Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Already planning out next Mustang purchase 11-14 GT vs 07-09 GT500

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  c_rizzle 
#1 · (Edited)
First let me say, if my left knee doesn't get better, the decision will be made for me and I'll wind up in an 11-14 auto. However, yet another MRI has revealed no damage and PT/brace has already got it feeling much better. This has got me looking at GT500s again against my better judgement lol. Particularly the 07-09s which I just love the look of for whatever reason.

I know the auto Coyote is going to be a much MUCH more capable 1/4 car but I'm not exactly sure how often I'll get to the track vs just pleasure driving through the backroads around here and punching it on straightaways.

Now... is it worth the $5k-$10k premium for a potentially 4-7 year older car? I'm honestly asking, not speculating. I'm seeing GT500s down in the $25k range with 45k miles on them but the same Coyote is going to be $20k with 10-20k less miles. Obviously the bolt on cars are going to be more in both regards.

edit: I'm well aware of the clutch issues on the 07-09 GT500s and the potential trans issues and how to check them for problems. I also would not buy a car that did not have a 2010+GT500 clutch or a McCleod already done. All the cars I'm seeing on SVTP already have the RXT/Flywheel and that is the best place to buy a GT500 IMO.

See less See more
#2 ·
I went through the same mental masturbation late spring. I owned an 03 Cobra back when they came out. Was looking at low mile 07-08 GT500's versus 13/14 Coyotes. Now I would not be comparing a base model GT to a GT500 as then you lose (go for premium gt) all the goodies and options. The GT500 attracted me mainly for the Shelby name plate and the relatively easy and cost effective hp increase potential. But, after driving one the stiff clutch and pretty dated (all black no contrast) interior was a turn off. Too much work to drive. Plus the car (with the iron block) did not handle all that well being nose heavy. I was disappointed because this was the car I thought I wanted over the past 2-3 years. So far very happy I went for a 500 mile used 14 GT/CS in the auto. Plus love having the track aps, live a/f in dash, blue tooth, etc. Good luck.

#3 ·
See, I'm not one for all the bells and whistles, I'd be getting a base model Coyote to keep cost down if I go the Coyote route. I can put in racing seats myself and upgrade the brakes to GT500 take offs if I did get the Coyote and felt I needed more than the base brakes. I come from a Fisher Price SN95 interior and honestly the biggest complaint I had was the shifter location. Interior and creature comforts are not as important to me as the performance aspect.

As far as the handling, I know in stock form the Coyote is much better but what about after one does a full control arm/suspension/K member setup? I've read on some of the Shelby forums that once you "fix" the stock suspension its pretty good since its a S197.

#5 ·
Performance wise they seem about the same stock to me. I like the 11-14 styles better, more lines but that is all opinion. The GT500 is older too. The only reason i see to get the GT500 is... it's a GT500 which ALLOT of people have appeal for the shorter runs. Either way just make sure to save room for MODS!! lol.

#6 · (Edited)
My plan for either car would be:

-Full BMR setup out back with watt's link and BMR K/A arms up front and correct springs/shocks/struts
-All the "bolt ons"
-Fuel
-Power adder (On3 TT kit for Coyote or TVS takeoff for GT500)

I realize that a 600whp auto Coyote will likely beat a 700whp GT500 all other things being equal.

Edit: Mental Masturbation is a good way to put this.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
My plan for either car would be:

-Full BMR setup out back with watt's link and BMR K/A arms up front and correct springs/shocks/struts
-All the "bolt ons"
-Fuel
-Power adder (On3 TT kit for Coyote or TVS takeoff for GT500)

I realize that a 600whp auto Coyote will likely beat a 700whp GT500 all other things being equal.

Edit: Mental Masturbation is a good way to put this
I say go for the coyote, just like your old 98gt ended up 99-04pi swap if you get the GT500 you'll want to do a coyote swap lol. On a serious note a friend of mine just bought a 2012 gt 6spd man and with a tune, cai 3:15 gears ran in the low 12's.The interior that was in my 06gt premium is no comparison to the 10-14 interior.

#8 ·
I can't stand the look. Just today an ad banner popped up on my laptop and I had to double take for a minute to see if it was a Mustang or a Fusion. That fact alone is enough to keep me pre-15 in Mustang world. If I buy new, it will be something from the expected 2017 refresh, a special edition or a 2016+ LT1 Camaro.

#12 ·
If you plan on modding the heck out of it, a Coyote powered GT would be your best bet. The GT500 will be a collectible and is better left stock. Although I own a 14, it seems like there are more parts for the 11-12 GT's. The aftermarket isn't as interested in the 13-14's. Also the earlier (11-12) Coyotes have the piston oil squirters, that would be a plus if you want to go the forced induction route.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#13 ·
I don't buy into the "collectible" BS especially the GT500s. There were way more 07+ GT500s built than ppl think. If you want a collectible one, you buy a GT500KR that is a Shelby vinned car and take it out on pristine days from memorial day to labor day and that's it. At least IMO.

Plenty of modded to hell GT500s, I like the fact that they are literally $2k of mods away from 580/600 even though they'll be heat soaked pretty quick with that stock blower. Also, there are a LOT of them that already come with the RXT, exhaust, pulley and tune already done and right at 550whp.

I dunno I just like them, but I will have to do a lot of research and start test driving here and there and more and more as I get closer to actually buying one. Obviously just at a dealer lot, I will NEVER be a tire kicker for a private sale.

Its still hard to justify a GT500 though, especially with the prices of the 11/12 Coyotes. The Chinese MT82 turns me off big time with the ratios and the issues ppl are having with them but I'd probably get the automatic which is USA made and will never have to be upgraded. I just saw a 2011 Premium auto about 5 hours away listed on SVTP with 19k miles for $22,500 OBO. Bone stock except for a few cosmetics. Could probably get it for $20,500 with the stock wheels and haggling if I was in the market this second.

#14 ·
I don't buy into the "collectible" BS especially the GT500s. There were way more 07+ GT500s built than ppl think. If you want a collectible one, you buy a GT500KR that is a Shelby vinned car and take it out on pristine days from memorial day to labor day and that's it. At least IMO.

Plenty of modded to hell GT500s, I like the fact that they are literally $2k of mods away from 580/600 even though they'll be heat soaked pretty quick with that stock blower. Also, there are a LOT of them that already come with the RXT, exhaust, pulley and tune already done and right at 550whp.

I dunno I just like them, but I will have to do a lot of research and start test driving here and there and more and more as I get closer to actually buying one. Obviously just at a dealer lot, I will NEVER be a tire kicker for a private sale.

Its still hard to justify a GT500 though, especially with the prices of the 11/12 Coyotes. The Chinese MT82 turns me off big time with the ratios and the issues ppl are having with them but I'd probably get the automatic which is USA made and will never have to be upgraded. I just saw a 2011 Premium auto about 5 hours away listed on SVTP with 19k miles for $22,500 OBO. Bone stock except for a few cosmetics. Could probably get it for $20,500 with the stock wheels and haggling if I was in the market this second.

DO IT, DO IT!

You need to have the funds ready to go, b/c when there's a good deal out there, they go fast. And if you see something nice (say with trackpack, brembos, recaros, etc.), pristine just like you want, its likely its desirable to a lot of other people too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.