Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Difference Between Barton/MGW

4K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Can someone describe the difference in the feel and performance of the two? I have a steeda tri ax and I want to try another shifter. The steeda is good, but I wanted a shifter takes a little less effort to get into gear. 1st to second is pretty rough with the steeda.

People say the barton is notchy...what exactly does that mean? Is the MGW a similar feel?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#6 ·
I have a Ford Racing (Barton) and my buddy has the MGW, the both feel the same shift wise, the only difference is the MGW is in reverse and you are taking it out of reverse, it springs back, the Ford Racing doesn't.

#11 ·
No its not what I'm describing. It's the shifter for sure. There's nothing wrong with the shifter, I would just prefer a shifter with less of a notchy feel. If the mgw is less notchy, I'm going to go that route. 2nd gear is harder to get into in higher rpms, but that's a clutch and trans twist issue I believe.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#15 ·
There is also the Whiteline bushing insert. Basically it fills up the voids in the horrifically designed OEM rubber trans mount and keeps the tailshaft from jumping all the hell over the place and binding up the shift linkage at higher RPMs.

#18 ·
you would see a diff. The Steeda is a step above the stock shifter which is sloppy and notchy. The barton is a firm but positive shift into any gear. I did the shifter & bracket and was happy then did the whiteline bushing a week or so later and all my shifts are solid and sure.....and quick.

#19 ·
Whiteline bushing seems to make a huge difference. Just watching the install videos of it you can see that it would have to. Not sure wth Ford was thinking with that bushing...

#28 ·
The GT500 MGW... that might as well be a required modification literally as soon as you pull your car into the driveway from driving it home before you ever fire it up and drive it again.[/QUOTE]

Yea, pretty much what I did. Installed my MGW AT 2500 miles. It has solved most of my shifting issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.