Torsen DIff - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Torsen DIff

so i just bought this for my 14 gt and no sure why i did? could someone tell me and make my day please lol ty

Ford Racing T-2 Torsen Mustang Differential - 31 Spline 8.8in M-4204-T31 (86-14 V8; 11-14 V6) - Free Shipping
mustang145.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Why would you buy something not knowing what it does?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

dont you have those days when you just feel like buying stuff but anyway any advice would be handy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Wow, just wow.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

enough ppl advice would help more lol
Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Torsen DIff

Return it and buy something you need and understand

Sorry man. I just scratch my head when I read your thread. But seriously. Yeah return it. There's better stuff for you to get. Especially if you don't know what a differential does. You'll enjoy a tune or an exhaust more. Hell even springs and shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you road race or autocross your car, they're AWESOME!!! A Torsen differential acts like an open differential until it detects slippage and then applies power to the wheel with the most traction. I haven't done any races since installing it but, after a few test runs (Closed Course) the advantages are obvious... I'll be able to re-apply power much earlier on the exits of the corners than with my old clutch-type limited slip diff.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
ok lets get a few more things about what a Torsen is not or is.
Cars with regular rear axle (not many any more) would do one wheel only burn outs, and get stuck in the snow.
Then Posi Traction and Limited slip came out; one said both wheels had positive traction and the other said when turning you would get some limited slip to make the turns. One is Chevy and one is Ford.

I can tell you my 2013 GT with Limited slip makes a few squeaking sounds on some turns as it has a limited slip and sometimes that still make tires make noise. And it puts down duel tire tracks.

My 2008 Chevy truck has posi traction in the rear. Its one side tire will spin and violently will then stop with a "bang" and then pull out of the icy driveway that SUX.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The "posi-traction" on your Chevy is worn out Art... You better have that checked out!

The terms posi-trac, limited slip, trac-lock, etc, are all, basically, clutch type limited slip differentials. The different automakers have just given them their own flashy names so that when people are looking at the window sticker, at the dealership, they all say "Oooh, posi-traction rear end... NICE!!!". These types of differential have a 1:1 Torque Bias Ratio meaning that, if they are working correctly, half of the engines power is going to one wheel and the other half to the other wheel. The clutches are just there to provide some slippage while cornering because the outside tire needs to rotate faster. Once the clutches are worn out, the power is still being distributed to the wheels at the same TBR, but some of that power (To the ground) is potentially being wasted through excessive clutch slippage.
The Torsen diff does not use any clutches. Under normal driving, it acts exactly like an open differential and the drive wheels will operate completely independent of one another until it senses a difference in the torque of one of the wheels. It will then send (In the case of the T2R) up to 4 times the torque to the wheel with the most traction.
So let's say that you are going around a corner on a road course. The inside tire becomes very light and begins to spin. The Torsen will allow it to spin until it barely exceeds the speed of the outside tire. It will then begin transferring up to 4 times the amount of power to the outside wheel, whereas a clutch type differential will continue to apply a 50/50 ratio of power to the rear wheels under all conditions.

Again, if OP enjoys going around corners, he's going to be very happy with his Torsen differential.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Posi traction
Traction lock
True traction

All different names from different manufacturers, same stuff

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Torsion differentials don't "send" power anywhere...they are completely passive in nature. Semantics really, but its important to understand that the Torsion differential is not an active traction management system.

Torsion vs. clutch depends on the application. Torsion differentials rely on the binding action and friction of the complicated worm gear assembly inside the differential. A plus to this design is that there are no clutches to wear out. A negative to this design is that the bias ratio (ratio at which power is divided between the wheel WITH traction and the wheel WITHOUT traction) is completed and utterly dependent on at least ONE wheel having a modicum of traction. If you completely lift a wheel off the ground removing all traction, then that wheel will free spin just as it would on an open differential car. Why is that the case? Because the bias ratio is a multiplication of available torque from the wheel with the least amount of traction. If that wheels traction is 0, then no torque can be applied to the opposite wheel because you can't multiply 0. Modern traction control systems can be programmed to apply the brakes to the wheel with 0 traction, so torque against the brakes can be generated and subsequently multiplied to the opposite wheel.

On the other hand, clutch type differentials introduce their own friction into the system in the form of springs and clutches. One wheel is not directly dependent on the other. If you lift a wheel off the ground, the opposite wheel will still have torque applied to it due to the friction generated by the clutches. The downside is that those clutches wear out. In a road racing or auto-cross environment where the clutches see lots of abuse, they wear out very quickly. This is why the track pack cars and the Boss 302 came with a torsion differential.

As for clutch type differentials wearing out, if you remove all of the clutch material then they default to an "open" style differential. At no point do the clutches have any impact if the wheels are both turning at the same speed. The same is true for a torsion. If there is no disparity in wheels speeds, then all differentials behave the same way, whether they be a torsion, clutch, or even a spool.

As for which differential is right, depends on the application. There have been plenty of failures of the Torsion in high power applications on a drag strip. Also the factory trac-loc will not hold up long at a road course. Rebuilds are cheap, but if autoX or road racing is your thing, best to stick with the Torsion. For a drag car, I'd look for an aftermarket clutch based unit that offers increased strength.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
I suppose "send" was a bad choice of words on my part.
How about "distribute"?

Both of the wheels needing to be on the ground is the one major drawback to a Torsen. Fortunately, this is Mustang Evolution and not Rock Crawler Evolution so that really isn't a problem with Mustangs.

And there is no "differential" action with a spool at all. It will bark the inside tire on turns.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT