Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Painted Faux Gas Cap black

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  white14v6 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just wanted to share with you a weekend mod I worked on recently. I had previously plasti dipped the chrome piece of the gas cap black and didn't love how the flat black blended with the gloss of the surrounding deck lid. I took the time this weekend to remove the deck lid and properly paint the gas cap gloss black. I think it turned out well!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Niice. Looks good man. I have mine dipped. That definitely looks better.

#5 ·
I removed the whole decklid panel which is honestly a PITA. Then removed the gas cap and taped off the center. I cleaned it with mineral spirits and used the Krylon Fusion Plastic spray paint with 4 coats. Didn't sand it as this specific paint is designed to adhere to plastics without sanding.

I think it came out great, clear coat isn't a bad idea but even without it I believe it should last for quite a while.

If I could do it over I would leave it on the car, tape it off, and then cover the car and paint it that way. Would be much easier than dealing with the hassle of breaking the decklid tabs and removing the gas cap from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.