2013 GT Drivetrain/Engine Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2013 GT Drivetrain/Engine Question

I come from the Camaro world, and their push-rod engine design. I am really only very knowledgeable on the LS engines, so I have a few questions about the drive train on my MT-82 and engine of course.

I bought a used 2013 Manual GT with 39k miles. Yes, that is a lot of miles but I do not drive more than 10k a year. I am a college student.

I still got a warranty on it, but before I take it anywhere Id like to hear some opinion. Whats the deal with the constant tick I hear from the front engine? Is that the lifters? fuel pump? Also the whine from the rear? Is that the drivetrain? I have no leaks back there but I am just curious.

Also what is with the lack of low end torque! I am assuming the stock tune is really ehhhh? But at some points I feel if I do not hit 3000rpm, I wont have any noticeable torque feels?
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Do a search for the tick. Nobody seems to know for sure yet but quite common. Engine is a dohc engine with independent vvt. Lack of torque a tune will significantly fix but it'll never have quite the low end grunt of an ls3. Lack of displacement. As for the mt82....everything I see makes it sound like junk but seems to be hit or miss. I went with the 6r80 which seems to be almost bullet proof. I came from camaros and Trans ams myself. I think you'll like the car. I dint regret my decision to get my coyote over a 5rh Gen although a year ago if you would have told me I'd own a Mustang I would have laughed lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I figured cause the ls3 had a nice push on that low end that made city driving so easy. I guess i expected the 5.0 to be the same. And yea i guess ill run it by the technician while under warranty.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Get a good tune and you pick up 60 ft lbs right off the bottom. Night and day.

Your other issue probably explains why that car was sold or traded in. Could be cam tensioner, crank bearings, or ?? Did you hear this tick on test drive? I would have walked on that used car...
Old 11-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It was ford certified. I dont feel any issues with shifting or anything. Just a noise from the rear end, kinda like a whine. Still have warranty so ill just get it checked out i guess

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You're asking why a 5.0 litre engine with double overhead cams doesn't have the same push off the bottom an engine with 1.2 litres more engine displacement does?

Umm, that push off the bottom is about all the Camaro engine has; it gets pretty asthmatic at 6000, whereas the Coyote is singing there.

The stock tune is pretty soft on the Mustang, though, so much that it is really a must do, in my opinion, just for general all round enjoyment. At this point, I'd pick a respected name like Steeda and go that route. No engine failures, ever, on that tune. You could pick Ford's Procal but, you are almost through the warranty period that tune covers. It really perks up the bottom end hard though and I've shoved my loaded car in the 11s on that tune.

A little light whine from a steep geared (3.55 or 3.73) 8.8 is pretty normal stuff. If it's loud, obviously not but, you might see if someone has some aftermarket suspension bits back there that are amplifying noise.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
HI, get the tick looked at and the wine fixed in the gear set. The tick might just be one of those things. Once you got the wine fixed in the gearset and what ever about the engine tick; have the dealer look at the "TrackCal" Ford Racing tune the dealer puts in for you. Wakes up the motor, 60 pounds of low end torque added. I assume you have the manual, as that tune only work on it and it has an old school rump thump idle.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT