Getrag MT82 Clunk/Gear Nibble Fixed with Blowfish Bracket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Getrag MT82 Clunk/Gear Nibble Fixed with Blowfish Bracket

So, as many have experienced the classic gear clunk and synchro nibble when shifting this transmission, I have performed a bunch of mods to try fixing this. Mine wasn't terribly, but it was enough for me to baby the trans. I had a little nibble with a clunk going from 1st to 2nd. 2nd to 3rd was pretty decent and 3rd to 4th was the worst. This problem for me was worst before the trans warmed up, but I would still get occasional problems depending on how I shifted. It got a lot worse with the cold weather (it's about 25 deg here now). I installed the MGW short shifter, which didn't really help at all (not that I really thought it would). I then changed the fluid to Redline MTL, which made a pretty big difference but I still had problems.

Today I just installed the Blowfish support bracket which essentially turns this semi remote mounted shifter into a hard mounted top loading shifter like a T56. This by far has made the biggest difference in how this transmission shifts! The shifts are much more positive and there is a definitive "pop" into gear. Before it felt very vague and sloppy even with the MGW. The best part of this mod... I don't get that awful nibble when shifting into gear AT ALL. There is a light click (not a clunk) when shifting from 1st to 2nd when the trans is cold, but its gone within 5 min of driving. It is hardly worth even mentioning.

A lot of people in other threads complain about increased NVH with the bracket, which I have not experienced at all. There is no extra noise at all even with the MGW heat shield removed. If you rest your hand on the shift knob while driving you will feel a little extra vibration, but its not bad at all (I have the track MGW bushing installed). Also, if you are going to use the MGW shifter with this bracket be sure to install the adapter and MGW bracket correctly to avoid having the stock bracket studs from rubbing the MGW bracket. I have the Blowfish lowered all the way and there is no contact between the MGW bracket and the studs.

I also have an SR Performance braided steel clutch line coming in tomorrow. I will report back with the results this mod has on the system when I get it installed friday.
thebeerbaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The blowfish bracket looks like a stout piece, I would be interested in machining and welding it in my shop before I paid that price though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ncfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The amount of time to measure and get it all correct without the use of the bracket for a template and metal cost, machine time, weld time, powdercoat cost then install time is well worth 299.00 Unless you just have a desire to waste money and time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
SSTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My post was made after a few beers and jacks. You know how that story goes haha. Yes I definitely agree that it's a lot easier to just buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ncfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Its definitely worth the money to me! I just installed the SR Performance clutch line today. Getting the Trans side disconnected and reconnected was by far the most difficult part. It took several hundred pumps to get the clutch bleed (most of them by hand because the pedal stays on the floor). After taking it for a test drive I have found the clutch feels better and the shifts are even smoother. It does seem the raise the engagement point off the floor a bit and you can feel it engage better. Overall I am more than happy with the Getrag MT82 after these mods. Prior to this it really felt like garbage. I think the trans itself is a good piece, but its biggest downfall is the semi remote shifter design.

Just to some it all up here is what I did:

-Redline MTL fluid
-Blowfish support bracket
-MGW shifter
-SR Performance braided clutch line
Old 06-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Just did my clutch line

it took about 2 solid hours, but that's doing it in the driveway with one jack and a jackstand. The hardest part after finding where the line plugs into the left side(drivers) of the tranny, was getting the line to actually go into its receptacle. But I have to say this if my disabled *** can do it, anyone can( Combat & IED's really wear on your mind and body). I turned the car on when I pumped up the clutch and yes it does go all the way to the floor and stay there so you have to do it by hand to pull it out and push it in, then it will start building pressure and it will go back to normal. once I could feel pressure I tried keeping the pedal held down for 5 seconds then kept repeating and the pedal came back within 10 minutes. I'm going to the drag strip tomorrow so I'll report back if I notice a difference in the shift quality or not.
BOSS intake, Steeda CAI, SCT livewire TS, A.R. long tubes & 3" X-pipe, Bassani axle back, AMR wheels, Steeda upper&lower control arms, Raxiom Black Projector/HALO headlights, Trufiber hood, CS/BOSS front & rear valence, BOSS splitter, Stainless Braided Clutch Line, TruCarbon CF Grille, MMD Black tail light trim & Trunk Emblem Surround, Carbon Fiber Dash Overlay Kit. Barton Industries Short Shifter and Bracket, DSS 3.5" Aluminum driveshaft. 417 HP 373 lbsft at wheels and loving it.
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT