drivability of ghost cam tune? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona stang707 View Post
I have the Lund ghost cam on my 2011 5.0 and it is a tiny bit harder to drive but very easy to get used to and it does effect gas mileage it dropped from averaging almost 19 to about 16.5 maybe it's just my lead foot since I got tune also.
I've seen others say that their MPG dropped 2-3 MPG with "Lopey Idle", so your drop of 2.5 MPG seems right in line.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, at least the gas prices are down.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kona stang707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Lopey idle will drop your mpg because of the idle. It pushes more fuel in at idle. But driving your mpg should be same.

Sent from my XT1045 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
FYI, unlike the other Lope Tunes, the Ford Racing TrackKey increased my MPG on my 2013 GT. It does not dump gas at idle as its 50 state CARB legal. Ford I think has Intellectual Property rights on how they do that, so the others do it the old fashioned way.

I had a MPT cam tune on my V6 and yes that reduced MPG just abit.
Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Have not had a chance to drive it yet, but love the sound. I notice my tuner leans out the mixture to 15-16 on a/f at idle to help with the extra fuel. Well worth the 100 bucks imo.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
FYI, unlike the other Lope Tunes, the Ford Racing TrackKey increased my MPG on my 2013 GT. It does not dump gas at idle as its 50 state CARB legal. Ford I think has Intellectual Property rights on how they do that, so the others do it the old fashioned way.

Art
Yeah ford may have the proprietary knowlegde + fancy computer simulations so they can do something where they time the detonations to have a natural frequency / wave building effect to rumble the car a little bit. Where others may just be dumping a bunch of fuel in and having an off balance timing to shake the car a bit.

Regardless, to me its a little too much for full time use. I'd only do it if it was like the Ford TrackCal/Track Key where I could easily disable it with out having to reflash a whole tune. I like how with the FordTrack Cal/Key, you just hold down a button on the steering wheel while starting if you want to disable Lopey Idle.

I WISH they'd have made the TrackKey for Autos!

Too bad my wife won't learn to drive stick, I'd have just gotten a manual and then I wouldn't have this problem of no TrackKey!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I ran that tune lund made-up never had any issues in over a year, then I got rid of the car. The tuners will tell you not to use it all the time and don't data chase any issues. .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The spark plug delete tune is better.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. ..

Old 02-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
The spark plug delete tune is better.
YOLO?!?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:

Art
Art, do you have the TrackCal or the Track key? My car qualifies for the Track Key but after talking with FRPP tech, he told me I can do more things with the Track Cal because it comes with the Procal tuner, where as the Track Key is installed by the dealer and any changes or upgrades will have to go back to dealer and pay. The FRPP told me if Ford installs my TRack Cal then after that I can do anything I want with the tune, remove it and add it again and even make changes for tires size etc,,,
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
Art, do you have the TrackCal or the Track key? My car qualifies for the Track Key but after talking with FRPP tech, he told me I can do more things with the Track Cal because it comes with the Procal tuner, where as the Track Key is installed by the dealer and any changes or upgrades will have to go back to dealer and pay. The FRPP told me if Ford installs my TRack Cal then after that I can do anything I want with the tune, remove it and add it again and even make changes for tires size etc,,,
I have the tune that uses the TrackCal tune in a procal tuner as I have a 2013. Yes I do have the tune file, and can reflash it if I needed to, adjust tire size and gear sizes, and adjust Auto octane learning on or off; a good idea if your stuck with 91 instead of 93. It also has a bunch of Ford diagnostics I need to learn how to use this spring. I think you can use it to do things like re-learn the crank sensor timing and other things like that.

Ford trys to get you to send the procal tuner back for $75, as they send you "refurbished" units from others sending them back.

Art
Old 02-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the tune that uses the TrackCal tune in a procal tuner as I have a 2013. Yes I do have the tune file, and can reflash it if I needed to, adjust tire size and gear sizes, and adjust Auto octane learning on or off; a good idea if your stuck with 91 instead of 93. It also has a bunch of Ford diagnostics I need to learn how to use this spring. I think you can use it to do things like re-learn the crank sensor timing and other things like that.

Ford trys to get you to send the procal tuner back for $75, as they send you "refurbished" units from others sending them back.

Art
Ahh ok thanks, yes I was sure you have the TrackCal because he TrackKey is only for 2014.5 made after 7/1/13....anyway, im thinking seriously about getting the TrackCal because of the things we discussed, I think its a better deal.

Is the 16hp they advertise at the crank or whp? In your opinion do you feel the TrackCal is worth it over say a bama or lund? Can you really feel some power increase? I do like the 2step and lopey idle..
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I got out today to drive my new cam tune with an auto transmission. Man, Matt has this dialed in very well. No stalling and sounds like a beast. It's a 93 octane performance tune. I will get it logged soon. fyi

I'm happier than a skunk eating s hit out of broken beer bottle.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Any sound clips.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
Ahh ok thanks, yes I was sure you have the TrackCal because he TrackKey is only for 2014.5 made after 7/1/13....anyway, im thinking seriously about getting the TrackCal because of the things we discussed, I think its a better deal.

Is the 16hp they advertise at the crank or whp? In your opinion do you feel the TrackCal is worth it over say a bama or lund? Can you really feel some power increase? I do like the 2step and lopey idle..
I had a Bama tune in my V6 and switched to an MPT tune night and day. I feel like the Ford Racing tune wakes the car up like the MPT tune did my V6 3.7 cyclone before it. I dont care about the extra 16 at the crank added, I like that the HPR and Torque curve is brought in DOWN LOW in the RPM curve.

If they sold the car stock like this, kids would be wraping the car sideways into telephone poles , ha ha !

For the street the down low is where you want the curve brought up, peak is for racing trap speeds. In any event a Lund tune is going to produce the most power, but I like that my dealer keeps my car under warranty with the Ford Racing tune. I have the 7 year 100k extended and unless a issue is proven by tune to cause the issue, ford will keep the warranty for that period.

If I didnt care about that I would put on a TVS twin screw blower right now

Art (Last new car I could buy before I die
Old 02-28-2015, 01:31 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had a Bama tune in my V6 and switched to an MPT tune night and day. I feel like the Ford Racing tune wakes the car up like the MPT tune did my V6 3.7 cyclone before it. I dont care about the extra 16 at the crank added, I like that the HPR and Torque curve is brought in DOWN LOW in the RPM curve.

If they sold the car stock like this, kids would be wraping the car sideways into telephone poles , ha ha !

For the street the down low is where you want the curve brought up, peak is for racing trap speeds. In any event a Lund tune is going to produce the most power, but I like that my dealer keeps my car under warranty with the Ford Racing tune. I have the 7 year 100k extended and unless a issue is proven by tune to cause the issue, ford will keep the warranty for that period.

If I didnt care about that I would put on a TVS twin screw blower right now

Art (Last new car I could buy before I die
Thanks Art. Think im gonna do the trackcal instead of the trackkey,,
Old 03-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I ordered the Ghost Cam tune from MPT today. I'm really looking forward to it. I have the M6 2014 GT CS with the boss 302 exhaust and roush axle backs. Wonder how it's gonna sound.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

I hope you have better luck then me, I just had boss 302 manifold and lethal off road xpipe and tunes and car has all kinds of codes and is not drivable. The cammed tune is not to bad but the 93 tune is un drivable

Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Was it from MPT? and was it the Ghost Cam 93 stage 3?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Not them.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I hope you have better luck then me, I just had boss 302 manifold and lethal off road xpipe and tunes and car has all kinds of codes and is not drivable. The cammed tune is not to bad but the 93 tune is un drivable
What are the codes Chop?

I spoke to Ray today and he said he heard your car on Saturday and it sounded good.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

He Scott, normal 93 tune P0100 ,P2195, P2197 on cammed tune P0507.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Sounds like you got the wrong tune file for the MAF.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to the tune guys and they said they had sent me the same tune that people are using with same mods and they have no issues .I going to have to do data log and send it then he could see what's happening.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Well I got the tune. Sounds amazing with roush axle backs and 302 side exhaust. Only downside is you have to give it more gas to get it going and it's a little shaky sometimes. BTW I got the tube from MPT. I still have the my cats is this gonna be a big issue? Is the tune bad for the engine? I love the sound

Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

The better tuners recommend highly no cats...
Old 03-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto.olmedo View Post
Well I got the tune. Sounds amazing with roush axle backs and 302 side exhaust. Only downside is you have to give it more gas to get it going and it's a little shaky sometimes. BTW I got the tube from MPT. I still have the my cats is this gonna be a big issue? Is the tune bad for the engine? I love the sound
When I had my MPT tune in my V6, they mentioned in the instructions that a CATS safety was built in and if they got too hot the Lope Quits.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

So after using the Ghost Cam Tune further i ran into a few issues that concerned me. The tune it self sounds awesome but i noticed that the car ran a lot hotter when idling at a stop light or just idling in general. I checked the cylinder head gauge,normally it runs around 201-206 with my bama 93 tune. With the Ghost Cam Tune it would stay in the 202-206 range once i was driving but at idle it would keep climbing from 201-230. 230 was the hottest it got. In addition the Intake temperature as well at idle would increase drastically as it normally stay a few degrees higher than the outside temperature when running the bama tune. It would go up to 130 and only lower once i started driving. Any inputs?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Whos Ghostcam tune are you running? OK previous post I didnt see on andriod says MPT, perhapes they can adjust it for you.

Fords does about 213-216 head temp. I run stock airbox and underhood temp desnt climb at idle like it did on my past V6 that had an aftermarket CAI on it. Only climbs a few degress instead of 20 degrees on hot days.

Edit: but I am in the north midwest, you must be in a hot zone if you have hot days already
Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Whos Ghostcam tune are you running? OK previous post I didnt see on andriod says MPT, perhapes they can adjust it for you.

Fords does about 213-216 head temp. I run stock airbox and underhood temp desnt climb at idle like it did on my past V6 that had an aftermarket CAI on it. Only climbs a few degress instead of 20 degrees on hot days.

Edit: but I am in the north midwest, you must be in a hot zone if you have hot days already

I am running the MPT 93 Ghost Cam tune. That's the odd part. I live in the DC area. Temperature was around 45. I'm running jlt CAI.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

What stage of the cam? 1,2, or 3? You might try having them drop the stage down for you. I did that with my MPT tune on the V6 so I could keep it running at a light with the automatic tranny
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

I have the stage three for M6. I will shoot them an email. Man I do love the sound of the tune. Right now I'm only running it at car meets which so far has only been one lol.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, 3 stage is not really drive-able, they point out it sometimes might not be. They will create a lower stage for you if you ask in the 6 month time window. I was not able to keep the engine running correctly at a light on stage 2 in an auto without toss it in neutral at the light. They trimmed it up for me and it still had an nice pulsating exhaust note even for a 6 gun
Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post

Too bad my wife won't learn to drive stick, I'd have just gotten a manual and then I wouldn't have this problem of no TrackKey!
haha, sounds familiar.

Although I did kinda want a auto this time around since I daily it in Houston traffic.
SK GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT