Are these superchargers really that different? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Are these superchargers really that different?

Vortech Mustang V-3 Si-Trim & Air to Air Charge Cooler - Tuner Kit - Stealth Black 4FQ218-124L (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

Vortech Mustang Supercharger System - Black 4FQ218-024L (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

Maybe i am missing something but the boost and everything seems to be the same. I am not an expert by any means so hoping someone can help me out here? Maybe AM Dan or Alex?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Tuner kit does not have any calibration or fuel delivery parts

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Tuner kit does not have any calibration or fuel delivery parts

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Thanks man, knew I was missing something
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Yep the more expensive one is absolutely everything you need minus a dyno tune

Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Region: California
Most people go with tuner kits, especially if they have other mods done that will require different injectors, or if they are swapping to E85, and then their dyno tune.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You don't even need a dyno tune anymore either. You need a tune but with the software/hardware and remote datalogging you can just have AED or VMP or whoever burn you a startup tune, follow the instructions and send them your datalogs and get back a custom street tune and go.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You don't even need a dyno tune anymore either. You need a tune but with the software/hardware and remote datalogging you can just have AED or VMP or whoever burn you a startup tune, follow the instructions and send them your datalogs and get back a custom street tune and go.
Pretty damn amazing times we live in in all honesty.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You can save some serious $ by buying the full "Beefcake Special Kit" from TBR that is:

Vortech V3 Tuner Kit
Injector Dynamics ID 1000 injectors
MaxFlo BAP
Remote Tuning by Lund Racing
5699.00 for everything in satin, BUT you can easily paint the piping and head unit with engine paint. If you want the Satin Black from the factory, it is still only 5949.00

The Beefcake Special Vortech V3 - 800 Horsepower Complete 2011-2014 5.0 Kit
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
You can save some serious $ by buying the full "Beefcake Special Kit" from TBR that is:

Vortech V3 Tuner Kit
Injector Dynamics ID 1000 injectors
MaxFlo BAP
Remote Tuning by Lund Racing
5699.00 for everything in satin, BUT you can easily paint the piping and head unit with engine paint. If you want the Satin Black from the factory, it is still only 5949.00

The Beefcake Special Vortech V3 - 800 Horsepower Complete 2011-2014 5.0 Kit
As good as that price is, I still say the On3 twin turbo kit is better. $3750 for the tuner kit and then bring your own fuel/tune. No having to buy headers/mid pipe either once the turbo kit is bolted up because it all comes with it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What you fail to mention is this:
A person with marginal mechanical skills and tools can EASILY install the Vortech V3 kit in your driveway on the weekend.
The On3 kit, you better be a master mechanic with fabrication skills to complete the install. And then the tuning................You are comparing a super basic twin turbo kit that has no fuel mods, tuning or anything to a kit that has everything you need. Once all said and done, your On3 kit will cost you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the $3750 you throw out there. Not bashing the On3 because they have some good numbers out there but there is a lot more to a turbo and making your car run properly than just bolting up a kit and taking off.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Agreed turbo kits are more complicated to install but totally disagree you need to be a master tech. If you can do intermediate automotive maintenance, you can install one. With every single box checked for the turbo kit (except the blankets) including billet compressor wheels and the 67mm ball bearing upgrade its still sub 5,000. You'd need to get a BAP and a tune but consider the tune a wash with any other kit like a Vortech/Paxton/KB because the pre-canned tunes you get with them suck on any application and you'll want to get a better one.

Just presenting another option. IMO, for an automatic especially, the On3 kit is a no brainer.

And if you were thinking of doing a crazy exhaust with the supercharger, tack on another $1200 for a good stainless longtube/mid pipe set which you don't need to worry about with the turbo.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
but consider the tune a wash with any other kit like a Vortech/Paxton/KB because the pre-canned tunes you get with them suck on any application and you'll want to get a better one.
Wrong, with the TBR "Beefcake Special", INCLUDED is remote tuning with Lund Racing. Definately NOT anything NEAR a "canned" tune. You go through a series of tuning sessions from idle, to neutral revs to driving throuh rpm ranges and then finally WOT pulls. It takes at least 5 or so tune revisions to get it where they want it. Your car is tuned with real world loads on your motor. Not a one tune fits all tune, it is custom tuned to your motor like it is used on the streets, not on a no load set of rollers.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok then there you go with the Lund tune, that is a legit good tune didn't see that part. I know the Lund/AED/VMP tunes are great. You seem to think I'm trying to say the Vortech kit sucks, I'm not. I'm saying there is another option for a comparable price and some ppl would rather have a turbo especially the auto guys.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

No, not at all, just cleaning mis-truths up. I like the On3 kits for the price, just there is a world of difference between a basic TT kit and a supercharger kit that has everything included that can be done in your driveway
Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well, both can be done in the driveway lol.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have no personal experiences with the On3 kit, but this thread is interesting

On3 performance Twin Turbo kit - Page 22
Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I was going with the on3 kit, was about to drop the car off at my old shop.
but just recently swapped shops, I am now tuned by Jeff from central texas performance.
We are now going with the Paxton. Completely opposite of what my first goal was, but Jeff and I have been communicating, alot the last week, and we'll hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I thought you said the on3 was the only way to go rap? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
I thought you said the on3 was the only way to go rap? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I still love the kit, for the price yes it is. I'm not dropping my 4.10's that's another reason why we aren't going with the on3.

Still prefer nitrous over any of them, but the constantly filling bottles has gotten worse than old. The car still has a dry kit on it. But the wet kit is gone

Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well with the manual... you guys know way more about it than I do but everything I've seen and my experience with various mustangs/sports cars over the years says that the Centri cars NEED gears especially in a roll race to make up for the torque deficiency vs the PD/Turbo cars.

I still want an auto 11/12, a triple disc stall and the On3...

Old 11-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I still love the kit, for the price yes it is. I'm not dropping my 4.10's that's another reason why we aren't going with the on3.

Still prefer nitrous over any of them, but the constantly filling bottles has gotten worse than old. The car still has a dry kit on it. But the wet kit is gone

Tired of that facial expression Rap?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1416462669127.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	169976  
Old 11-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

I also thought Rap was swapping the MT-82 out with a 4R. I know Performance Automatic has a full blown drop in kit with a controller and everything for the Coyote. I have heard that the controller they include with it can't handle a 7k+ shift though which would make it kinda stupid for a Coyote app...

Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I also thought Rap was swapping the MT-82 out with a 4R. I know Performance Automatic has a full blown drop in kit with a controller and everything for the Coyote. I have heard that the controller they include with it can't handle a 7k+ shift though which would make it kinda stupid for a Coyote app...
I am, once the mt82 takes a dump.
I'm getting the kit from JPC. I will also still be able to run my 4.10's with the 4R. It's right at $6,000 for everything from them

Old 11-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Watch now that MT-82 will hang on right up until you decide to sell the car, then it'll **** its guts all over the place and you'll have to replace it just to sell it lol.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Watch now that MT-82 will hang on right up until you decide to sell the car, then it'll **** its guts all over the place and you'll have to replace it just to sell it lol.
A couple missed shifts at 8k rpm will help that process along lol. If i remember right Rap said that to get his built motor the first one had to go (to get permission from the wife), so a little extra nitrous was added and that did it......... So if its the same circumstance a few missed shifts and your good to go lmao.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I hope she never grabs my phone and starts looking through my post, where I talked about that lmao.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, two passwords should fix that. Until she sees there are two passwords and starts to demand to know why you feel you need to keep her out of your phone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT