NEW MGW RACE SPEC SHIFTER is now available!! - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Install video will be completed within the next week he said. So stay tuned! Will upload it when he posts it.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #72
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Mine gets here Friday. Installing it on the following Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I gotta get this

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
http://youtu.be/jdlpP0LDpkk
2nd video

pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #75
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yep, looks very easy to install this actually. I have a hard time not making ******* comments on the FB page or some forums when ppl say "if I didn't have to drop the crossmember I'd be getting this". If you have a floor jack and basic hand tools and aren't retarded (or some medical condition) you can do this install yourself.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

I was able to get the money together because I sold my Barton, called today........all spoken for 😕 I want one so bad!!!

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #77
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
I was able to get the money together because I sold my Barton, called today........all spoken for 😕 I want one so bad!!!

That sucks man. Mine arrives friday but I won't be able to install until next week at the earliest. I very anxious to see if it fixed some of my issues.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have the gen one, I am glad that they are either going to give you some credit or make a retro fit for the gen one. I did not get the blow fishbracket, was going to, but not sure now if that is the best way to go or this.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #79
Staff
Regular
Staff

This is way better. Completely replaces the wet noodle factory linkage and mounting arm. Its not even close which is better, you can see just by watching the videos. Anyone who missed out on the first batch, call MGW directly and order one out of the next run.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'm curious to hear some more reviews on the new shifter. My Ford Racing shifter hasn't been too bad since I removed the clutch assist spring.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #81
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5.0nc View Post
I'm curious to hear some more reviews on the new shifter. My Ford Racing shifter hasn't been too bad since I removed the clutch assist spring.

Well I had a steed tri ax and steeda bracket, and just compared to my gen 1 mgw there is no comparison. I can only imagine what the new mgw will feel like.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Well I had a steed tri ax and steeda bracket, and just compared to my gen 1 mgw there is no comparison. I can only imagine what the new mgw will feel like.

yeah the Steeda shifter looks like it's barely an improvement over the oem piece

Old 11-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yep, looks very easy to install this actually. I have a hard time not making ******* comments on the FB page or some forums when ppl say "if I didn't have to drop the crossmember I'd be getting this". If you have a floor jack and basic hand tools and aren't retarded (or some medical condition) you can do this install yourself.
Some folks just deserve the stock shifter.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Some folks just deserve the stock shifter.
I don't wish a stock shifter on my worst enemy lol

Old 11-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #85
Road Trip!

For the most part, everything came lee assembled too. This should be a really easy install.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

*pre

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

*pre

Old 11-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #86
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
For the most part, everything came lee assembled too. This should be a really easy install.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

*pre

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

*pre

You pre a lot dude...

Old 11-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #87

Region: Minnesota
I have a list of mods for next spring for my car and one of them includes the install of a Blowfish rear bracket onto my new MGW gen 1 shifter. Now I see this and now I am trying to decide, do I sell the Blowfish bracket and get this new race spec MGW or go on like I originally intended.

From what I can tell the MGW gen 1 with the Blowfish bracket is a pretty good setup as is but I like the improvements that MGW did to the shift rod in the race spec design.
RaceRed2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
These MGW race spec shifters just shipped out. Mine should be here next Thursday. I would wait to see how they work before getting the blowfish bracket.

Deep impact blue 2014.5 GT Premium
3:73,Brembo Brakes
'12 Shelby Exhaust
Trackey
Boss 302 side exhaust w/QTP cut-outs
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed2014 View Post
I have a list of mods for next spring for my car and one of them includes the install of a Blowfish rear bracket onto my new MGW gen 1 shifter. Now I see this and now I am trying to decide, do I sell the Blowfish bracket and get this new race spec MGW or go on like I originally intended.

From what I can tell the MGW gen 1 with the Blowfish bracket is a pretty good setup as is but I like the improvements that MGW did to the shift rod in the race spec design.
Nothing against the blowfish but I read about frequent noise/vibration issues. The bracket is spendy 300 I believe. 487 for the new race spec with 200 dollar trade in on your first gen and you save a few bucks. Not to mention the upgrade of the shift rod and bushings inside the new shifter which would be a weak link in the mgw1/blowfish combo.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #90
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed2014 View Post

Sell or return your Blowfish, it is now obsolete.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
This looks REALLY nice. Was thinking of getting the BF bracket and MGW down the road, but now this tops the list.
Oh man, I hope my wife can return all my other Christmas presents...

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dubbed "Lucinda" by my 5 year old daughter and co-pilot
Itcouldbebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:06 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Nothing against the blowfish but I read about frequent noise/vibration issues. The bracket is spendy 300 I believe. 487 for the new race spec with 200 dollar trade in on your first gen and you save a few bucks. Not to mention the upgrade of the shift rod and bushings inside the new shifter which would be a weak link in the mgw1/blowfish combo.
Most of the Blowfish bracket vibration issues are with the non-MGW shifters because the mount that attaches to the stock style rear snout isn't rubber mounted. The MGW mount is just a spacer that attaches to the rear mount that MGW supplies but just flipped over. People that are having vibration issues with the MGW have it setup wrong and are hitting the studs that the original mount attached to. From what I understand there is a fix coming for both. Rubber mounted for the stock style shifter and a smaller rear rubber mount for the MGW that isn't so big that it interferes with the studs.

Quote:
Sell or return your Blowfish, it is now obsolete.
I wouldn't say it was obsolete but it does look like the MGW race spec shifter may be the way to go. Still collecting data on this though.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

I just still see issues having the rear mounted to the body. When I installed my Blowfish, that disconnects the shifter from the body, you can really feel how much movement you have between the chassis and the body. With my hand on the shifter knob and arm resting on the console ... the two are all over the place on bumpy roads or aggressive cornering- all the fun sh$t you do in your car. If BF can come up with an isolator, and it's doesn't need much, they'll keep the BF rig in my car- as it really does fix this shifter.
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #94
Staff
Regular
Staff

The mgw race spec is fully supported via the trans now as well the rear bracket is for nvh dampening only. Watch the vid.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 11-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty,

I watched the vid... it really doesn't matter "why" it's connected- it's connected. You can't always trust what the hype says. I have a strong feeling it's mounted to the body for lateral stability as well. The shifter extends out a good way from the trans for the trans bolts to be the only attachment point- there would be a lot of "arm" on their shifter without that rear body attachment...
Old 11-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #96
Staff
Regular
Staff

Did you watch the part where they lifted the whole MT82 up just by the shifter? I mean that's not a good idea lol, but w/e. Honestly I'm interested to see the results from people once these get installed on more than just the MGW test car.

Regardless, this shifter is the ONLY one to get since it is the ONLY one that replaces the stock linkage. At least IMO. If one still feels one needs the BF bracket, I think they are coming out with a revised one.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #97

Quote:
Did you watch the part where they lifted the whole MT82 up just by the shifter? I mean that's not a good idea lol, but w/e.
It lifts it because its got a solid shift rod now. Obviously it stiffens things up but it puts a lot of stress on the shift rod bushing. The Blowfish bracket doesn't do that. I bet that's why they still need the rear mount.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppkonablue12 View Post
I just still see issues having the rear mounted to the body. When I installed my Blowfish, that disconnects the shifter from the body, you can really feel how much movement you have between the chassis and the body. With my hand on the shifter knob and arm resting on the console ... the two are all over the place on bumpy roads or aggressive cornering- all the fun sh$t you do in your car. If BF can come up with an isolator, and it's doesn't need much, they'll keep the BF rig in my car- as it really does fix this shifter.
I agree completely. Its the reason I still think about keeping the Blowfish bracket. The shifter should be attached to the transmission it controls. Anything less is asking for trouble. Its kind of like a shaker hood scoop. Its kind of cool to see your shifter torque over.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #99
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ugh, all this is just more reason for me to want to get an automatic lol.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Scott,

It's not the straight up and down ( lifting the trans by the shifter) I'm concerned with. It's the side to side ( cornering hard in your car) where I see the issue. Blowfish handles this well but in doing so there is quite a bit of NVH. I originally purchased the BF bracket because I was getting locked out in hard turns - because of the body movement.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #101
Staff
Regular
Staff

Have you also tried the whiteline bushing insert? I also do wonder if you can use both the BF bracket and this new race shifter. I just can't stomach the stock linkage after seeing this new one as well as what they've done on the GT500 shifter. The GT500 shifter is ridiculous...

Old 11-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I like the linkage as well, would be great to be able to get an aftermarket piece for just that.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #103
Road Trip!

Are any of you guys engineers? If not, I don't think you should be questioning why the mgw is attached to the body. I can tell you that this shifter has cured every issue I've had so far. When I get some harder driving in I'll post a review. The only reason it's mounted to the body is for nvh reasons. The blow fish bracket only addresses half the problem, and adds severe nvh. It's a good piece if your into nvh, but if your not, get the mgw for $189 more.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:48 PM   #104
Staff
Regular
Staff

So you've got it installed? Nice! Please give it some spirited shifting while cornering hard and let us know if you get locked out in the high RPM range. Obviously don't do anything stupid/unsafe.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Any NVH under acceleration in second gear?

Deep impact blue 2014.5 GT Premium
3:73,Brembo Brakes
'12 Shelby Exhaust
Trackey
Boss 302 side exhaust w/QTP cut-outs
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT