Mustang Evolution Forum banner

LED map light stays on but dim

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NacsMXer 
#1 ·
So I replaced my map lights with some pilot 168 led lights. 5 LEDs per bulb. The problem is when I turn them off they still illuminate just a little and don't turn off 100%. I searched the issue and see that others have had the same issue. Do raxiom light do this too? I paid 8$ and raxiom's are 25$ did I get what I paid for or is this just an led thing?

#3 ·
I was a little worried about the battery drain because I drive my car 1 time a week so it sits 6 days out of a week. But from the research ive done the draw from the LED is so small it would take over 1 year to drain the battery. Its more about wanting it to work like it should and seeing a dim light in there all the time just bugs me. Just wanting to know what brand doesnt stay on?

#4 ·
I've done this in previous 2 cars and had the same issue. Even when the light is off they are putting a faint light out. It didn't cause an issue but it was really annoying for me. So apparently it doesn't matter the male or model it is a common issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
My friend put some Philips LED's in his 2012 Ford focus and he claims they don't stay on. Mine are Pilot LED's and stay on. From what im reading I guess some bulbs have a resistor built in that only switch the light on at a certain voltage. If our LEDs are staying on it is due to a very slight voltage leak of maybe 0.1 mah. Maybe the 29.99 LED's are that price because of the added resistor. Maybe a few guys can chime in and tell us what brand LED you have and if they stay on or not.

#7 ·
I have the Sylvania LEDriving bulbs in my map lights and license plate lights. They can be bought locally at any Autozone. Mine function like stock and do not stay dimly lit. Both sets of bulbs have the perfect amount of brightness with a clean white light to them.

Sylvania is an OEM bulb supplier for many manufacturers so I didn't mind paying a little extra for these. I've tried so many lesser quality Ebay LED bulbs, VLED's, etc. and the Sylvania's are definitely a notch above in quality and look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.