MPT tune? No review? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
MPT tune? No review?

I just switched over from 3.7 to a 5.0 this past weekend. I have spent 10+ hrs searching this forum (and svt) to see who's the best tuner in coyote world. None the less Mike Roush from MAP has popped up more often than not. So has AED, VMP, & Lund.

As most of you know MPT is a top dog in 3.7 tuning community, but I found literally two threads in GT section!! Just curious, do they not tune GTs or people just don't give em a try due to vast majority of other tuners out there?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I have them for my 3v and am happy with it

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I have them for my 3v and am happy with it

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
I haven't heard any bad things about MPT either, it's just there's nothing much to look into for coyotes.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I haven't heard any bad things about MPT either, it's just there's nothing much to look into for coyotes.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
What I can say is Ken is really awesome to work with and super helpful

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My Girlfriend and i road race quite often, With me being tuned by AED on my 5.0 (and very happy with it) and her being on MPT with her tune.

I have a "track specific" tune from AED and emailed MPT about getting something made for her car, richer AFR, less timing... just stuff to keep the motor happy during a 20-30 minute session. At that point, the discussion of E85 came up, and i like Ken's approach and am considering switching to MPT for my track tune 100% BASED ON CONVENIENCE REASONS.
I dont know that there is enough to say it will be a "better" tune than my AED one, but as far as the switching to E85, i believe this will work in my favor a little better for both cars. My Street tune will still be my AED tune.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I had an MPT tune until adding the supercharger and MPT did a really good tune for the base car.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
My Girlfriend and i road race quite often, With me being tuned by AED on my 5.0 (and very happy with it) and her being on MPT with her tune.

I have a "track specific" tune from AED and emailed MPT about getting something made for her car, richer AFR, less timing... just stuff to keep the motor happy during a 20-30 minute session. At that point, the discussion of E85 came up, and i like Ken's approach and am considering switching to MPT for my track tune 100% BASED ON CONVENIENCE REASONS.
I dont know that there is enough to say it will be a "better" tune than my AED one, but as far as the switching to E85, i believe this will work in my favor a little better for both cars. My Street tune will still be my AED tune.
Thanks volt! Umm is her 5.0 as well or does she have a 3.7? Just making sure since you had a procharger kit on sale for a 3.7

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I had an MPT tune until adding the supercharger and MPT did a really good tune for the base car.
Aye i read your review, fortunately yours was the only proper thread I could find. But yeah I'm sure MPT guys will do a good job, they have their shiet figured out on 3.7 and F150. Can't think why cannot tune a 5.0

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks volt! Umm is her 5.0 as well or does she have a 3.7? Just making sure since you had a procharger kit on sale for a 3.7

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

Hers is a 3.7, that's my fault for not clarifying. Her car is why i spend so much time over in the V6 section lol. Its similar enough to the 5.0 that im comfortable working on it, but just different enough to be interesting and exciting.

The procharger for sale was a buddy of mine's, he just doesnt get on the forums much so i offered to try to sell it for him.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I just switched over from 3.7 to a 5.0 this past weekend. I have spent 10+ hrs searching this forum (and svt) to see who's the best tuner in coyote world. None the less Mike Roush from MAP has popped up more often than not. So has AED, VMP, & Lund.

As most of you know MPT is a top dog in 3.7 tuning community, but I found literally two threads in GT section!! Just curious, do they not tune GTs or people just don't give em a try due to vast majority of other tuners out there?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
When it comes to the 5.0 tuning community, MPT hardly comes up I noticed. Which is completely different for the 3.7 community. Seems like the hard core 5.0 enthusiasts run Lund, AED, VMP and Mike Roush if you have an automatic. Not sure why MPT is not up there because of the job they do on the 3.7's but its not really mentioned.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
When it comes to the 5.0 tuning community, MPT hardly comes up I noticed. Which is completely different for the 3.7 community. Seems like the hard core 5.0 enthusiasts run Lund, AED, VMP and Mike Roush if you have an automatic. Not sure why MPT is not up there because of the job they do on the 3.7's but its not really mentioned.
Basically! Almost every thread I have across has had peoole raving about AED and Mike Rousch. Coming from a 3.7 and as a big fan of MPT, this was quite a surprise that no one has given em a shot. Well except a few. I'm just gonna have basic bolt ons for now, it kind of makes me hesitant if i should really go for MPT.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Why gamble? Why not go with the tuners that have already proven themselves already?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'd hardly call a company like MPT a gamble. I'll be ordering my E85 road race tune from them the first of the year, as well as an E85 tune for my GFs v6 as well, our next event is January 24-25 so we'll see how it goes.

Not to say any of the other tuners arent capable, like i said - i'll still be running my AED tune on the street, but after a lengthy discussion with Ken over the past few weeks i am sold on having him make our race tunes.

Travis,

It’s pretty tough to compare a 5.0L tune to a 3.7L tune. We tune each of those platforms in a different manner. There are some similarities, but they are largely different.

We’re happy to review a datalog of her tune, but there aren’t any “required” tune changes for road course work. We tune lots of NASA, SCCA, and Koni Challenge Series cars for the shop next door to us, so we’re very familiar with the unique demands road racing puts on a vehicle.

Most of the cars I do for them are Corvette C6 Z06’s and ZR-1’s, which are certainly different. However, the Ford Coyote and Cyclone PCM’s offer an even wider arrange of PCM allowed adaptation based on running conditions, temperatures, fuel quality, etc. So, the calibration for the Ford platforms don’t need to be nearly as “focused” as what we do for the Corvette guys. This is especially true with the ZR-1 as they are very close to the ragged edge straight from GM, and tend to produce excessive amounts of heat in boost.

As you’re already aware, quality fuel and proper maintenance will pay big dividends in terms of reliability on the track, so focus on that first, then driving. Record some logs when you get a chance and we’ll look at those too.

Ken Osborne
Lead Calibrator
Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Been stalking this forum since August after I bought my 5.0, had to join up just to reply to this post. I initially bought the Steeda CAI and tune package, after a month though I bought a MPT tune since my wife's 2012 Mustang V6 has it on her car. The tune was only $70 at the time so it was worth seeing if there would be a difference. I got the 91 octane engine performance, race transmission tune, it is fun. If you ease into the throttle it doesn't shift hard, but once you start going past 20% or so, it will chirp the tires and get you sideways.

One thing that impressed me about them was they give you a list of PID's to log, 2 of them are the intake and exhaust cam positions so they can modify the VVT. When I went to the track with their tune and did a datalog I found that I was getting 8 degrees of burst knock on each shift. A few days after I sent them the logs they sent me a new tune that fixed it. Car feels very strong now when it downshifts.

I have a 2014 Mustang 5.0 with the Brembo package, automatic daily driver. Only mods are CAI, tune and Borla Stingers. It took me 26 days to order the tune, the Ford stock transmission tune was too soft for me after driving my wife's MPT tuned V6. Steeda was a nice tune, but the MPT one feels great when you really get on it. Only downside is the race transmission tune won't shift into 6th gear until 50+ mph, you will burn a little more gas in the city.
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Why gamble? Why not go with the tuners that have already proven themselves already?
As volts said, I wouldn't call MPT a gamble. Especially given their reputation in tuning world. I am just being skeptical since I don't have a big list of 'tune required' mods for me to spend 250 bucks on a tune. Granted you get what you pay, I'm just looking around to see who else is out there

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-10-2014, 02:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Been stalking this forum since August after I bought my 5.0, had to join up just to reply to this post. I initially bought the Steeda CAI and tune package, after a month though I bought a MPT tune since my wife's 2012 Mustang V6 has it on her car. The tune was only $70 at the time so it was worth seeing if there would be a difference. I got the 91 octane engine performance, race transmission tune, it is fun. If you ease into the throttle it doesn't shift hard, but once you start going past 20% or so, it will chirp the tires and get you sideways.

One thing that impressed me about them was they give you a list of PID's to log, 2 of them are the intake and exhaust cam positions so they can modify the VVT. When I went to the track with their tune and did a datalog I found that I was getting 8 degrees of burst knock on each shift. A few days after I sent them the logs they sent me a new tune that fixed it. Car feels very strong now when it downshifts.

I have a 2014 Mustang 5.0 with the Brembo package, automatic daily driver. Only mods are CAI, tune and Borla Stingers. It took me 26 days to order the tune, the Ford stock transmission tune was too soft for me after driving my wife's MPT tuned V6. Steeda was a nice tune, but the MPT one feels great when you really get on it. Only downside is the race transmission tune won't shift into 6th gear until 50+ mph, you will burn a little more gas in the city.
That's pretty much what you'd expect from a MPT tune, it's funny theyre an unknown segment in 5.0 community. I am in the middle of ordering a steeda cai, how the driveability in your case? - more so daily/normal use. Is the throttle response significantly better than steeda tune? How about shift delays?

And as of correctly pointed out, stock tune sucks balls! So much downshifting before it really takes off.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 12-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Driveability is great, gentle around cops but can easily pass people who are driving like idiots because they are texting.

The MPT seems like it has more power around the band than Steeda, at the track Steeda went 12.943 @ 110 in 2500 DA, the MPT went 12.950 @ 109 in 3300 DA. The MPT also had to run in the sun and the car is black. Not much of a difference, big problem is my 60', only 2.150, need practice launching the live axle car.

I think both Steeda and MPT are good, I just like MPT shift tuning better.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #18

Region: Florida
Forced Motorsports has some really good tunes. Chris Holmes and Sai (forget his last name) are very good and are well known over on SVTP.
blkcalispecial is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT