CDC Hood Shaker System Install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
CDC Hood Shaker System Install

I have been looking at hood options for a while on my 14 GT. I liked the Cervini options but price point painted seemed a little steep. I also had concerns with track use, long term quality, and fitment.

I have always loved Fords iconic shaker hood scoop. Looking at the cdc system was an option too. I just couldn't justify it at over 700 bucks for a mostly appearance. I have been looking at pictures and reading reviews over the last year and finally decided what the hell...it's only money...and a big arse hole in my hood. I started shopping around for one and was able to find one cheap at Blue Oval. Never ordered from them before so decided to check their history...this was a problem for me. Great price but I could run into problems. Decided to call Summit and they priced matched for 525 shipped and I had it in 2 days. Summit really one of the tops in customer service for me.

I opened the box and my first impression was quality piece of work and solid directions. I must have got an older production run because directions and hood template were for a 2011-12. Yikes! Tried to call CDC but they were closed the day before Thanksgiving and not open til this Monday...bummer! I jumped on their website and found the directions for 2013-14 and downloaded ah saved I thought. They were the same directions I had for the 11-12. My problem was they showed all the measurements to be made on the 11-12 hood. I would really like to see the measurements on the 13-14 hood and there is no mention that the overall dimensions are the same. After a couple of hours of research on hoods part# cross reference I came to the conclusion that I would give it a shot. I'm not good at waiting and my time is limited and this holiday was my window.

The layout is pretty straight forward. I think the longest part of the install was measuring. I used a fabric style tape measure and must have re-measured at least a dozen times. I had that voice in my head saying don't F this up. The wife said what's the worst case scenario? I said I will end up with a Cervini hood! So, measure 12 times cut once and fight of the thought of not knowing if using the 11-12 hood measurements will work. Who said installing a hood scoop cant be exciting.

Layout

Point of no return when you cut the template out with xacto knife scoring the paint

Get out the jigsaw I used a 18tpi metal blade

At this point I still was not sure if the hole was in the right place for the 13-14 so I put the scoop in to check. Oh please fit..

Finished look

I'm very happy with the engineering that went in to the piece. I can see why the price tag is what it is. Super solid, everything fit well and it looks better and bigger in person. The directions need a little update would be my only gripe. Jay
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I love the look. Won't do a Damn thing for performance other helping pull in some cold air for the engine compartment but it sure does look badass. You sir have a lot more balls than I do. I don't have the testicles that it would take for me to purposely cut a big *** hole in my hood...

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
I love the look. Won't do a Damn thing for performance other helping pull in some cold air for the engine compartment but it sure does look badass. You sir have a lot more balls than I do. I don't have the testicles that it would take for me to purposely cut a big *** hole in my hood...

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Thanks Woody, Definitely an appearance mod. I does make me feel better that it functions. Just before the xacto touched the paint to cut the template was one of those moments. It was like the first time I jumped out of an airplane, same thought, then you just do it. Although you can just buy a new hood if S**T goes sideways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Great job, looks amazing with the black paint! I bought one a few months ago but didn't think it would compliment my white stripes so I sold it. Mostly because I want to add a SC and didn't want to deal with a big hole in the hood.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wow that looks amazing!
BigCiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
it does look bad @ss good job
insidious_ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

I was concerned with putting a supercharger on as well. In research over at Beefcake racing the paxon/vortech full kits look to use the stock airbox so it should still work as is. Worst case I would pull apart the shaker scoop flip the air supply tube to the passenger side add a filter in the scoop body and run it down to the intercooler and back to the SC intake. A little fab work should be fun when I get there!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Dude. I'm impressed. You coming to Houston any time soon? I need someone to come do that to my car.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Old 11-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

And nothing against your car at all but I was just looking at some Google images and the 11 and 12s look so much better with that shaker scoop cus they have that baby cowl on the hood that our 14s don't have. They look like they were built for that scoop.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
Old 11-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Looks great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
Dude. I'm impressed. You coming to Houston any time soon? I need someone to come do that to my car.

2014 5.0
6-speed
GT500 a/b
w/ res. delete
No problem would love to do it! Heck it would be done in about 2 hours tops. I could talk you through it on the phone. Not a hard install at all.

I love this scoop on all the s197's. Very retro muscle. After Ford's last departure from great looking mustangs guess we have another 20 years until they get it right again. Not saying the 15 completely sucks I'm just an old school muscle kind of guy.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Thanks for this detail and the blue oval tip !
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Your welcome glad it helped. Have fun any questions pm me and I'll give you my phone number some little tips that will make stuff easier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Turned out great!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT