Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Nitrous activation switch

Tags
nitrous
2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Evolution5.0 
#1 ·
When I hook up a nitrous system (plate system) with the TPS sensor can I use the activation switch while already in throttle? Like lets say I don't want to spray until I hit 2nd gear, can I then hit the switch at any point and it will work like it is suppose to?
My guess would be yes but im only worried that the TPS would not let it activate because maybe it wasnt reading throttle position while it was off and then BAM its ON. :hide:

#3 ·
So is the TPS always active after calibrating it? The solenoids must be the only thing that gets powered on by the activation switch then, right? And then when I add the fuel pressure switch it will always be on as well right? I just hooked a system up on a friends mustang and when I do mine I want to put the switch in a nice spot so I can spray only when I need to and not always at full throttle.

#4 ·
You can do that....The only issue is the lag because the system won't necessarily be purged or the bottle not temped up.

#5 ·
I'm not putting a bottle heater on it. And what kind of lag are we talking about? 0.3 sec of lag. I shouldn't see a difference

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#6 ·
I dunno, if I was giving up 3 tenths at the track, I'd be bothered. The lag amount depends on how much line and the bottle pressure.

#7 ·
I was just tossing out a number when I said 3 tenths. I would guess a bottle warmer would not make a difference for me considering Its a 100 shot. Correct me if im wrong. This system will be for that uh ohh moment when I need more distance from the guy next to me.

#8 ·
Look man, you sound like you're kind of new to this. Nitrous is not just a flick on and go mid street race. You don't want to leave the bottle on all the time as that's rough on the solenoids, you need a tune to run it and unless you are sure the bottle pressure is up and the system purged, the results may not deliver what you need when you need it.

#10 ·
A bottle heater is used to maintain bottle pressure, resulting in a consistent hit. If you are set for a 100 shot at 1050 psi and the bottle pressure drops to 800 psi (either by temps or the bottle being less full), things aren't going to work the way they should. You will be dumping a 100 shot of fuel on maybe a 70 shot of nitrous.

If you purge the nitrous before you need it, you can activate it in whatever gear you want. In my Z28, first gear is 100% useless without nitrous. So I don't spray in that gear. I have a toggle switch that I flip and it activates the WOT switch. Once the switch is on, WOT between 3500 - 6500 rpm (window switch) means it's spraying a 150 shot.

Honestly, a bottle heater is really something everyone that has nitrous should have.

#11 ·
Life us full of small tragedies....:)

#12 ·
My other 2 mustangs had a dry kit and no heater and hooked up by a button on the shifter with no problems. Both of those didn't have a tsp switch so that's why I ask about the activation switch. I just contacted NXworks they said I can run the kit just as it comes with no heater.

#13 ·
Just talked to Mike roush and he said a tune is not needed for a 100 shot. He would recommend it just to pull 1 degree of timing and said something else about the knock sensors.

#14 ·
Carry on then. Apparently you know what you're doing. :)

#15 ·
Grabber12, the guys here are offering sound advice and although you can run Nitrous without a bottle heater, for the reasons they offered and more, you may want to consider all of your options here. I suggest: Bottle Heater, Blow down tube, WOT switch and/or RPM window switch. Have you ever seen a nitrous explosion? Have you ever burnt a piston and had to pull a motor out to fix it? It's a small price to pay to run the Nitrous system properly, especially compared to other forms of forced induction.

#16 · (Edited)
bottle heaters are a must with nitrous as stated before with previous posts, and i would definitely get a tune if i were you, even if it is only a 100 shot. my car was dyno tuned with a 100 shot and i ended up getting another 120 whp out of it and the knowledge that my car runs perfect while spraying. it seems like you are trying to cut corners and save money judging by your posts. I would do it right the first time if i were you to avoid ****ing up your engine and potentially having to replace your engine with your own money because you kissed your warranty goodbye after installing and using the kit, so there is a few grand out of your pocket just to replace the engine. you are planning to run a window switch and purge right? if you are talking about switching on your arm switch during a race maybe you would be better off with a progressive shot system. progressive shots are for cars running big shots but it may suit your needs. i'm not to familiar with progressive systems as i am not using one yet. maybe someone with more experience with them will comment on it.

#17 · (Edited)
it seems like you are trying to cut corners and save money judging by your posts.[/QUOTE said:
Yeah im trying to cut every corner I can. Cutting corners is my middle name. When I put a pricey exhaust on my car I cut many corners, then went with pricey coil overs and cut even more corners. Im on craigslist looking to piece together a nitrous kit and im just going to use speaker wire to wire this baby up. Will sprinkler drip line work for my nitrous line? hope so cause im going to cut a corner and use that also. Im on here asking what corners i can cut.:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.