Mustang Evolution Forum banner

4:10s - Tune? Pros and cons?

4K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  20145pointOH 
#1 ·
Ordered me some 4:10s
Wasn't sure if needed to tune the car. It's bone stock.

Waiting for Lund to drop a new tuner before I take that plunge.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 ·
Auto

:-/

Why waste?
I'm not running tracks. Stop lite to stop lite. 10s in back soon with good tires.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

I had 4:10s in a 88 GT manual and loved them.
Everyone I talk to says the rule of thumb is 4:10s auto and 3:73s manual.

#6 ·
So ..... I screwed up?

I'm not a good numbers guy. If 4:10s go in, what will I feel different in the car? Worse take offs?

The few ppl that put me over the edge to buy them said Id never be able to keep rubber on the wheels

So of course I was like "fun!"

#38 · (Edited)
The 4:10's, the tune. the intake were the first and only mods I've done - all around 9 years ago. Never looked back, you'll feel it in the seat of your pants and know with those mods you'll probably beat most stock GT's red light to red light. (Not that I'd endorse street racing:danger:)
BTW, I'm a 2005 4.0 V6 Auto

#9 ·
You will never plant the tires in 1st, it may be fun for red light to red light

I run 4.10's in my 2012 5.0 it's a manual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

3.31's for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#15 ·
Most of them think the exact same thing as you thought. You do feel a difference in acceleration because gears are shorter and you go through them quicker. Realistically though its just how the car "feels", gears like 3.31 will still be "faster"

#31 · (Edited)
Still it'd need a tune with them correct?
Yes, you'll need to get a tuner OR the dealer (or any mechanic shop with the Ford IDS system) can program your car for stock ratios/options.

For modern 5.0's the general rule, IF you're going to get gears, you get:

3.31 for auto, maybe 3.55

3.73 for manual, maybe 4.10

Just going up one notch works well. Up 2 notches and your run out of room at the top end and you're shifting way too often... losing time.

As grabber is probably going to tell you.... spend your money on a Circle D torque converter.

#17 ·
Different gearing. Assume you are talking about the T-56 Magnum? That has 2 different choices for gearing available, the 2.97 and the 2.66, both completely different than the 6R80's 4.17.

A 4.17 1st gear with 3.31s is a total of 13.8 (4.17x3.31)
A 2.66 1st gear with 4.10s is a total of 10.9

So realistically 4.10s in the T-56 magnum that uses a 2.66 1st gear is going to be LESS aggressive than the 6R80 with 3.31s.

#20 ·
The fastest auto guy's have tried all the ratio's. You just got sold more parts for no real gain. 3.31's for auto I think were the fastest. Your factory 3.15's would have been fine. Money much better spent elsewhere...

#21 ·
I have the ford racing 4.10's installed on my 2014, I don't race or any of that I personally like the low geared cars . True it shortens the shifting but I like it
I think it wakes the car up

Also if you do a year change you will need a tuner to adjust your speedo

Jho

#24 ·
Yea mine is a manual
I can't speak for an auto

#25 ·
Thanks guys.
Some of you can be blunt but I just take that as old timers knowing what they talking about. Been talking to Alex at AM and kudos to him, he will take them back and exchange.

Like I told Alex, I'm not a track guy. I'm just the local guy on the town cruise that like to show off.

I'm playing with guys in like 350zs and chargers.

#27 ·
Or shift into 4th before the 1/4 pole...

OP, what did you exchange them for? You probalby don't need to get rid of the 3.15s honestly, that $$$ for the gears and the $$$ to have a shop install can go elsewhere and get you way better bang for the buck.

#32 ·
Honestly for the auto the guys leave the 3.15s or go 3.31s, 3.55s will have the trans shifting into 4th and out of the peak powerband before the 1/4 mile. For the stick, just go 4.10s or even 4.30s and call it a day. People get all scared off by the highway RPM with the steeper gears. If you're already at 3.73s, another 100-150 RPM on the highway isn't going to kill you. Go up half or 1 inch on rear tire size and it'll come right back down for cruising.

#33 · (Edited)
4.10 and people would be shifting into 5th as they cross the line. With my 28.4" tall tires I will top at 116mph in 4th gear on 4.10 gears. With 3.73 I top at like 128mph in 4th.

I can't imagine needing to cross the 1/4 mile line needing to shift to 5th which for sure 4.30 would require me to and I have tall as hell tires. This coming from me shifting at 7600rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.