Mustang Evolution Forum banner

SR Performance Lowering Springs

3K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  Eric5oh 
#1 ·
Alright, first of all I'm aware that this has been controversial on the forum so the last thing i need is people saying "oh another person that needs to realize not to buy the cheapest springs". But I was wondering if it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to get the adjustable panhard bar. And if so is it alright to drive my car after i get the springs but before i install the pan hard bar. Also i have been reading about needing new rear lower control arms camber bolts ect but I only intend to lower the car 1.5 inches. I am a college student trying to save as much money as possible so i would like to know exactly what i need without spending a crazy amount of money.
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I would definitely get panhard, camber bolts (unless you're racing then I'd get plates) man. 1.5" drop will settle and it's more drastic than you think. I know I had the same thoughts. The rear end gets kicked out substantially, get at least a panhard...

PS down the road invest in struts and shocks because they will wear out. LCA relo's ehhhh, depends if you're gunna drag and whatnot.

I understand the whole college bit, I do, but lowering your car honestly isn't just throwing on springs and calling it a day. Other suspension components will wear out at an alarming rate. Just an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 ·
So what do you suggest then? I already ordered the springs and i can get the panhard bar no problem now i just don't want to do any harm to my car. Unfortunately i never looked into what else i would have needed hard enough before buying them. Realistically,1.5 isn't too hard on the car right?

#5 ·
I was going to install the springs when they came in next week and then install the panhard bar whenever it came in. I drive my car to and from campus once a day and leave my house seldom otherwise so it's not like im driving the car to the point to where it's going to be wearing and tearing if I don't get the right components right away... But correct me if im wrong.

#6 ·
Well, I think you'll be good, as long as you plan on doing the rest o the components at least somewhat relatively soon yanno? I also advise you to wait only because you're going to be a plow during the winter months. I haven't looked at your location so correct me if I'm wrong there lol.

#7 ·
Good news is im in Florida lmao not a problem

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

But I appreciate the advice as well

#9 ·
I installed SR springs with only an adj panhard bar on mine and all is well, but car was basically new. If your car is low miles and not beat on like you say, then you can get away with the stockers. The consensus is that they will wear quicker, but you may as well get what you can out of them. They will have to be replaced eventually just like every other set of shocks/struts, but I don't think you'd be in too much danger of a real failure, especially with the situation you describe.
I shied away from installing camber bolts after some research, and I'm glad I did because I didn't need them. But down the road you will definitely want to upgrade the crappy strut mounts when you do the struts - even if your geometry is correct.
The "best" way would be to do everything all at once of course, but we all know the best way isn't always the easiest - or cheapest.
Good luck with it. I've been more than happy with my SR springs on my daily driver and I couldn't wait to get them on either lol.

#10 ·
I said what I said ONLY to save the kid big headaches down the road. I also don't think it makes sense to either dig in, or have a shop dig into your suspension, only to have to repeat the process when he decides to finish the job. Curious Bobby, how many miles have you put on your car with only springs and a panhard?

#11 ·
I would look in to front and rear sway bar and add a adjustable sway bar link in the front lowering your car will put lots of pressure on your stock ones and may cause a clunk soind witch wont cause harm but are very annoying.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#12 ·
And I dont think the sr performance springs are bad especially for the price, I put these on my 06 gt with koni yellow shocks and sr sway bar and links, panhard bar and strut tower and my car handles almost as good as my rx8, I take it out to the track about 6 time a yr

#18 ·
If you want to save $ but still want better than oem feel in your car I suggest sr performance springs with kyb shocks with aren't the best but better then oem, panhard bar and adjustable sway bar links, I think that would be more then enough for your basic driving.

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I don't auto cross or drive it too hard on corners and the car has 30k miles on it. I don't ever autocross or drive it hard around turns ever nor do I ever plan too honestly. My main goal was to have a daily driver that is stanced with almost no wheel gap (I thought SR would suffice) and keep the cost of lowering it down as much as possible. Basically what im picking up on is to get the panhard bar, install it, get an alignment and see where to go from there???

#30 ·
... Now go get some wheels and a spoiler lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#32 ·
I didn't need the panhard rod but bought it anyway

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#35 ·
Thanks for the help man really i do appreciate it and im sure you're right every car is different... I'll get the panhard bar on soon after I get the springs on when they come in and go from there.

#36 ·
Sounds like a good plan bro. Like I said, I'm just trying to save you future headaches. A lot goes into "lowering a car." It's just not as simple as some may think. You change the geometry of things, then other things will be affected. It's inevitable.

#37 ·
I have coil overs and they are as low as they can get in the front, front tires tucked in finder well, and about two inch drop in the rear. Couldn't lower all the way do to 3" exhaust. I do not have adjustable pan bar and my rear end and pinion angle are in factory specs. I do have camber plates up front to get the caster and canner to factory spec.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#38 ·
How long have you had the set up because as far as I've been reading you're shocks and struts may need replacing soon ? What I've been gathering is if you lower the car no matter how much you're gonna have to eventually overhaul your whole suspension. I may just be over speculating but then again people may be talking about more than a 1.5" drop all around which is what im doing. But than again like we've said every car is different

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.