Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rear Big Brake Kit

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 ·
Anyone using a set of rear big brake kits?

What brand did you use and did you need anything else like brake lines, parking brake mods or ABS sensor modification to install them??

Also are you able to still do a burnout with them?

i have the Brembo brake kit that came with the mustang but it still feels a little laking. the brake pedal jerks on hard stops and it seems a bit weak.

#2 ·
Braking also depends, probably most importantly, on your tires. They are what actually stops you. What tires do you have? The pirelli tires are garbage. I'm switching to Michelin AS3 tires when it's time to replace these.

#3 ·
Don't need much on the rears as the fronts are the ones that do almost all of the work. The pulsing u r getting sounds like the anti skid (antilock) system working properly. To get more effective braking on that car, try ss lines, vented/cross drilled rotors and better pads. However, this will make also make the car go through pads much faster, and u will probably encounter more noises from them.
If you r doing much racing, or multiple hard braking events in a short time frame, adding a brake vent tube will help a bit.
Good lick,
Troy

#4 ·
Yea if you feel the ABS kicking in more braking power won't do any good at all. You need to upgrade the suspension and tires. Cause even at that point better pads and lines are going to make the brakes more effective, which will just kick on the ABS quicker.

Suspension and tires are key.

As for being able to do a burnout. Mustangs only come with single piston brakes in the rear, even the Boss and GT500, which is pretty pathetic. Upgrading to something like a 4 piston or 6 piston rear will make it a lot harder to do a burnout. But thats what a line lock is for.

#8 ·
All of this. I have 295 Nitto Nt05s on all corners, and i can still kick the ABS on with my Stock GT brakes with Centric blank rotors and Carbotech XP10 pads, meaning i still have way more brake than i do tire.
Tires, pads, rotors (and nothing fancy, a blank is the best you can get), in that order are the key to better stopping power.

#6 ·
Steeda has an add on kit that I have my eye on. Looks like it uses the stock caliper but increases rotor size.

#7 ·
All that does is help with cooling, 90% of the cars on the road will see no benefit from a larger rotor using the same caliper. The other 10% are on the race track, or in heavy stop and go traffic, downhill, in Arizona heat.

Actual braking power comes from the calipers, pads, and lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.