Does anyone have the Raxiom navigation system? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Does anyone have the Raxiom navigation system?

I'm thinking about buying one. I've been doing a bit of research and do not see any way to update the maps in this unit.

From what I understand, this unit is manufactured by Rosen Electronics. I've found the user manual and there is no mention of a way to update the maps.

If that is the case, this is a deal killer for me. Once it is installed it would be obsolete. With so much construction going on, you might find yourself in a field on the nav display where there is now a highway.

It's like $700. I think the other features are very cool. Better than the Scosche and Metra kits, by far. If you can't reprogram the maps it seems to be of limited use for navigation.

If I'm wrong about this, someone please enlighten me.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #2

Region: California
I just ordered mine and getting it today as soon as I install I will share as far as I know you CAN update maps via naviextras.com just click rosen and find db mustang download the navi extras program and plug the SD card in the navigation unit onto your computer. Ive downloaded the program and it looks as though you might be able to even update the software.
Ddude122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, thanks. It was not clear to me. I really like this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 03:01 AM   #4

No problem I actually just checked more in depth they sell an updated map (2014) for 60$ as well as a bunch of other maps from different countries, they also have some free updates but it wont let me see them until i plug in the sd card, anyways it looks like updatingis definatley possible, yeah i love the look of this as well anyway goodluck if you get it ill keep you posted.
Ddude122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
will this raxiom gps considered an upgraded head unit over stock? im thinking about adding sub,amp,speakers.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Technically its still the stock unit, you're just adding a touchscreen/nav/backup camera. So you won't be pushing any more power to the speakers, nor will you have low-level RCA outputs. However, if your amp has speaker-level inputs you can pull the signal from the rear speakers, which is what I did. To me, the raxiom is the best value for the money and looks the closest to OEM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigCiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCiv View Post
Technically its still the stock unit, you're just adding a touchscreen/nav/backup camera. So you won't be pushing any more power to the speakers, nor will you have low-level RCA outputs. However, if your amp has speaker-level inputs you can pull the signal from the rear speakers, which is what I did. To me, the raxiom is the best value for the money and looks the closest to OEM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
$700 is a bit much, i see better looking/features on crutchfield for half the price.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

i installed the maestro set up with a kenwood it adds the my mustang app that includes more gauges and tire pressure info plus you can read the codes and clear out the check engine light
tazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazor View Post
i installed the maestro set up with a kenwood it adds the my mustang app that includes more gauges and tire pressure info plus you can read the codes and clear out the check engine light
link or picture n cost? lol
Old 11-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazor View Post
oh yeah!!! I love my setup. heres a few pics

Old 11-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
link or picture n cost? lol
Cost all depends. Its the maestro kit (can't remember the price) and then you can choose Kenwood or alpine (different models.) So the price varies. The price for the one I want is around 1k. Check out crutchfield.com ! Prices seem to be better there for the maestro kit.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
oh yeah!!! I love my setup. heres a few pics

What Kenwood model is that?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That looks really cool. Unfortunately the reviews for the Kenwood unit aren't very encouraging. The reviews for the Alpine unit that also works with the Maestro are terrible.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post

What Kenwood model is that?
dnx890hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinibandGT View Post
That looks really cool. Unfortunately the reviews for the Kenwood unit aren't very encouraging. The reviews for the Alpine unit that also works with the Maestro are terrible.
don't believe everything you hear/read, I honestly haven't had a single issue with this Kenwood

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just a thought on the radio..

I did get the Raxiom. I have not had any issues. Yes I wish it had a way to add stuff and so on... BUT..
when going aftermarket i did not want the screen behind the Shifter, i wanted a stock look to not temp theft.. When i looked the aftermarket Face plate was an issue and priced as much as the radio unit.
I think you will be happy either way. Now if I can find someone near me that I can trust hacking into my wires to add amps.. and a Digital Guard Dawg system
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #15

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
$700 is a bit much, i see better looking/features on crutchfield for half the price.

Actually I priced out a comparable system via Crutchfield today. To keep steering wheel controls, Bluetooth and Sync, the radio and associated parts came to 1100.00. And I used a refurbished Kenwood nav system as the hub. So there is no way in my book to get all this for 650-700 like the Raxiom. What was funny the advisor used the igo nav software and she loved the nav system. She had hers for two years.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
eticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
And then add another $75 for the wires to retain the steering wheel controls.. that's $750 and u can do a lot more with this

airaid cai, bbk tb, bbk shortys, Ford cut/clamp, magnaflow comp catback. bama tunes, 3.73s,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1416288140341.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	169869  
Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone have the Raxiom navigation system?

So it sounds like the Kenwood is solid then? The reviews on it are my only problem.

The plus on the raxium is retaining the stock audio and climate controls.

I had a Metra kit in my 2012 GT and they were crap with no support.

Ditching my Metra double DIN dash kit

I had to pull it out and put the stock stuff back. Waste of money on a pioneer double DIN, plus the cost of the POS Metra kit (over $200).

The scoche kit has some terrible reviews as well. Running peoples batteries down, bricking their cars

This stuff connects to your CAN bus, it can fuk up the car.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

there is absolutely no comparison between the raxiom unit and the idatalink setup, imo, the raxiom looks cheap, and you're stuck with the stock ****ty headunit. the Kenwood and idatalink does so much more and offers so much more. you get all the extras of a better aftermarket head unit, along with the better sound, then you get the added bonus of the OBDII readings, I get real time tire pressure, the ability to not only read, but clear engine codes from the head unit, live real time a/f readings, timing, etc etc

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I would love to have this but at $700 the possibilities are endless of what you could buy......I don't see that navi system sitting beside a hood. I just can't see it lol
WhiteCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I have the Raxiom installed in my car.

It works fine NOW. Major issues at the start and had to replace the first unit.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They had a bad batch go out apparently. With that said, I'd pay the extra for the Kenwood/Maestro. Any factory radio is garbage if you've ever had even a cheaper "good" system in a vehicle before. If the Raxiom was half the price it is... maybe... For the price they want for it they had better include a complimentary tube of analease...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, good to know guys. I really appreciate the info.

None of this is cheap. I can remember when $700-$1000 would buy a couple of Alpine amps, Alpine cassette deck with good frequency response (no digital then), preamp, four speakers. My age is showing.

The Kenwood unit looks very slick. I'll check it out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT