Mustang GT 2014 help with twin turbos - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #1

Mustang GT 2014 help with twin turbos

I'm kinda new to this forum for mustangs and I have basic knowledge of vehicles but I can work my way threw a vehicle. With that, my goal is to attach the Hellion Twin Turbo kit. I was wondering with my mustang being stock automatic 5.0 GT what should I do before I put the twin turbos in? For example should I upgrade my intake manifold; do I need an intercooler with this kit, and if yes which brand do you prefer; should I keep my stock gears or upgrade to 4.10 for better torque to handle the hp? I plan to have this kit put in by professionals and let them tune it for me but I want to do as many upgrades as needed before I do the kit so whenever the kit is put in my pony, it will ride with no issues. I already plan on upgrading the brakes and tires to handle the twin turbos.
RyanHallock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Mustang GT 2014 help with twin turbos

I wouldn't put 4:10. I've been told a 3.15 is a good ratio for turbos or supercharger. Maybe a 3.55 but anything higher you'll spin ALOT. Let some others chime in to hear their experiences as I'm not 100% because that's only what I HEARD.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

Okay someone told me that my stock dhould hold up and all I really need is drag radials, twin turbo kit, and tune up. Possibly brakes upgrade depending on my style of driving. So if that is the case I will be a happy camper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You do realize you're looking upwards of $10,000+ for what you're looking for? Seems to me you need to do some real searching and realize what you're getting into. If this was a serious thread.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Also the hellion kit is stupid overpriced... 4.10s in an 11-up auto will make you slower.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
You might as well drain your oil and drive around for a couple days. Your car might last longer that way than with a TT kit.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
" do I need a intercooler for this kit "

Lmao come on. Seriously

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
You might as well drain your oil and drive around for a couple days. Your car might last longer that way than with a TT kit.

Not true if done right. Just like any power adder, supporting cast and tune is critical.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
" do I need a intercooler for this kit "

Lmao come on. Seriously

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That's actually a good question. The inter cooler I believe is optional. It's the outer cooler that is a must.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

So to answer my question I might as well trade in my mustang and buy the dodge challenger srt because of my ignorance I can't get into a hobby? Btw I have 10k set to the side because I saved my money like an adult. But on the plus side someone pm me and said I may want to look into supercharger instead because it's cheaper and easier to install so anyone with a real goddamn answer please fell free to give me your input thank you.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ignorance is not simply not knowing about something, Its wanting to spend $10k on something you know nothing about. I would wait and do a LOT more reading first, you asked some pretty trivial questions that are considered "basics" as far as most go.

That being said, i would do a single turbo or supercharger before i ever bothered with twins, I find them unnecessary and complex with more **** to break or go wrong.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

There are a lot of variables in adding forced induction. What are your goals for the car? Is it just for some more power for daily driving or is it to attack the quarter mile or road racing? Do you want 600 whp or do you want to build the motor and go higher? Twins have a history of being harder to instal and tune. That doesn't mean it can't be done. Supercharger for the most part are easier to instal and cheaper. Team Beefcake Racing has good deals on Paxton and Vortech. Have you considered the suspension and tires to handle the extra hp?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #13

I'm not really looking to redo my engine but I want to get the most out of my stock engine. Seeing that s/c is better for what I want I'm pretty sure that is the way I will go. I'm aware that I will have to change my suspension and tires with this build. Honestly if I go s/c I like vortech but I want to build my engine up so whenever I install it I won't have to buy everything at once. (Not sure if that makes sense)

Old 12-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

give the guy a break he told you he was not sure how to do it so he asked you guys not for you all to tell him all the reasons why he cant. if he is serious and so is his pocket its easy and he doesnt need to no ***** about cars if hes got the money to back it up if you really want those twin turbos go for it but like some said there are many risks by adding the hp which could be added in much safer ways. i recommend take the cash and go ask the shop that was going to install everything for u and if there the real deal they will kno.
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I purchased the vmp stage 2 kit. It's my after work car. It won't be the fastest ever but it'll have power when I want it. I wanna be at 550 whp and that is EASILY achievable and safe with this setup. Plus it's basically instant torque unlike Paxton or vortech that have to build boost and make max power near redline. Just something to think about. I have already done my suspension to handle and plant the power although my tires aren't the best I plan to upgrade those.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea man definitely buy what you want. You will definitely need an intercooler if you go turbo. Id advise even if you go with a centrifugal blower get it intercooled anyway. More power and reliability. All i can tell you is research the different power adders and watch a few vids to get an idea of which one you want. Boost is the answer. The best answer will be up to you choosing how you want that boost delivered. Consider your preference on how u want that power delivered. Research turbo, centrifugal, twin screw, roots and even nitrous and weigh your options
Raeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

What he said^^

Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #18

Okay I'll do so more researching and I'll make another post later on my final decision. And see what I can do for my car before the final install (stuff I can do from home). Thanks guys and gals for understanding and the information.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its not that you are ignorant its that it doesn't seem like you did any research. For someone beginning, what I would suggest is the Paxton or Vortech kit from Beefcake (google them) which comes with literally everything for $5600 including tune. If you are good with working on cars and have tools you can install yourself pretty easy.

To spend the rest of your monies, I'd do longtubes, midpipe and full cat back. Probably near $2k for that so now $7600. Figure another $1k for a basic lowering with BMR control arms and adj panhard. At $8600, the other $1400 should go towards a triple disc stall converter and the install. This is $10k give or take.

Now... You can also do the On3 twin kit (www.on3performance.com) but you have to source your own fuel system and tune. The good news is you'll be in a few $hundred below the Supercharger and you don't need headers or mid pipe since the On3 includes that. The bad news is the install is way more complex (still something a competent weekend mechanic can do) and you'll have to make damn sure your tuner is good for a twin turbo setup.

Me personally... I'd go with the on3 kit because I'm a glutton for punishment and autos and turbos are like peas and carrots. However if you want a pretty much turnkey kit that is easy to install, you can't beat the centri superchargers.

Edit: Also I saw you mention street racing in an above post. I know you are new here but talk of street racing at all is against the terms of service you agreed to when you registered. Please just keep that in mind.

Edit2: also the prices I listed are if you are installing yourself. If you are paying a shop... I wouldn't bother.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #20

Okay I'll remember that and $5600 is not bad at all just for a super.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

This car make 650rwhp and 500rwtq on stock internals. If you have just moderate mechanicing skills you can do the install in your driveway like my son and I did. EVERYTHING is included with the Beefcake Special that you will need to make tons of power, you are able to do it yourself so if you have 10k, you can do the Supercharger with Lund TUNING included, badass suspension and have money left over.
Always watch out for hidden or costs that are NOT mentioned when purchasing a forced induction system. With any SC think about these critical things -
Supercharger itself and INSTALL
Fuel System Upgrade
TUNING
Many superchargers have a good price, but when you look, it is JUST the base supercharger unit. You then have to pay extra for upgrading your fuel system, and pay for tuning. Many get to the tuning part and want to "cheap out" and save money since they are finding it is now costing them more than that original base price. This could be the biggest mistake one will ever make.
The Vortech system on this car will smoke the tires off if you like burning your tires, but there is nothing like the top end horsepower these produce. All the talk of the lack of torque of a centri is laughable too me. I want a badass fast car, not a burnout queen. Always hear about the power not coming on til 3-4k rpms. I still have not been in a race where we were limiting the race from idle to 2900rpms
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

IMHO, if I had an auto I'd look at the On3 kit, but as was said already, you do have to factor in extra $$$ vs the base cost of $3750 that people see for the On3 initially and think (zomg wow that is cheap!!1114!!eleven!). By the time you get done with all the On3 stuffs its still a little cheaper than the Beefcake kits but only a few $hundred.

And as has already been said numerous times. If you are an amateur mechanic or are paying a shop to do it... just get the supercharger. I am a mechanic as an actual job and I have a bunch of tools so I'd be fine with a more complex install but not everyone is.

Also... you don't exactly need a power adder to go pretty fast in these things. 11s and even 10s are possible on the stock longblock with the right suspension/tuning/tires. Especially with the auto. You may not win roll races vs a 650-700whp power adder Coyote/GT500 but from a stop you'll put a bus length a car making that much without the right suspension to put it down.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Most shops I've talked to in VA refuse to touch an On3 kit. I didn't ask why, but there has to be a reason.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Probably because of the install itself and apparently according to Rap you need a tuner who really really knows wtf they are doing with twins (turbos not like... The Coors lite twins). I'd just get ahold of Vmp or Aed or Lund and see if they can or if not then pm/email Chad at On3 and see who he is using and contact them or see if he knows anyone near you who has his kit.

The on3 Coyote is 2011 Grabber Blue A6 that is street driven all the time and runs 9s consistently. With the stock heads and cams and transmission... Has a forged rotating assembly and a stall. Stock long block and stock converter it was mid 10s Iirc cutting 2.0 60 fts due to the stock stall.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT