Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Problems with new 5.0

4K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  DWoody 
#1 ·
So ive been looking for a 11-14 gt and doing some research but ive found alot of threads stating that its not very reliable specially the transmission. Im a lil bummed since ive heard alot of hype about the new 5.0s are they really that problematic? Im planning on checking out a 2011 gt with 49k miles automatic for $19,999 . But having dounts now :(

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 ·
Over exaggerated. My MT82 has 42k and I've banged shifts at 7600 more than 100-200 times and have done many on ramp WOTs. Still shifts fine.

Rapinator has over 700whp and over 200+ shots of nitrous and has been trying to blow the transmission up but have yet to break it.

Is the transmission the best? No. Is it smooth as butter? Probably not. Are half of them breaking? Definitely not. Probably only less than half of one percent are having major issues.

And you're looking at an automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#4 ·
If you're looking at an auto then there will be no problems. The 5.0 is fine and strong. The MT-82 is the only pain but since you aren't going to have that in an auto you shouldn't have any problems. The MT-82 isn't that bad anyway. And like it was stated earlier it's strong as hell.

#8 ·
Regardless of which late model Mustang you choose, be sure to check for rust, especially the hood. Just do Google search and you'll see the issues.

That being said, I have a 2013 GT with automatic and couldn't be happier. Just not into shifting gears anymore.

#20 ·
All the issues were fixed by late MY 2011. This is why I'd look for a 2012 personally. Best front end, supposedly better materials on the inside and no real improvements in 2013 except the tails which you can install on an 11/12 no problem.

#21 ·
If you have a base, standard HID's and leather wheel are nice upgrades on the '13-up cars.

#22 ·
HIDs are completely overblown and not necessary. Leather wheel is nice tho.

#24 ·
You'd guess wrong. A quality halogen properly aimed and setup is more than bright enough. Obviously not as bright as an OEM or a retrofit HID but you don't need a headlight that bright. Hell, half the ppl running around with HIDs are running some 8k crap in a reflector housing anyway. Those are not brighter than a good halogen setup.

#26 ·
There is a 2011 base gt for sale right now on svtp for $20k and it's got about 20k miles on it. Looks brand new. Issues with the earlier ones were mostly clutch and flywheel related. There are pretty much no issues with the autos tho.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#47 ·
FYI, GT 2013+ have some upgrades in the motor, coated pistons and oil squirter deletes for example; and the heat extractor vents in the hood to reduce rear cylinder heat that does not get cooled as well as the others.
I just like the looks of the extractors!! ;)

If you can budget the money for a 13-14's OP, then do it. They just look so much better. Better taillights, better front bumper (that looks like GT500s), heat extractor vents in the hood, etc. Slightly revised engine components and an official rating of 420hp.... up a few from 11-12. Though its mostly just a higher marketing #, more than a stronger motor.

#28 ·
I just moved to Oregon from the San Jose area, and they are probably 40+ 2012 to 2014 Mustang GT's for sale at reputable dealers in your area, and most are less than 20k miles. I saw a nice white 2014 GT with 7,000 miles for $24k. It was a base model and not premium, but if you want to spend more you can get one like I got, 2014GT Base with TrakPac, Recaro Seats, 6spd and already came with an SCT tunner and Airaid intake, and only had 2,700 miles. I bought it from a Chevy dealer, and I paid less than $27k.
If you look around you can find some really swinging deals on the 2013/2014's.
As for the 6spd, I'm not in Traffic Central anymore and didn't want an automatic (I just sold my drag car with 2sp Powerglide) and want to shift gears again............I'm 70 and just want to have some fun...............but don't get me wrong I totally understand you wanting an automatic down there.
Personally, I'd look for a 2013 at least, and one with no more than 15k miles..............there a lot of them out there....IMHO

#31 ·
Can't go wrong with the auto. Only thing that might make a lot of ppl who are on the fence of A6 vs M6 go M6 with the new 2015 is the fact that the 2015 is setup so well for handling plus the fact that Ford upgraded the MT82 syncrhos for the 2015s and the new MGW shifter fixes the sloppy stock remote setup in 11+ cars.

#37 · (Edited)
Those aren't good prices.

Good deals are 20k mile 11/12s for $20k and a 26k mile Boss for $28k

Here's the Boss

http://www.myclassiccars.net/forsale.html

And yes it is reduced to $28k now on SVTP.

My Classified-Fu is superior

#39 ·
That Boss is located in NoCal. You could (and maybe still can) get a 2014 GT base model for $27k out the door brand new so when I see a used one for $25k... meh...

#42 ·
The price difference is nearly $5-7k. You could located a bunch of cars in a certain area and compare them online and then when you have enough cars to choose from then fly over there and check it out for a couple days. Once you're satisfied then you could purchase it and ship it back or drive it back.

#43 ·
If I get transferred to the PacWest (lots of orders flying around this spring) I'm very likely going to HAVE to have a car shipped in or at least do a fly out/drive back. I've seen a lot of the cars I like on the East Coast, Texas, Cali and then scattered sparsely over the rest of the country.

#45 ·
Hey thanks for the offer. I would be stationed by Seattle but the wife and I would for sure do a day trip or weekend to Portland. Might take you up on that next year if I do get the orders.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.