Shifting Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Shifting Problems

I have had my my 2013 GT for 5 months now and I hadn't had to many problems shifting aggressively until lately. Seems like I missed a gear twice and now its in my head and I have done it a few times since then. Obviously its 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th. Any advice?
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah. Get a better transmission

Or get a MGW Short Throw
&
Blowfish Mount
&
Delete Clutch Assist Spring
&
Whiteline Mount
&
Steel Braided Line
&
Kick the clutch hard
&
Relax
(:

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
MGW race spec shifter for the mt-82
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I had the same issues. I installed the barton two post shifter and Whiteline transmission mount. 85% better. My only complaints are primarily related to my 2nd and 3rd gear syncros. I also switched to Amsoil MTF.

The Blowfish racing mount seems to be the magic bullet for the semi-remote mount shifter in the mustang. The issue is flex between the body and transmission during high shock load moments, such as hard acceleration. The blowfish mount completely remote mounts the shifter, which in theory should take care of the issue entirely. However the MT82 still has issues with 2nd and 3rd gear in lots of peoples cars, and if you move the rev limiter to above 7000rpm you'll have issues with the clutch pedal staying on the floor.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just a thought, although I'm new to this Chinese made MT82, but to keep the movement to a minimum why not use a torque brace?
Maybe because I was a drag racer for over 35 years, there seems to be quite a lot of torque movement from the engine and trans, putting a brace/chain/cable with turn buckle would eliminate the movement, which could eliminate the flexing..........just a thought.
I haven't gotten that far yet, but would like to upgrade the clutch, shifter, and also upgrade to a one piece driveline sometime in the future so I can bolt on a pair of slicks and take it down the 1/4 mile...............but I have to say Ford sure got the gearing right in the MT82, with my 3:73's you can enter the apex in 3rd and leave in 4th................really nice.............IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
I had the same issues. I installed the barton two post shifter and Whiteline transmission mount. 85% better. My only complaints are primarily related to my 2nd and 3rd gear syncros. I also switched to Amsoil MTF.

The Blowfish racing mount seems to be the magic bullet for the semi-remote mount shifter in the mustang. The issue is flex between the body and transmission during high shock load moments, such as hard acceleration. The blowfish mount completely remote mounts the shifter, which in theory should take care of the issue entirely. However the MT82 still has issues with 2nd and 3rd gear in lots of peoples cars, and if you move the rev limiter to above 7000rpm you'll have issues with the clutch pedal staying on the floor.

Mine stays on the floor past 7000! How do I fix that? I have MGW short throw. Would blowfish help or no for that problem?

Old 12-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Barton.... Buy the whole Barton shifter kit. Don't skimp out and just buy the shifter.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
Mine stays on the floor past 7000! How do I fix that? I have MGW short throw. Would blowfish help or no for that problem?

OE diaphragm type clutches are prone to sitting on the floor at high rpms because centrifugal force is just too much for the diaphragm fingers to spring back. Ditch the OE and go with an aftermarket like Centerforce, D&D Performance, Clutch Masters, or McLeod. It's really the only way to overcome this issue..IMHO
Old 12-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
OE diaphragm type clutches are prone to sitting on the floor at high rpms because centrifugal force is just too much for the diaphragm fingers to spring back. Ditch the OE and go with an aftermarket like Centerforce, D&D Performance, Clutch Masters, or McLeod. It's really the only way to overcome this issue..IMHO
Why does something in the driveline clunk when I'm at a red light and I put it in first. It also only happens when its hot?
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Remove clutch pedal return spring. Will increase clutch pedal effort, but stop the pedal from sticking to the floor. Just google mustang clutch pedal spring and you'll get several guides.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I second the removal of the clutch spring. In a week or two you wont feel the diff in effort. I do have to pull my clutch pedal up with the top of my shoe every morning, but I never miss a shift.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Remove clutch pedal return spring. Will increase clutch pedal effort, but stop the pedal from sticking to the floor. Just google mustang clutch pedal spring and you'll get several guides.

Already had that removed for about 3 months, MGW Short throw & Whiteline mount.

Nothin solves it. So I have to shift at 6.9k with my cobra jet manifold when im tuned to 7.9k with my billet oil pump gears. Lol

Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Nothin solves it. So I have to shift at 6.9k with my cobra jet manifold when im tuned to 7.9k with my billet oil pump gears. Lol

When you pull the transmission, that would be the time to upgrade to a diaphragm clutch that won't stick to the floor at 8,000rpm...........you'll have most of the hard work done pulling the trans................IMHO

Old 12-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Solution, sell your manual car and get an auto lol. The full fix right now seems to be the MGW race spec since it replaces the limp noodle linkage which no other shifter does. White line insert along with a braided line and spring delete couldn't hurt either. Ford even acknowledges the synchros are not the greatest since they claim to have improved them for 2015.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well i mean, think about it logically, you're describing things you've changed with the shifter, and saying your clutch pedal is sticking ... those systems aren't even related.

I did a SS clutch line and DOT 4 fluid as well as the clutch spring removal and i was shifting at 7500+ with my CJ intake. This is not a forgiving transmission, especially at such high RPMs, you basically have to be right on the money with the shifts. I almost had to relearn to drive the car at that point, because the margin for error is much smaller.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
what Volt said...practice, practice, concentrate.

fwiw I did all the fixes and the two biggest improvements were motor mounts and learning how to shift it. It does not accept sloppy shifts although the majority of the time it is beautiful you can NOT take shortcuts with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT