't move. I don't know how many times I've had to move the rig with the gooseneck and cattle in the back out of the way of something stupid that I'd have got nailed in sitting in neutral. I'll replace the clutch if that's what it takes not getting hit. I don't know maybe it's just me.
I forgot how hard it is and how long it takes to put it in first. Takes me ages. Sometimes I miss first and stall it's horrible. I'm not talking about pulling up to a red light that's stale and could change any moment. I'm talking about just missing a green and sitting a a busy red for 2 minutes. It adds up. I'm just giving the kid some pointers. I'm not directing towards you so calm down.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

Everything about it is better.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I bought my 5.0 7 months ago. I bought it before I even knew how to drive it. Lol but I was taught, and within 3 days i basically knew most of how to do it, then 3 months later, needed faster, 3 months later, full bolt on cobra jet coyote and want more 😄😂. Do it man! Well worth it over a auto!'😈😈

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You will regret not gettin manual trans if you get a auto, trust me. Get it man. you will be fine, it's super easy to deal with after a few weeks, even in 530PM Traffic!

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I've had both Autos & Manuals. I learned to drive on manuals, and my first few cars were manuals. The biggest drawback is its hard to multitask. Drink, eat, text, make phone calls, etc... ALL THINGS YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T BE DOING WHILE DRIVING ANYWAY!!

Manuals are a little more fun. More connected experience. I sometimes miss my manual. Though when I put the car in S mode, it drives more like I would... ie: staying in lower gears longer so the car is ready for you to punch it & accelerate.

It really depends on what you use the car for. My last "fun" car was manual, but the problem was my wife couldn't drive it, so she didn't like me having an expensive toy. Solution, I got an automatic, now she loves taking the car out. And doesn't complain as much about having a garage queen toy car.

The only thing I don't like is the car is slower than the manuals. Maybe in another generation or 2, they'll implement dual clutches like many higher end sports cars. Then there's no penalty for auto. In fact, they're actually faster than the faster professional drivers.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
You will regret not gettin manual trans if you get a auto, trust me. Get it man. you will be fine, it's super easy to deal with after a few weeks, even in 530PM Traffic!

If you want to win straight line races, you will regret the manual. Stock for stock its close. Modding starts, the auto will kick the manual's *** every time. If you are road racing, this is the only time the manual really shines.

Again, all personal preference. If you really do prefer manual driving for whatever reason then get a manual. However, they become a liability at the 1/4 mile so if you are worried about your timeslip at all, get the auto.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
I forgot how hard it is and how long it takes to put it in first. Takes me ages. Sometimes I miss first and stall it's horrible. I'm not talking about pulling up to a red light that's stale and could change any moment. I'm talking about just missing a green and sitting a a busy red for 2 minutes. It adds up. I'm just giving the kid some pointers. I'm not directing towards you so calm down.
If you read that as an attack then sorry. I can't see any animosity but if you did surely wasn't intentional. Also, having something bearing down on me at a red light had made me miss a shift. I've been T-Boned once by a big rig luckily it only killed 2 calves and not me. I don't think its a bad habit to sit in gear at a light. I'd rather pop the clutch and go not add something else to the mix.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
I've had both Autos & Manuals. I learned to drive on manuals, and my first few cars were manuals. The biggest drawback is its hard to multitask. Drink, eat, text, make phone calls, etc... ALL THINGS YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T BE DOING WHILE DRIVING ANYWAY!!

Manuals are a little more fun. More connected experience. I sometimes miss my manual. Though when I put the car in S mode, it drives more like I would... ie: staying in lower gears longer so the car is ready for you to punch it & accelerate.

It really depends on what you use the car for. My last "fun" car was manual, but the problem was my wife couldn't drive it, so she didn't like me having an expensive toy. Solution, I got an automatic, now she loves taking the car out. And doesn't complain as much about having a garage queen toy car.

The only thing I don't like is the car is slower than the manuals. Maybe in another generation or 2, they'll implement dual clutches like many higher end sports cars. Then there's no penalty for auto. In fact, they're actually faster than the faster professional drivers.
Get yours tuned. The autos ARE faster currently. Just because the stock tune makes them granny shift doesn't mean they are bad. Just means you need a good tuner.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I've owned and driven many manual cars, and no exaggeration, my 2011 is the easiest to drive by far, and I'm including my wife's 2008 civic si in this. so I'd say, you'll be fine

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 11-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Anything with a hydraulic clutch will be relatively easy to learn on IMO. And the Coyote has the benefit of not exactly being a torque monster down low.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe if you put a rainbow sticker on the back of it!

My son's first manual transmission is this car. Driving it off the lot was pretty funny, but I spent two hours with him driving stop and go in a neighborhood and he got it down. You will get the hang of it in no time. Once you get a manual transmission you will see what it means to feel connected to your car. You truly get a better driving experience and feel to your car. You end up feeling like you are part of the process because you are. Autos are for women plain and simple. If you are a drag racer, yes, an auto will allow you a better time if setup right because all you do is press down the peddle. Get a 5.0 MANual and never look back, plus........you don't have to forfeit your MANCARD like those who drive automatics........ :O
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Maybe if you put a rainbow sticker on the back of it!

My son's first manual transmission is this car. Driving it off the lot was pretty funny, but I spent two hours with him driving stop and go in a neighborhood and he got it down. You will get the hang of it in no time. Once you get a manual transmission you will see what it means to feel connected to your car. You truly get a better driving experience and feel to your car. You end up feeling like you are part of the process because you are. Autos are for women plain and simple. If you are a drag racer, yes, an auto will allow you a better time if setup right because all you do is press down the peddle. Get a 5.0 MANual and never look back, plus........you don't have to forfeit your MANCARD like those who drive automatics........ :O

Shots fired! Lol 💥🔫

Old 11-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm taking that meme lmao

Old 11-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Lol

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I got a 2014 5.0 as my first manual car ever and learned on it to, have about 4850 miles on it right now and no problems yet and no indications that I will be having problems with it in the near future. But I did have my friends teach me who have been driving manual for about 4 years now. Now sometimes I regret getting stick (Regret is too strong of a word, not really regret but can't think of the right word to use) Where I live theres a lot of traffic and sometimes it gets annoying to constantly shift in and out of first gear. There is also times when I just want to cruise around in D when I can't. But IMO you can't go wrong with either one because when there's no traffic and it's a nice day out manual is very fun and rewarding. Both have pros in cons it honestly just comes down to personal preference.
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My first manual was a '95 mustang v6. And I still miss that car.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ah the auto bashers... well, now we know who has actually been to a 1/4 mile track with fast cars and who hasn't... Or who has ever ridden in a higher powered automatic...

Again, it definitely is personal preference, but if you want to win in a straight line, you get an auto. If your auto isn't fun, its because its slow.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I learned on my own bought from the lot and had somewhat of a idea how tp drive it and took it home alone if ypu want to learn manuel you'll learn quick

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
peter863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

I just recently bought fully built 04 gt. and it is my first manual car. It went into storage right away so I still haven't driven it. I have been watching u tube videos doesn't seem that hard. If you want manual I say go for it. A new clutch will probably be for forgiving then a older clutch to learn on.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
WadeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
After having 5 manuals and 6 autos, I'd rather a good auto over a manual.

The problem is by good auto, I mean dual clutch with paddle shifters on the steering wheel with very intelligent programming.

That said, the s197's in my experience only has an ok auto. (compared to some high end dual clutch cars I've driven). Its good enough to simulate a pro driver in a 1/4 mile. But it needs to be a little smart when put in the "S" mode, so I can take it to a road course track.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys.. I will mainly use the car for normal driving not planning on taking it to the strip or racing. . Just love the power and sound of a v8.. also traffic is a big thing where I live.. I drive 12 milea from from to work and takea me 1 hour sometimes cuz of traffic. It gets bumper to bumper .. I imagine that would be a bad experience on a manual ?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I mean if drive in bumper to bumper traffic frequently (every day) get an Auto IMO, i drive in bumper to bumper traffic like 2 times a week maybe 3 but if I was in it every day I would have gotten auto, not worth the hassle to be honest

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #34

Definitely go with the manual transmission! I taught myself on a 2012 genesis coupe manual which was very jumpy. The tq of the 5.0 allows you to be less fine tuned with letting the clutch out and still not stall. Also use the emergency brake when on hills to not roll back. Try and have someone teach you but if not you can learn. Bad habits are noticeable so you will see its wrong and fix it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steven2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
A C7 will eventually be my 1st manual
Hey everybody! Look at me!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT