clutch smell :( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #1

Region: Florida
clutch smell :(

Hey guys, 2014 mustang gt 6spd (stock)
I have tried looking but i cant find a similar answer. When i get on my car, and i go to switch gears (manual) i get a rough clutch odor. i know its from the clutch gripping back to the flywheel, but it does it everytime. just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. i can shift and rpm match and its fine, but when race i dont want to wait 2 secs for my rpms to drop 600rpms. any ideas?
SgtSyphillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Maybe a couple of questions are in order first; how many miles are on the car and are you the original owner, have you had clutch transmissions before (just trying to ascertain more information, not trying to be smart), how do you know it's a clutch smell, what do you mean by "rough clutch odor", I assume you mean burning clutch smell.
Maybe you can describe how you shift normally and how you shift when you are "racing", are you actually racing (drag/track) or just driving hard on the street?
If you are pretty familiar with a clutch and you tell me it's slipping (put the emergency brake on, start the car in 2nd gear and let the clutch out slowly) does it slip or will it kill the motor instantly?
I've got a 2014 GT/TrackPak 6spd and have noticed no clutch smell after driving it hard..............but the factory shifter is garbage and it will be one of the next things that gets replaced.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response.
7k miles, i bought it new, im the only owner
Yes i have had a 2004 mach1 mustang 6spd(523Hp) and a 2012 Chevy Cruze 6spd
Yes burning clutch smell.

so normal shifting
starting from stop, i will let the clutch go till the friction point, then add gas, and let go of clutch. i dont ride the clutch, in fact i find it disappointing when i see rice burners and mustangs rev to like 2k rpms to start, thats just not the way you are suppose to drive a stick. then i will normally shift at 2k rpms, let gas go, push clutch, and shiftm then wait like 1.5 secs and release clutch. it usually syncs up pretty well. its actually really smooth. i get compliments all the time.

when "racing" same thing execpt 6800rpm and i dont wait to rpm match before letting clutch out. and its just street racing

i tried the 2nd gear thing, and it kills the motor very quicky. well it will do a steady rpm drop till about 300rpm, then die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Ok, sounds like you are doing fine, but if the smell continues I'd take it back to the dealer and have a tech go for a ride-a-long. I have never been crazy about the s197 cable clutch, and in my 97 Cobra I actually put in a KennyBell adjustable cable and quadrant.
Do you get any vibration at hight rpm's before, after, or during shifting gears?
Can you put the car in the driveway, start the car and leave it in neutral, have someone sit in the car and depress the clutch several times while you are laying on the ground listening under the car for any strange noises? Just a thought.
Do you have the stock 3.23 gears or 3.73's?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

i took it to the dealer already and they said they cant find an issue, he said he even took it for a test drive. and stock gear ratio, whatever that might be.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Well, if you've taken it to the dealer, and it's not slipping or making weird noises I'm out of ideas. Although my 14 only has 4000 miles I haven't noticed any smell. Did this smell just start or has it been since new?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

since ive had it. i raced a white 5.0 gt/cs and he beat me however i did enjoy it. and his car has the same smell when we slowed down.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

One thing I've noticed about mine, is that when I drive for awhile or drive it hard, I can smell the cat's, they don't smell the usual rotten egg smell, but I can smell them when I put it in the garage.
I've only raced a Challanger RT..........off the line in my car, which is a TrakPak (has 3.73 gears and I can be in 4th at 2000rpm doing 35mph) is that 1st and 2nd gear are somewhat useless because of tire spin (I have an Airaid air intake and SCT tunner) the Challanger got me off the line but I caught him at the top of 4th gear and then he let off. The Mustang pulls really strong from 4000rpm past redline though. I can't wait to relocate the lower control arms which should give be me better traction in 1st and 2nd...........we'll wait and see.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Its not the clutch. I had the same smell until I removed the cats.

Although I did have some clutch smell for the first couple hundred miles when it was new. But that's normal.
bigslick440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

You removed your cats???????
Did you put high flow replacements on, or????
Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Off road x pipe. Which requires a tune. I wouldn't recommend it if you want to keep warranty.

Also it will have a little different odor. More fumes if that makes sense. But it smells better than the burnt smell I got from the cats.
bigslick440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Ok, I would guess you could get about the same HP/TQ and maybe sound by using some high flow CATS, and still be legal when you have to go through DEQ.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What S197 cable clutch? ...these cars have been hydraulic clutch for years....and there is no "stock" 3.23 gears. Base is 3.31, with 3.55 nd 3.73 as an option on manual cars. Great advice you're getting here.

Make sure you look at the brakes at some point. a dragging brake will smell the same as a clutch and certainly cat smell is distinctly different than clutch/brake stink.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
What S197 cable clutch? ...these cars have been hydraulic clutch for years....and there is no "stock" 3.23 gears. Base is 3.31, with 3.55 nd 3.73 as an option on manual cars. Great advice you're getting here.

Make sure you look at the brakes at some point. a dragging brake will smell the same as a clutch and certainly cat smell is distinctly different than clutch/brake stink.
Sorry, I was referring to the last Mustang I owned which was a 97. I also didn't realize they had gone from 3.23's to 3.31's.
If the brakes were dragging you'd be able to see signs on the disc, and if you want to split hairs, the material on the brakes is totally different than on the clutch disc.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think you've demonstrated your knowledge base around this platform here.

You wouldn't need a lot if brake drag to create a stink, it may not show for a long time and the smell of the materials being combusted can be indistinguishable. Not saying that's the answer for sure, as who could over the net but, it merits a full investigation.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 12-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I think you've demonstrated your knowledge base around this platform here.

You wouldn't need a lot if brake drag to create a stink, it may not show for a long time and the smell of the materials being combusted can be indistinguishable. Not saying that's the answer for sure, as who could over the net but, it merits a full investigation.
I appreciate your comments and I certainly admit I don't know everything about this new Mustang platform..........and don't think it will take long with a little help from people like you and the 40 years of drag racing, building hot rods, and track racing with competition licenses in NHRA and SCCA. I certainly have a lot to learn about the new Mustang.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2013 GT MT82. When I first got it , it was much more a beast to drive then the last stick shift car I had in a 4 cyl decades ago; so I got some clutch smell for the first few times of spirited pulls inside the car hard smell. also forgot and left out of a parking lot in 3rd and got the smell inside the car.. But I have noticed the CATs making a smell only able to tell from outside, similar, but not quite as a "stench" to it. Saturday had run the car on a winter warm up out on a clean road, then did a good pull. Got it to the Garage. I got out and said, Cluth? then sniffed and noticed it was the CATs again.

But this could be brake smell as well for me; I have no other input as I was told it was CATS before. Next time I will sniff each whell and see. I do also notice my CATs making a "rattle" sound when first started during the summer and fall.

You you saying the Smell has that inside the car or once you get outside?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

if its the cats, then id imagine the smell varies. Whatever sticks to it while driving gets burned off when they get real hot.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
if its the cats, then id imagine the smell varies. Whatever sticks to it while driving gets burned off when they get real hot.
Well on mine, its just a CAT smell; as (almost) nothing gets on them to burn off. Only driven on clean roads, no salt, no leaves, no moisture of any kind. But I only smell it outside the car. I am wondering if the OP can smell it on the inside and what did he have to do to smell the White CS's cluth smell, did he have to walk over to it or was it bad with just his window down next to it?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Cat smell is hydrogen sulfide and a function of unburnt fuel residual in the cat.

People characterize it as rotten egg smell.

Brake and clutch stink us pretty distinctive. Don't quite know how to describe but you know it when you smell it.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cat smell is hydrogen sulfide and a function of unburnt fuel residual in the cat. People characterize it as rotten egg smell.
Brake and clutch stink us pretty distinctive. Don't quite know how to describe but you know it when you smell it.
HI 5LHO, I am not getting the sulfide smell I know well, its like slightly brunt paper bag from the old days, a super hard wood hit with a wood burner real quick and let go; or just hot steel. But its not the skanky smell of the hot clutch, yes you know that. I've never had brakes smell that way, but I've never burnt them yet.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
HI 5LHO, I am not getting the sulfide smell I know well, its like slightly brunt paper bag from the old days, a super hard wood hit with a wood burner real quick and let go; or just hot steel. But its not the skanky smell of the hot clutch, yes you know that. I've never had brakes smell that way, but I've never burnt them yet.

Skanky smell of the hot clutch lol

I just had to give you some props on using skanky and hot and clutch 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
So when I accelerate quickly, you think the cats ate getting hot and burning residue off? It only happens when I get on it

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Well on mine, its just a CAT smell; as (almost) nothing gets on them to burn off. Only driven on clean roads, no salt, no leaves, no moisture of any kind. But I only smell it outside the car. I am wondering if the OP can smell it on the inside and what did he have to do to smell the White CS's cluth smell, did he have to walk over to it or was it bad with just his window down next to it?
I can not smell it inside, and I raced the white gtcs and after I had to get behind him due to traffic and I could smell it

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I get a particular smell in my car when i really floor it. I dont think mine is a clutch smell, just from the engine bay. But that builds.up lots of heat around the exaust manifold and the cats. I shine my engine bay so it wouldnt surprise me if its that. Otherwise rain and road grime thats on both manifolds and cats. That was my best guess.
Sometimes im still a bit used to 4bangers, these v8s are a totally different beast. Never had a car that the floors get warm during trips from the cats. Let alone loud and fast.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #26

Region: South Carolina
I was getting a sulfide smell when my car was under 500 miles and when I was helping my son find his phone in the school parking lot. As much as I was stoping and going, it had to be the breaks.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #27

Region: Wisconsin
2015 mustang GT

Hey... I just bought a new '15 GT LE Pkg has less than 3200 miles on it. Bought it at 3 miles on engine off show room floor. I took it back two days later due to a burning smell shifting from 3rd into 4th gear. Dealership said it was because I kept my foot on clutch while shifting- uhmmm, noooo; That wasn't the issue. So, I kept taking it back to them. They kept telling me it was "nothing". Today, while merging into traffic on the interstate, the damn clutch stuck to the floor. It revved my engine but with no power forward- thought I was going to get in an accident- it really F-cked up my ability merge properly and then came the burning smell- horrible. I am going back to the dealership tomorrow but does anyone have any idea's as to what this could be ??? It's definitely not "nothing" at this point....Thank you!!!
FRDM4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:36 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

It's the organic clutch disc,try rpm match shifting and lower rpm's off the line,clutch will wear out alittle faster than normal, did you break it in right the 1st 1000 miles?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron50 View Post
It's the organic clutch disc,try rpm match shifting and lower rpm's off the line,clutch will wear out alittle faster than normal, did you break it in right the 1st 1000 miles?

Thanks for the response.. I don't know if I "broke it in " right..... I seated the engine properly but was never informed about breaking in a clutch...I never had this problem in my 2008 Mustang or way back when I bought an RX-7 when they came out in 1986.... I know how to work a clutch but the Service people at the dealership give the impression that because I'm female, I don't know how to shift right or that I leave my foot on the clutch too long- neither which is true.They themselves took it out and had the same smell shifting from 3rd to 4th yet say it's nothing to worry about. Does the disk need to be replaced?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

I bought my 2014 with 2700 miles so I have no idea how it was treated from day one. When breaking in an aftermarket clutch like McCleod, Center Force, or FRPP they always recommend driving the car in the city as much as possible for the first 500 miles. This way you get heating and cooling cycles and wear some of the high spots down............................driving it on the freeway for 500 miles will give you no heat cycles.....................so using it as much as possible for the first 500 miles is recommended.
This is just my experience..............................with non OE parts.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #31
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
My car smelled when getting on it for 5-6K miles

4ME, the pedal sticking to the floor is a problem (no _____ Mud!) I've seen several posts about earlier models (11-14's) having this problem at hi rpms but don't think there is a great answer. I swapped out my clutch line for a hi-volume one as a precaution but didn't notice any difference. good luck and hope it can be replicated for your dealer.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

The only cure is an upgraded clutch, I went with mcleod rst,love it,lighter pedal,holds more power and no high rpm lockout

Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

clutch smell :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron50 View Post
The only cure is an upgraded clutch, I went with mcleod rst,love it,lighter pedal,holds more power and no high rpm lockout

The only cure? Lol the car is practically new and the clutch should be working perfectly

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

That's ford,they will only replace it with the same cheap parts

Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
My car smelled when getting on it for 5-6K miles

4ME, the pedal sticking to the floor is a problem (no _____ Mud!) I've seen several posts about earlier models (11-14's) having this problem at hi rpms but don't think there is a great answer. I swapped out my clutch line for a hi-volume one as a precaution but didn't notice any difference. good luck and hope it can be replicated for your dealer.
Thanks for the reply! The dealership is checking it out today... It's under Warranty so it's all good- hate paying on it while it sits in a garage for repair work for the next two weeks though!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT