MGW Race Spec Shifter Installed Thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
MGW Race Spec Shifter Installed Thread

Thought I would put up a thread for all the people that have installed the new Race Spec Shifter (RSS) to share tips and impressions on how the shifter performs.

I was very impressed with the amount of work and machining that went into this whole unit. It is an understatement that this piece looks phenomenal. Fitment of everything is perfect. You really don't appreciate it fully until you crawl under your car and pull out the Ford stock shifter. Sitting side by side you would think the stock shifter was something someone threw together after a weekend drinking in Vegas.

The install is pretty straight forward just loosen up the H pipe clamps and drop the cross member and get to it. I pulled the stock shifter out as a complete unit. Just unbolt the support bracket from the trans mount and detach from the shifter. Remove the bolt from the shift linkage drop the rear shift bracket and it's out. After watching the bench model assembly on line I followed the directions except I attached the new shift support beam to the front trans mount before installing the shifter body. Just seemed easier to reach the front mounting bolt that way. One of the more colorful moments is the install of the shifter dust boot. Whoever is the poor bastard that has that job in Flat Rock my hat is off to him. PITA! Don't forget to check your shifter throw before putting the boot back on or you'll be pulling it off to adjust it. Not good.

My first impression was the solid feel and how precise everything felt. You feel very connected to the trans now. One of the things I was looking for was the cold fluid gear nibble into 2nd. I thought maybe I could feel it just a bit with shifting normally but when I take the little pause and then go to second it seems perfect while the trans is still cold. It was very hard to tell if I felt the nibble or not so it has vastly improved the shift nibble condition if not eliminated it. NVH is very minute. I can feel more vibration through the shifter but in a connected way. For me it improves my connection with the car. I can also hear very subtle trans noise but again not in a bad way and not in all gears. The shifter has enhanced my driving experience. The car has gone from a mute vague feeling to precise and connected. Heel toe downshifts are now a joy and feel so nice, what a change from before.

Only have a couple of open track dates coming up end of December and early January so I wont get to check out this thing for real until then. I would think with what I have experienced so far I will be impressed. The shifter finds it way through the gears effortlessly and precisely and just feels great. Great work MGW! This shifter is a rock!
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

good to hear! Im on the waiting list, hoping to get a call this week sometime. Ive asked on a few other threads, the question has went unanswered, do stock stock knobs (12mm x 1.25) work on these shifters?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes they do. They also send a grommet with a nicely machined collar if you just buy an aftermarket.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Yes they do. They also send a grommet with a nicely machined collar if you just buy an aftermarket.

awesome!! thanks for confirming man

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 12-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I didn't do anything with the h pipe. Just lowered the trans with a small scissor jack after unbolting the cross member. Guess I didn't think about it if that was good or not. Worked for me. I used box wrenches, ratcheting box wrenches would be easier. Drive it around a bit and play with the lock out adjustment before installing the boot. Start the boot over the lock out tab first. Keep any extra grease from the shifter off the boot.

Deep Impact Blue 2014.5 GT Premium
3:73 Axle
Brembo Brakes
'12 Shelby Axle Back Exhaust
Trackey
Boss 302 Side Exhaust w/QTP cut-outs
MGW Race Spec Shifter
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I was buttered could not get enough drop to wiggle out that mounting arm bolt. I'm thinking to myself do I need to drop the exhaust too? Wasn't sure if loosening the h pipe would do it but I'm glad it did. Good info for guys doing this on the ground.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
My race spec sucks. Awful shifter. Takes the grunt beer belly manliness out of shifting. Shifting the mt82 used to be an acquired skill, and now every joe smoe can do it with a race spec.

I'm kidding lol. I still get notch when cold and periodically when warm. I don't think this shifter is as smooth as the gen 1. The gen 1 felt very firm and yet smooth. The race spec is more direct and mechanical and the harder bushings are felt in the shift for sure. If I had to do it again, I would have just kept my gen 1. If you don't have a higher rev limiter, and don't track your car for a living, the gen 1 is honestly probably a better option. I might try to adjust the lock out pin to see if that makes it smoother. But my 2nd to 3rd shift is really the shift that isn't as smooth. Hopefully adjusting the pin will help. It's not bad...just not as buttery as the gen 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm getting excited, I called MGW yesterday for an update on the next batch, the nice lady told me anyone on the waiting list will get a call next week as the next batch will be ready to ship then.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
My race spec sucks. Awful shifter. Takes the grunt beer belly manliness out of shifting. Shifting the mt82 used to be an acquired skill, and now every joe smoe can do it with a race spec.

I'm kidding lol. I still get notch when cold and periodically when warm. I don't think this shifter is as smooth as the gen 1. The gen 1 felt very firm and yet smooth. The race spec is more direct and mechanical and the harder bushings are felt in the shift for sure. If I had to do it again, I would have just kept my gen 1. If you don't have a higher rev limiter, and don't track your car for a living, the gen 1 is honestly probably a better option. I might try to adjust the lock out pin to see if that makes it smoother. But my 2nd to 3rd shift is really the shift that isn't as smooth. Hopefully adjusting the pin will help. It's not bad...just not as buttery as the gen 1.

Thanks for adding some balance to the discussion. I'm sitting here pretty happy with my previous gen MGW and Blowfish bracket combination, which I believe are synergistic. Your description of the shifting action is similar to mine with the MGW/BF set up. Still get a 1-2 notch but very rarely if ever a nibble. All the other shifts are great, including the 2-3 shift. Not sure I'm seeing an advantage to the race spec shifter as I have no intention of tracking my car.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
Thanks for adding some balance to the discussion. I'm sitting here pretty happy with my previous gen MGW and Blowfish bracket combination, which I believe are synergistic. Your description of the shifting action is similar to mine with the MGW/BF set up. Still get a 1-2 notch but very rarely if ever a nibble. All the other shifts are great, including the 2-3 shift. Not sure I'm seeing an advantage to the race spec shifter as I have no intention of tracking my car.

Can you clarify what your version of notch vs. nibble? Are the both audible to you? I was thinking about trying a different Trans fluid.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Does it come with instructions? Anyone know the cheapest place to purchase from?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Does it come with instructions? Anyone know the cheapest place to purchase from?
you can only order directly from MGW

Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah...try advanced auto parts or pep boys. Wal mart is hit or miss on pricing.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
you can only order directly from MGW

thanks.

Quote:
Yeah...try advanced auto parts or pep boys. Wal mart is hit or miss on pricing.

Wow I had to check and make sure I wasn't accidentally on a civic forum.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you clarify what your version of notch vs. nibble? Are the both audible to you? I was thinking about trying a different Trans fluid.

Sure, by "notch" I mean that there's definitely a two-step motion to engage the gear as opposed to a smooth single motion. the 1-2 shift has this but it's not audible.

By nibble I mean both a feeling of whirring parts coming together less than smoothly (i.e. you can feel the shifter vibrate or bounce a bit) accompanied by an audible crunch. If you've ever been fishing and had a fish nibbling at your bate, you can feel the motion down there, the nibbling feel some shifters can have is reminiscent of this.

The MGW alone reduced the crunching / nibbling between gears 1 & 2 but did not eliminate it compared to stock. It gave a big improvement for all the other shifts. Since adding the BF bracket, I don't believe I've heard any crunching or felt any nibbling, but some amount of silent "notchiness" remains. the 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6 shifts are very smooth.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
Road Trip!

I see...yeah I still get nibble until my Trans warms up. It's audible and sounds like ****. It was less audible with the gen 1 shifter actually.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
thanks.

Wow I had to check and make sure I wasn't accidentally on a civic forum.

I got my led map lights from advance auto parts. And my rims from pep boys. Got a dyno tune scheduled at Walmart next week. I hear they run aggressive timing.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Hahahahahahahah^^^

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I will have my car out at the track on the 20th so I will give a full review of performance then.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Will an aftermarket shifter void your warranty?

Old 12-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I thought about that before installing mine. And I do believe that it could give them grounds to deny warranty claim. With that said, they would still have to prove the shifter caused the problem. There seems to be enough evidence online along with technical service bulletins updates on the mt82 that would strengthen your case should be ever deny that claim . So, it is possible that they could be sticky about it.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The dealer I spoke to advised they could void your warranty based on the after market shifter. I will wait until the warranty is up.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Yeah I think I will wait it out also.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
The dealer I spoke to advised they could void your warranty based on the after market shifter. I will wait until the warranty is up.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco3 View Post
Yeah I think I will wait it out also.

a shifter is easily removed.......
Old 12-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

They can't void your warranty. They could deny a claim. The fact that there has been a large amount of problems documented with the stock shifter sets precedence a problem with design exists un effected by stock or aftermarket shifter. Your dealer has no say in the coverage of your claim.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

MGW Race Spec Shifter Installed Thread

Ya they do I was just told to screw off with the paint problems on my 5 month old car. They drug their feet for 4 months them told me they did not want to deal with it. Ford cannot tell the dealership what to do as it is privately owned... And that was after ford approved the repair lol I'm at a loss for words following this.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Go to another dealer or sue ford

Old 12-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in the process of going to a different dealer.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 12-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Ya they do I was just told to screw off with the paint problems on my 5 month old car. They drug their feet for 4 months them told me they did not want to deal with it. Ford cannot tell the dealership what to do as it is privately owned... And that was after ford approved the repair lol I'm at a loss for words following this.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
I would like to see how they prove that the aftermarket shifter voided the warranty with respect to hood paint!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

They're not denying it due to after market parts. I was showing a situation where a dealer can refuse to repair a vehicle at their own discretion even if ford approves a repair. I am waiting for my warranty to expire before I purchase a new shifter.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

woohoo!! Julie from MGW called this morning, said they'll be shipping by the end of this week. I'll be having Revolution Automotive rebuild my trans then installing the race spec when I reinstall the transmission

Old 12-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
nice!!

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
woohoo!! Julie from MGW called this morning, said they'll be shipping by the end of this week. I'll be having Revolution Automotive rebuild my trans then installing the race spec when I reinstall the transmission

Be careful with this. Great shop but.....
They rebuilt a good friends. Out here in new braunfels. His name is Andrew. He had the stage 2 done.
Well it lasted about 500 miles at the dragstrip. He called Adam and he told him it wasn't there rebuild rather the shifter he was using. Wtf? So he told him to shove ot up his ***.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
They rebuilt a good friends. Out here in new braunfels. His name is Andrew. He had the stage 2 done.
Well it lasted about 500 miles at the dragstrip. He called Adam and he told him it wasn't there rebuild rather the shifter he was using. Wtf? So he told him to shove ot up his ***.

yeah, kinda weak to blame it on the shifter, but there is only one side of the story being told here, either way, thanks for the heads up man I actually talked to another dealership today, they seem more open to modified cars, so Im going to see what they say before I go to Revolution........
Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Andrew ... Andrew ? Lol his sht blew up from goin 100 and downshifting into 2nd on accident.

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT