Best tire for traction - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Best tire for traction

I have a 2014 gt. Automatic lowered 1.5 and has kooks longtubes with the catted x. JLT intake and a tune. I run 20" wheels with mickey thompson street Comp tires and can't seam to get traction to save my life. What tires do you recommend?
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Slicks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

Drag radials

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking for a tire that i can use as a daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
I'm looking for a tire that i can use as a daily driver.

Nito Invos 285/35/19 are really good, that's what I been using for 5 months. They are pretty much dead now since I did over 15 burnouts and ran down the track 50+ times, and I always abuse them lmfao. But yeah they are actually a really good long lasting reasonable price performance tire!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I have a 2014 gt. Automatic lowered 1.5 and has kooks longtubes with the catted x. JLT intake and a tune. I run 20" wheels with mickey thompson street Comp tires and can't seam to get traction to save my life. What tires do you recommend?
Need more information....

1. What size tires do you have? (maybe try wider tires)
2. What are you trying to do ? (drag race, road race, just drive fast in general )
3. Where are you located / whats the temp? (your tires are meant to be summer tires.. its getting cold right now in most parts of the country... could be you too cold)

1. With the power that a Coyote engine makes you need at least 275 wide rear tires, and preferrably bigger, 285, 295 or 305.

2. If you're drag racing, you do better with smaller wheel like 17-18"
& a drag radial.

3. If you're talking about just driving around town and its cold, you might need to get a set of all season winter tires for this time of year. The Mickey Thompsons you have are really meant for hot summer driving.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I know the michelin pilot sports are way better than the track pack perelli p zeroes. Very high urethane content and multiple compounds. I got the A/S 3 for my DD.

hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Best tire for traction

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post

1. What size tires do you have?

2. What are you trying to do ? (drag race, road race, just drive fast in general )

3. Where are you located / whats the temp? (your tires are meant to be summer tires.. its getting cold right now in most parts of the country... could be you too cold)

1. With the power that a Coyote engine makes you need at least 275 wide rear tires, and preferrably bigger, 285, 295 or 305.

& a drag radial.

3. If you're talking about just driving around town and its cold, you might need to get a set of all season winter tires for this time of year. The Mickey Thompsons you have are really meant for hot summer driving.

I don't have Mickey Thompsons? I have Nitto Invos like I said, I live in Texas... They were great all summer/fall/ and still hooked up during the cold 50 degrees temps, I don't lose traction in the rain unless I hit the pedal hard. I daily drive my car on the streets every day hard and track it about 5+ days a month. Rim is 19x9.5 SVE Drift, and front tires 255/40/19 rears 285/35/19, that's the boss 302 setup. Works perfect

edit. Thought u were talkin to me. My bad!!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post

1. What size tires do you have? (maybe try wider tires)

& a drag radial.

I'm running a 275/35-20.

I live in Phoenix Arizona.

I'm more into drag racing and just general go fast
Old 11-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I'm running a 275/35-20.

I live in Phoenix Arizona.

I'm more into drag racing and just general go fast
1.Well, you can go bigger next time. Each 10+ (Ex: 275 to 285) is 0.4 inch wider. Going to 295 will give you 0.8 x 2 rear tires = 1.6" more "meat". Thats considerable.

2. I've been to Phoenix in December and it was cool, cold at night. But summer tires should be fine for you year around, considering how little rain & cold you get.

3. Better usually costs more. Nitto's are a good compromise... good high performance for the price. I had Pilot Super Sports on my last car & the grip was phenomenal, but they were expensive. Go a step up and get Pilot Cup tires, even more expensive... even more grip!!

Also, IF you only lowered, and didn't do any other suspension work, you should probably do these things:
1. LCA relocation bracket
2. stiffer LCA's
3. stiffer UCA
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT