Axleback opinions? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have heard the hearththrob in person and lets just say it sounds like thunder. If you can only get an axleback and cant mess with anything else i would get those
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
With the GT500s you have to delete the resonators to really appreciate them. Otherwise they are way too quiet. And they don't have that crazy loud start up like the ROUSH do. Even WITH the resonators deleted. Not that that's bad for everyone. I just know my neighbors would shoot me if I had the ROUSH and fired it up for work every morning at 4:30. But then again, cold start up in public during the day you'd be feeling like a badass...

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Are they going to sound raspy with a tin can/sharp metallic at WOT? I'm not too sure about coyote engines, but I removed resonators on my 3.7 and they sounded like crap each time I goosed her.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Are they going to sound raspy with a tin can/sharp metallic at WOT? I'm not too sure about coyote engines, but I removed resonators on my 3.7 and they sounded like crap each time I goosed her.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Need resonators on a v6 for sure

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Need resonators on a v6 for sure

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Yep learned it after spending 120 bucks to get back to square 1

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Personally if I had a 6 banger I wouldn't spend a dime on the exhaust. Cus to me no matter how many thousands you spend on exhaust you're never going to get badass V8 sound out of a 6. That's just me. But to each his own.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Personally if I had a 6 banger I wouldn't spend a dime on the exhaust. Cus to me no matter how many thousands you spend on exhaust you're never going to get badass V8 sound out of a 6. That's just me. But to each his own.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete

The 3.7 can sound really nice, and I personally love the Roush on mine, until I hear a 5.0 or gt500 roll by me, then I get sad till I can't exactly remember the sound of those cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not at all saying that it's a bad sound that they make. And yes they CAN sound good. Its just not the 5.0.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Extra bit of wisdom: online sound clips are never a really accurate tone.
Yeah, the compression used on videos, cuts off some of the lowest frequencies. Also, most people aren't playing the clips over a large speaker system with adequate bass (woofers) to replicate the sound.

That said... IF your computer is hooked up to a nice surround speaker system with WOOFERS, you can get a decent idea by playing all of the different clips on the same system. At least its apples to apples. So you can get an idea of how it sounds vs. the other ones... but it doesn't give you anywhere near the experience of it in person.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Yeah, the compression used on videos, cuts off some of the lowest frequencies. Also, most people aren't playing the clips over a large speaker system with adequate bass (woofers) to replicate the sound.

That said... IF your computer is hooked up to a nice surround speaker system with WOOFERS, you can get a decent idea by playing all of the different clips on the same system. At least its apples to apples. So you can get an idea of how it sounds vs. the other ones... but it doesn't give you anywhere near the experience of it in person.
You're absolutely right, however if it's an HD video and you have good quality headphones, you can get a pretty good idea of how xyz axle back would sound on your car.

For example: http://youtu.be/0jfeS91XiQU

I haven't heard s types in person, but according to this video I personally think they're purdy loud and sound harsh. For those who have s types, does it sound similar (as in this video) on your car too?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm gonna upload 14 v6 with s type and an 11 v8 with roush later tonight. Maybe that'll give you an idea. Based on the replays I've heard of my clips, they sound reasonably close to in person. Hopefully youtube won't mess up the encoding process.

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Here's my friend's 2011 GT with Roush (he's signing up shortly! directed him to this forum)

The quality is actually pretty realistic as long as you're not using $2 earphones from walmart.

and my 2014 v6 with Borla

Old 11-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
^^^Nice work on the videos sound was accurate!
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
You're absolutely right, however if it's an HD video and you have good quality headphones, you can get a pretty good idea of how xyz axle back would sound on your car.

For example: http://youtu.be/0jfeS91XiQU

I haven't heard s types in person, but according to this video I personally think they're purdy loud and sound harsh. For those who have s types, does it sound similar (as in this video) on your car too?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
The S types in person sound just like that. Only in person they are much louder. I had them on my 14GT. As far as volume the s types were perfect for me. But for me they sounded like garbage until I was at wot. And at wot they were incredible. The problem though was that I'm only at wot like 1% of the time. They're just loud. If you want your car to sound like NASCAR than the s types or ROUSH are the way to go. if you want your car to have a deep muscle car sound than the s types and ROUSH are far from that. So I sold those and bought the GT500 axlebacks and deleted the resonators. And they sound so much deeper and so much better to me at all rpms. And they're half the price of the s types.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Old 11-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The S types in person sound just like that. Only in person they are much louder. I had them on my 14GT. As far as volume the s types were perfect for me. But for me they sounded like garbage until I was at wot. And at wot they were incredible. The problem though was that I'm only at wot like 1% of the time. They're just loud. If you want your car to sound like NASCAR than the s types or ROUSH are the way to go. if you want your car to have a deep muscle car sound than the s types and ROUSH are far from that. So I sold those and bought the GT500 axlebacks and deleted the resonators. And they sound so much deeper and so much better to me at all rpms. And they're half the price of the s types.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Thanks bro! I have both gt500 (curently on my v6) and s type mufflers that I havent installed. Looks like they're going back on sale once I find a GT lol.

Question for you: since you have gt500 mufflers on your GT without resonators, do they rasp with a sharp metallic sound when you go wot, and give out loud crackling pop when you let go off gas? I tried em without resonators on 3.7 and that's what they sounded like! No wonder i had to put my resonators back on

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Also, just throwing my opinion out there but you should also consider the Flowmaster Outlaws. They sound great with a cold start and in idle, they are terrifying whenever you're in low rpm's and after having them on awhile and they are broken in they are perfect. There is some drone at 2k rpm for the first month or two after they are installed but that dissolves. They aren't too loud in my opinion they sound like a ferocious beast. The Roush sounds good though.
Extra bit of wisdom: online sound clips are never a really accurate tone.[/QUOTE]

yeh u are so right i heard the sound clips from am and they all sound like ***** thats y i trust you guys to let me know the facts and how you all feel about the different brands they sound real quite on a.m lol
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:29 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

They don't call them drone masters for no reason ya know. The outlaws have decent sound to them but that drone makes me wanna pull my fu(king hair out. I couldn't handle it. I have the backseat in my car down as we speak so that when I drive I can hear my exhaust better. And on top of that I have yet to turn my radio on. Every minute of me driving I have the Windows down just listening to the exhaust. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my exhaust. The 5.0 with the GT500S and the resonators deleted have some pop on decel. But it's not bad at all. Not even for me. And there is ZERO rasp or drone with my set up. And there's no sharp metallic sound at any rpm. That sounds like it would be awful. I've heard the 3.7s with that set up and it sounds terrible in my opinion. I've heard that the 5.0s with that set up do get rasp if you add an off-road x pipe though. But that's just a what I've heard. I can neither confirm nor deny that for myself though Cus I have yet to hear it for myself. I'd definitely sell the s types though. Waste of money in my opinion.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
GT500 with the resonators deleted is awesome. ROUSH is great too and if you wanna keep your resonators then it's the way to go. Don't waste your money on Borla or the other high dollar axlebacks. Resonator deleted GT500s or the Roush are where it's at.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
One does not simply waste money on Borla products. Their sound, looks, fit, and finish is just top notch. But I understand not everyone cares for that.

The GT500's are a nice setup. OP you get what you pay for. Sound is the primary factor here and its not hard to achieve, but fixing bad fitment or unpleasant tones (drone) on top of the cost of the axle-backs sucks a whole lot more than just dropping your whole check on a more expensive axle-back.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to burst your bubble 2stangz but Borla is NOT a superior product. There was a guy on another forum that I was reading a couple months ago that used to work for Borla and he was going on and on about how terrible the quality is and that some of the exhausts borla sells actually gave some cars less hp than they had with the factory exhausts and they knew about it and didn't care. And that they lie about what grade stainless steel they use and how they have serious problems with their exhausts rusting out on people after a short period of time. You don't get anywhere close to what you pay for with Borla. Just because it's a lot more expensive does not mean it's a better product. And for the record the sound, looks, and fit of my GT500s far exceed the s types I had. The finish of the s types was slightly better but nothing to brag about that's for damn sure. And speaking of ****** fitment issues. I actually had bad fitment with my s types. Those big goofy pipes stuck out a solid 3 inches past my bumper. I took it to an exhaust shop to see if they could get it to fit better. They tried everything they could think of. They even loosened Damn near the entire exhaust system to see if they could get it to fit better and they couldn't. So I took it to another exhaust shop and they did the same Damn thing with the same Damn results. So here I have this stupid expensive axleback on my car that doesn't sound good unless I'm at wot. And the fitment of it sucks. After two weeks I sold that expensive **** quality exhaust for the setup I have now. Its half the price even with the extra 100 I spent getting my resonators removed. It looks better, sounds waaaaay better, fits a hell of a lot better. So like I said before, you can WASTE your money on Borla or you can buy a better product for half the price. Your call.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Old 11-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

It's not a waste if the purchaser thinks it is worth it.

Also, what is the credibility of this ONE individual who "worked" for Borla?

I know too many people on the Internet that receive the unlucky bad apple of the bunch and claim to work somewhere to add weight to their dissatisfaction/claims.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #55
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
In Borlas credit, they did fix the fitment issue by releasing a 13-14 version and if you bought a 11-12 version for your 13-14, Borla sent you a free 13-14 exhaust and didn't even ask for the other one back. I ended up getting a better fitting exhaust for free from them and sold the old one for $400. That's damn good customer service, and the quality is just as good as any other exhaust in my opinion.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #56
Road Trip!

But the fitment issue pissed me off. Those tips looked awful on the 13-14 cars before the fixed it.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I was asked for MY opinion. I gave it.
That does sound like excellent customer service. So if that's true I will give them that. And I guess it wasn't fair of me to say **** quality. The quality wasn't bad. As good as any I've used. In MY opinion it was the fitment and sound I wasn't thrilled with. So if they did fix that fitment issue that's awesome. That was the big one for me. With that being said and if all the other issues got fixed I am still much happier with the sound of my current set up than I ever was with the s types.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Old 11-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
i have a pair of roush axle backs for sale for anyone who is interested.
sadler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #59
Road Trip!

I have a Roush for sale for $200 check the sale section.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Axleback opinions?

That's a good deal^^ someone will be crazy to pass that up man.
If I didn't already have borla ataks I would snatch them up bro.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadler88 View Post
i have a pair of roush axle backs for sale for anyone who is interested.
who selling roush and how much he said 200 and how much are yours and whats you guys location and are you willing to ship
Old 11-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Mikeyt is selling them for 200

Old 11-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #63
Road Trip!

They would be shipping from Richmond va. 6k miles , ceramic coated black tips. Shipping would be around 40-50 dollars I'm assuming depending on where you are. I've gotta get rid of these fast, because I'm going back to miami soon.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #64
Road Trip!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417387310.385848.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	853.3 KB
ID:	170557

Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like a good deal leme just i live in the tip of south tx
Old 11-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Bassani axle backs and remove the sound tube. They sound freakin awesome!
speedbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Man I'm not that far from u Mikey I'm n wv

Old 11-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Mikey, you got anything else for sale before going to miami? I'm in Richmond.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #69
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Mikey, you got anything else for sale before going to miami? I'm in Richmond.

I don't. I sold my boss LS rims and my steeda tri ax already. The Roush, stock gt grill and dogs are all I have left.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

*fogs

Old 11-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

cant sell the dogs lol jk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust