Rear Big Brake Kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Rear Big Brake Kit

Anyone using a set of rear big brake kits?

What brand did you use and did you need anything else like brake lines, parking brake mods or ABS sensor modification to install them??

Also are you able to still do a burnout with them?

i have the Brembo brake kit that came with the mustang but it still feels a little laking. the brake pedal jerks on hard stops and it seems a bit weak.
crev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Braking also depends, probably most importantly, on your tires. They are what actually stops you. What tires do you have? The pirelli tires are garbage. I'm switching to Michelin AS3 tires when it's time to replace these.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Don't need much on the rears as the fronts are the ones that do almost all of the work. The pulsing u r getting sounds like the anti skid (antilock) system working properly. To get more effective braking on that car, try ss lines, vented/cross drilled rotors and better pads. However, this will make also make the car go through pads much faster, and u will probably encounter more noises from them.
If you r doing much racing, or multiple hard braking events in a short time frame, adding a brake vent tube will help a bit.
Good lick,
Troy

Old 11-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Yea if you feel the ABS kicking in more braking power won't do any good at all. You need to upgrade the suspension and tires. Cause even at that point better pads and lines are going to make the brakes more effective, which will just kick on the ABS quicker.

Suspension and tires are key.

As for being able to do a burnout. Mustangs only come with single piston brakes in the rear, even the Boss and GT500, which is pretty pathetic. Upgrading to something like a 4 piston or 6 piston rear will make it a lot harder to do a burnout. But thats what a line lock is for.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Thanks!
crev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Steeda has an add on kit that I have my eye on. Looks like it uses the stock caliper but increases rotor size.
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammermeow View Post
Steeda has an add on kit that I have my eye on. Looks like it uses the stock caliper but increases rotor size.
All that does is help with cooling, 90% of the cars on the road will see no benefit from a larger rotor using the same caliper. The other 10% are on the race track, or in heavy stop and go traffic, downhill, in Arizona heat.

Actual braking power comes from the calipers, pads, and lines.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Yea if you feel the ABS kicking in more braking power won't do any good at all. You need to upgrade the suspension and tires. Cause even at that point better pads and lines are going to make the brakes more effective, which will just kick on the ABS quicker.

Suspension and tires are key.

As for being able to do a burnout. Mustangs only come with single piston brakes in the rear, even the Boss and GT500, which is pretty pathetic. Upgrading to something like a 4 piston or 6 piston rear will make it a lot harder to do a burnout. But thats what a line lock is for.

All of this. I have 295 Nitto Nt05s on all corners, and i can still kick the ABS on with my Stock GT brakes with Centric blank rotors and Carbotech XP10 pads, meaning i still have way more brake than i do tire.
Tires, pads, rotors (and nothing fancy, a blank is the best you can get), in that order are the key to better stopping power.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT