Undercarriage rusting normal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Undercarriage rusting normal?

Hey guys, so when I bought my car in July I found it in the St. Louis area and had it delivered to Tulsa. It was a brand new 2014 5.0 with very low mileage like you would expect. So I had it for about a week before I took it in to a friends auto shop to have the windows tinted and my axel backs installed, I pulled it in and he lifted it and whenever we observed the ENTIRE undercarriage was covered in RUST!! I was just really frustrated to start off and he stated the obvious that it looked really bad and that wasn't a good thing, he said it could lead to further difficulty issues and potentially corrosion. He suggested I take it back to Ford and tell them I want it fixed.

So I took it back to Ford and showed them and they pulled the ole, "Yeah they're all like that" line on me. They suggested that maybe it was from road salt(new car, middle of summer in Oklahoma?) but they all turn all rusty looking like that. They said they could powder coat it but that creates the potential for things to crack in certain conditions. So I declined that and went on about getting my axel backs installed. Now I'm looking at getting an x pipe installed and a different mechanic told me the same thing about how bad it looks. So I'm questioning the guys at my local Ford place and their integrity. I mean, I don't think it should look that way and the reasons they gave me were sketchy so I'm wondering if I need to take further action with this matter or whether it is fairly common and others experience the same issues as I am. All of your thoughts, suggestions and opinions are welcomed. Thank you.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Maybe she went on afew road trips to the beach....? Or from salting of the roads??

But yeah now that you mention it my undercarriage doesn't look as "new" as it should either... I remember thinking that when I looked under it for the first time. (13' 12k miles)

I can tell you this... I've been told my whole life by car guys to NEVER buy a car from a state where it snows because they salt the roads. But I'm in FL so we actually have a choice in the matter.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

usually the only things i see getting rusty are the rear axle, some pieces of an older k member, some sections by the wheel, like tie rods and the spindle, some sections of the frame that hits road debris, mostly directly up front and probably the stock exaust. and im talkin about 2002 in florida. i have no experience with what road salt does, just stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
My car came from Kansas with 500 miles on it used in June. Car has 3500 on it now. Very common for certain parts to form light surface rust. Very different from heavy road salt abuse or damage. My car has very little surface rust anywhere on the undercarriage, but the car has not spent more than a couple days/nights outside ever. Good luck with that.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I bought my new 2014 GT in August of 2013 here in the Springfield MO area which is fairly close to where you bought the car and where you live. My car was built in Feb of 2013 and had sit at the dealer for six months before I bought it.

The first time I looked under my car, I was appalled at how rusty all of the unpainted metal looked. Mine also had salt residue on the underneath of the car.

Unfortunately your dealer was telling you the truth. Most of the new Mustangs I looked at after discovering mine looked a lot like mine did.
Here is a picture I took of my rear axle after installing my Ford aluminum finned rear axle cover and you can see how rusty my axle is. A lot of other unpainted metal on my rear suspension is very rusty as well and the metal clips on the rear emergency brake lines look like they are going to rust off.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

Region: California
I'm in the California Central Valley, 100 miles from the ocean or any salt, also where we never see snow, and my '14 had all those rusted parts after the very first rain of the fall after owning it for only a month or two.....Yeah, the people at the Ford dealership that said "They're all like that", are 100% correct.

Those untreated natural metal parts rust up the first time they see any moisture. Ford was cutting corner$ by not painting or treating those bare metal components... Hence why we have such awesome performance for a reasonable price. All those little details add up to what would amount to the cost of an M3 BMW of equivalant performance and luxury/high quality/attention to detail.

If i had know that from the get go, i would have sprayed copious amounts of gloss black rustoleum to all the natural metal parts accessible the day i brought it home from the dealer. Oh well...
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I live in Oregon, and although I bought the car used it only had 2700 miles from the original owner. I now have over 4200 miles the only rust is on the weights on the rear axle and the driveline, and my axle was painted from the factory.
I will have it on a hoist this weekend and will take more pictures of the underneath as I'm putting the Whiteline trans mount and ES bushing in the shifter. I'm must surprised. We don't have any salt but it is wet for more than 7 months out of the year although it now enjoys staying in a heated garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-05 14.58.05.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	171599  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Those parts are all bare metal and will develop surface rust. Like the rear axle will after like 2 days and some of the brackets etc... As long as the actual body of the car isn't rusting, like the sheetmetal, just keep it washed and taken care of and it'll be fine.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Hey guys this is all really great information I appreciate it. Probably saved me from some public embarrassment. So any thoughts on telling them to go ahead and powder cost it at this point or were they right about that too?
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Hey guys this is all really great information I appreciate it. Probably saved me from some public embarrassment. So any thoughts on telling them to go ahead and powder cost it at this point or were they right about that too?
Not sure you mean "Powder Coat", powder coating is when they apply an electrical charge and spray on powdered/dry paint to something and putting it in an oven at 350 degrees to bake it on. Do you mean undercoating?, the only issue with painting over the rust (unless you use something like POR15 or any rust converter) is that the rust will remain under whatever you spray and it will continue to rust underneath the coating and eventually the coating will come off............IMHO
Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Not sure you mean "Powder Coat", powder coating is when they apply an electrical charge and spray on powdered/dry paint to something and putting it in an oven at 350 degrees to bake it on. Do you mean undercoating?, the only issue with painting over the rust (unless you use something like POR15 or any rust converter) is that the rust will remain under whatever you spray and it will continue to rust underneath the coating and eventually the coating will come off............IMHO
See that exact thing happen all the time in New York
Old 12-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I have seen brand new cars on the lot with the same rust, and mine has it as well.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #13

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
its normal

thats normal; same as the orange discoloring on the brakes; just look at new cars on the car lots--there are lots of vehicles that have been sitting there for a while, which have orange rust-like oxidation.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Normal or not, it bugs me to see rusty parts on a new $35k car. I'm planning to install UCA/LCAs and a girdle cover over the winter so am going to pull the differential and driveshaft and spray them with POR-15. Might try to hit any rusty brackets with a brush while I'm under there too. Yeah I know I'm the only one that will know but the way I see it, the Boss and Shelby cars come protected so mine should be too.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #15

Undercarriage rusting normal?

Attachment 171831
totally normal, unfortunately 😖
Old 12-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
Normal or not, it bugs me to see rusty parts on a new $35k car. I'm planning to install UCA/LCAs and a girdle cover over the winter so am going to pull the differential and driveshaft and spray them with POR-15. Might try to hit any rusty brackets with a brush while I'm under there too. Yeah I know I'm the only one that will know but the way I see it, the Boss and Shelby cars come protected so mine should be too.

Yeah but they're also a lot more money. If the manufactures did everything we think they should the cost of a new car would be outrageously expensive. Sometimes you can talk the F&I guy into throwing a treatment in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
Attachment 171831
totally normal, unfortunately 😖

Yep, you can sand that down and get it looking better the rotors will also rust on back there as well.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #17
Road Trip!

The track pack cars come with a painted axle for that very reason. I also got my undercarriage rust treated. I'm not sure what they did exactly...but I have zero rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #18

just look at the cost of parts & how much it costs to restore older autos 😳😁😱💸

💟 Brandy 💋 Peters 💟
Old 12-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
There is literally no comparison of restoring a classic vs getting parts for latemodel cars. Not even close.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
The track pack cars come with a painted axle for that very reason. I also got my undercarriage rust treated. I'm not sure what they did exactly...but I have zero rust.

So, why then just the TrackPak cars? Don't they go down the same assembly line as the rest of the Mustangs?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
Road Trip!

It's a part of the track pack package. Boss's are the same way.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #22

Its a different axle. In a track pack car.
Rubicon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon04 View Post
Its a different axle. In a track pack car.
What makes it different than a normal production axle?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Isn't the picture of the rusted rear axle earlier in the thread a track pack since it has the finned diff cover?
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammermeow View Post
Isn't the picture of the rusted rear axle earlier in the thread a track pack since it has the finned diff cover?
He mentions the photo was taken after installing the finned aluminum cover so it is probably not a track pack car.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He mentions the photo was taken after installing the finned aluminum cover so it is probably not a track pack car.
Ok, missed that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is correct. That is my car and it is not a track pack car. I just liked the look of the cover better than stock and wanted to help keep the rear end fluid cooler. Plus it has the lower drain plug to make changing the fluid out a lot easier.

Wayne

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT