Trans Trouble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Trans Trouble

Hello, I have had my 14 GT for a few months now. If I try to shift into 2nd after a cold start, it almost feels like it grinds. Yet, as soon as I have driven it for 10 minutes, everything is fine. I think I am going to take it in into my dealer. I find it strange that only 2nd gear does this when cold, but everything works fine once it has warmed up. Any ideas?
5pointO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Depending on how cold it is where you live, it may not be all that unusual. syncros in the transmission have to match the gears and when the oil is cold it may not sync right up. My car shifts hard in the winter just have to be patient.

If the syncro was warn it would not improve with the car warming up. you can try going to a thinner trans oil for the winter like Redline MTL. Red line makes 3 different wt transmission oils for syncro transmissions MTL (70 wt) MT 85 (85) an MT 90 (90) wt oil. I run MT 85 in my race car but would run MTL in my street car if i drove it in the winter.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

Region: Tennessee
My 14 does same thing. Thought it was probably normal. Glad to hear I was likely correct. Just annoying but not a big deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
absherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
My 14 automatic clunks when coming to a stop when shifting from 2nd to first.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Mine gets worse the colder it gets. What works in the morning for me is a double clutch into 2nd. I have a new mgw race spec shifter on the way on monday. I will post up if that cures it. Really not much different than the 4 speed in my 67 El Camino when it's cold. A manual transmission is like a relationship you learn to work with it instead of forcing it or you're gonna have problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well its good to know I'm not the only one. It just concerns me a bit. It's not extremely cold, as it's around 50 degrees right now. It's just odd that it's only 2nd gear that does this when cold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have read about success with a fluid change, but I am a little reluctant to do so while under warranty. I was curious if the rubber bracket Ford uses could contribute to the problem and if maybe a new bracket or shifter would help. Definately post up how you like your mgw shifter! Thanks for the responses everyone!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Skip second gear while the oil is cold, go from first to third gear until the tranny warms. Or, start in second gear. Manuals like to have a little warmth in the oil...
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Been a big issue for the mt82. Take it to the dealer. There is a friction modifier x18 or something like that it should be in our transmission. There is a big thread on the shifting do a search. Mine does it at 50 too. Really you just need to give the shift a bit more time that's where the double clutching eliminates the grind til it warms a bit.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

All the high performance cars I have owned over the years have had a quirk in the manual gearbox. This one just seems to be a couple. The mgw should help out a ton.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think Ford calls for the XL18 anymore. A lot of the threads have discussed cold shifting but just didn't talk about 2nd gear specifically. I suppose just double clutching or skipping second is the way to go until the transmission is warm.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads245 View Post
I don't think Ford calls for the XL18 anymore. A lot of the threads have discussed cold shifting but just didn't talk about 2nd gear specifically. I suppose just double clutching or skipping second is the way to go until the transmission is warm.

Good info thanks

Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Still maybe take it to the dealer so your problem is documented in case of issues down the road

Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I think that's a good idea just as a precaution.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
My transmission is knochy 2nd to 3rd gear when cold. I also skip 3rd until my car is at normal running temperature. Then it shifts fine. My only upgrade is the energy shifter bushing.

pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #16
Road Trip!

I have the same issue. It's normal. I'm hoping the race spec fixes it. If not, I'll try redline MTL and ss clutch cable.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #17

Good info. I appreciate the responses. Seems like it may just be a quirk that we have to deal with. Its not a big deal, just wanted to make sure there is not something wrong.
5pointO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

mine does it too, it's done it since I bought it in 2011, it's gotten progressively worse and it now pops outta second occasionally. I take mine in to be looked at this Wednesday. I recommend you do the same

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 11-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Yeah if it's popping out, it's most something different. I just get a nice slightly crunchy this sound that goes away after about 3 miles.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Damn auto correct is killing me on this new phone.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Yeah if it's popping out, it's most something different. I just get a nice slightly crunchy this sound that goes away after about 3 miles.

well, in my case it only occasionally pops out of second the first or second time shifting into second gear after a cold start, after the first few miles, all is good. I have a feeling they'll tell me they're "not able to duplicate the issue" or w/e they say

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 11-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Mines making some weird sounds. But I'm auto. Whenever it shifts to second and first it clunks real loud like there's slack somewhere or something popping kind of. Could my u joint be going out? Or something else u think. Also noticed my idle fluctuates with the whine in hearing from my transmission. I wonder if I have a vacuum leak or something or is that even related?

Old 11-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
Mines making some weird sounds. But I'm auto. Whenever it shifts to second and first it clunks real loud like there's slack somewhere or something popping kind of. Could my u joint be going out? Or something else u think. Also noticed my idle fluctuates with the whine in hearing from my transmission. I wonder if I have a vacuum leak or something or is that even related?

I had a auto 13 and the Trans was rock solid. Never had any noise. I would get it looked at. Is it only when it's cold? My old auto only saw warm weather so that might be why I didn't have noise.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

All the time. U do have all different lcas and uca and lowering springs.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I do**

Old 11-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #26
Road Trip!

You might just be hearing drive train lash more with your suspension stuff. Especially if you have a uca.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

A one piece drive shaft will kill most of that.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like lash. Clunks when i shift gears too like from park to drive to reverse

Old 11-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #28
Road Trip!

When I got a one piece ds, it all went away.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I may do that. Is it just a replacement. Or would I need to adjust my uca again.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #30
Road Trip!

If u get a drive shaft shop one you won't if your not slammed. With the mevo discount at AM and their Black Friday sale, it comes out to $700. There roush stage 1 s/c comes out to 5200 after the mevo discount as well. That's a pretty good deal.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #31
MGW

Region: Georgia
You know ford would really save themselves a lot of headaches if they would just inform the public more on proper operating procedures...we get this question soooooo often...the trans fluid is thick in the mt-82 because it needs to protect the smaller more fragile internals...but the trade off is that when cold it's like maple syrup in your case. It will cause the gears to nibble and if pushed too hard even grind...you guys need to understand that even though cars have come a long way they still need the same care as always...shift slowly or skip second just for a few miles and all is good...once the fluid warms up it will shift fine.. There is nothing wrong with your trans...it's just a characteristic ..yes a flaw but not broken or anything.

George
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going with the vortech kit. Little better than the roush I think plus it won't heat soak. Imma check into the ds tho

Old 11-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGW View Post
You know ford would really save themselves a lot of headaches if they would just inform the public more on proper operating procedures...we get this question soooooo often...the trans fluid is thick in the mt-82 because it needs to protect the smaller more fragile internals...but the trade off is that when cold it's like maple syrup in your case. It will cause the gears to nibble and if pushed too hard even grind...you guys need to understand that even though cars have come a long way they still need the same care as always...shift slowly or skip second just for a few miles and all is good...once the fluid warms up it will shift fine.. There is nothing wrong with your trans...it's just a characteristic ..yes a flaw but not broken or anything.

George
Thanks George! Can't wait to get my new race spec on Monday. Thanks for the video looks like a super easy install.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Glad to hear this!! I was worried my dad screwed my tranny up when I let him drive it without me. I've started pulling out in first and then just coasting down the hill in the morning. The shift to second is super rough. Thanks guys

BlackFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Two things conspire here typically: The cold metal and oil, which you can deal with by slowing down the shifting a little bit until things get happy. In the cold, I pull the shifter til I feel the synchro engage and hold it there just a fraction of a second and it slides right into gear.

Second is the remote shifter on the MT82. this makes the problem a lot worse on cold days but, is a problem all the time. I recommend a shifter bracket at the very least, like this one from Steeda:

Steeda Mustang Shifter Base Bushing 555-7090 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

A lobotimised monkey could install this and the improvement is significant.

I have changed the shft Thumb for a nice billet knob, added the shifter bracket and the Whiteline bushing support and I think this is about as good as the stock shifter can get. I do race the car; it's got over 100 passes on it, no shifts missed unless I did it myself.

....and the trans fluid since middle '12 isn't thick in the MT82. They've been using QDC and that stuff isn't heavyweight at all. the original spec of QS for the 11-12 cars was pretty gummy on cold days. QDC has a kinematic viscosity at 100* of about 6.1 (about the same as Dexron 5 auto trans fluid) and QS is 10+.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT