How rare are 2012 lava red mustangs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

Region: Ohio
How rare are 2012 lava red mustangs

I am looking for answers and you may help point me in the right direction. I own a 2012 Lava Red GT convertible, and called the number in the MCA mag. I was told by a ford rep. that there were only 96 Mustangs painted Lava Red. That’s total, Hardtops, Convertibles, GT’s, V6’s they couldn’t break it down any further. Can you recommend a different source to contact? Apparently I have a very rare car.
jeffhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not rare at all TBCH

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Red is pretty rare in my garage. Only a blue Veloster and a black Mustang in there.

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #4

Region: Massachusetts
Lava red replaced grey when the 2012 Mustang production began. In the spring of 2011 the pigment for that paint became unavailable due to the Tsunami in Japan. Ford continued to produce/fill Lava red orders for the next few months, then they discontinued Lava red and replaced it with Grey. I believe the only other time Lava red was offered was in a special Harley edition of an F series truck a few years earlier.
From time to time I would jump on the web and Google "Lava red convertible" just to see what pops up, which by chance is what I did tonight and I found your post.
I too own one of 96, 2012 Lava Red GT convertibles produced. Attached is a page from a thread I found last year with the build numbers, they are pretty rare. I don't know what the numbers in parentheses on that sheet are, but if you take 2.36% of 4066 GT convertibles you get 96 lava red ones. Total Lava red production is another story, there were lots of hard tops and V6 convertibles produced. Of 88,064 - 2012 cars, it looks like 6869 other configurations were also painted lava red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang build numbers_Page_4.jpg
Views:	1760
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	172036  
ticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Ticks that is some solid research.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They're still available pretty often if you look. There is a real low mileage one for sale on SVTP right now with a Roushcharger on it for $25k. Hardtop, M6, Premium, Lava Red interior trim etc...

However, in even a few years from now they are going to start to get harder and harder to find and are going to be a collectible.

Lol at all the ppl who think that Lava Red is "Red". Most ppl think that they're black until the sun hits the paint and then its like "oshiwtfomg!".
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Pics?

Sent from my XT1056 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcityf6b View Post
Pics?

Google "2012 Lava Red Mustang"...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's a great color. Reminds me of the Brickyard color on 350Zs.

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

When I am in the market for a Coyote or GT500 and if I decide to get a 11/12 car I will definitely be on the lookout for a 2012 Lava Red Auto hardtop. Its one of those cars that kind of... flys under the radar but I know for a fact from talking to ppl who have owned them they turn a LOT of heads and ppl will roll down windows to ask what the heck is going on with the paint.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Google "2012 Lava Red Mustang"...
I likey.

Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have never seen one.
white14v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ive seen a couple lava exteriors out there...very interesting car color, would love to trade my 6 and get my hands on a manual GT with the same color.
However mine is a black base with lava interior. Ive looked around to see how many others have the same wether in auto or manual and cant seem to find anyone else...with the interior that is.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Looking autotrader, if you are willing to drive they are out there, there are 2 low mileage autos with under 25k miles for $25,000 each within 500 miles of me. Both premiums, one has only 14k miles on it and has the lava interior, the other has 24k miles and the black interior. Actually unsure if I like the lava or black interior better but being a lava exterior, it kind of completes the look.

Lots more M6s than A6s btw.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think the lava interior adds just a slightly more expensive, classy look to the Mustang vs the basic black. Saddle interior on the 11's looked pretty classy too...
Old 12-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Only thing that really pisses me off are ppl who drill into the bumpers on cars with rare paints like this. I mean I know dealers do it and not everyone is an enthusiast but nothign looks ****tier than a flat plate on the front of a really mean looking bumper. There are drill free brackets for those who have to be in compliance like me driving onto a military installation in a state that requires front plates. Can easily be taken off for shows or just because I never got stopped by any cops ever in all my years driving in NJ for no front plate.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #17

I agree with the front plate thing, I asked the dealer not to mount the front plate when I ordered it. After 55k miles and three state inspections I was only asked about it once by an officer, so I pulled it out from under the passenger seat and showed him. No holes in this bumper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3771.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	172070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov 2012.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	172071  

Name:	IMG_3769.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	172072  
Old 12-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I hate you both...damn Mass inspection wouldnt even inspect my car until i put it on...only had 2 days to get it done after i registered my car...even Cali wasnt such a stick up the *** about that!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #19

I live in Central Mass and understand what you mean. Just need to find the right inspection station I guess.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Craig's custom drill free brackets. Look them up. Work spectacularly and no tools required.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 12-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #21

Region: Ohio
thanks for all that info. Interesting story. I guess Laquisha thinks 96 is not a very rare number.
jeffhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I've never seen one in person but in the photos it appears to look neat. I had a friend back in the 90's that had a mustang that changed colors that he treasured and explained to me how it was going to be worth a mint one day. I personally thought it looked like gasoline floating on a mud puddle. Anyone remember what they called that?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Only thing that really pisses me off are ppl who drill into the bumpers on cars with rare paints like this. I mean I know dealers do it and not everyone is an enthusiast but nothign looks ****tier than a flat plate on the front of a really mean looking bumper. There are drill free brackets for those who have to be in compliance like me driving onto a military installation in a state that requires front plates. Can easily be taken off for shows or just because I never got stopped by any cops ever in all my years driving in NJ for no front plate.
Consider yourself fortunate. I went to Hackensack about 4-5 weeks ago to est drive a new 2015, and on my way back on the GSP, with my car, I was coming south on the GSP, and coming into the route 3 connection in Clifton, and as I passed the State Trooper, sitting in the Median area, I knew he was gonna come, because of no plate. He pulled me over was very courteous and professional, and could have nailed me for no Seat belts, and no Valid Insurance card in my possession, along with the tinted windows and no plate. He just gave me the No plate Citation, and was pretty cool. I too had just told the dealer I have not been pulled over when they were checking my car out, I had the front plate on, but it was flipped under bumper with the American Muscle Hide Away Bracket.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
Consider yourself fortunate. I went to Hackensack about 4-5 weeks ago to est drive a new 2015, and on my way back on the GSP, with my car, I was coming south on the GSP, and coming into the route 3 connection in Clifton, and as I passed the State Trooper, sitting in the Median area, I knew he was gonna come, because of no plate. He pulled me over was very courteous and professional, and could have nailed me for no Seat belts, and no Valid Insurance card in my possession, along with the tinted windows and no plate. He just gave me the No plate Citation, and was pretty cool. I too had just told the dealer I have not been pulled over when they were checking my car out, I had the front plate on, but it was flipped under bumper with the American Muscle Hide Away Bracket.
Oh I'm all for displaying a plate because of the gate guards at the base and I can literally get ordered to put one on by my boss or never drive the car on base again. But there are plenty of options for no drill brackets plus the plastic brackets just look like ****.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh I'm all for displaying a plate because of the gate guards at the base and I can literally get ordered to put one on by my boss or never drive the car on base again. But there are plenty of options for no drill brackets plus the plastic brackets just look like ****.
Oh I agree, first thing I told the dealer when I ordered my car, is no body touches it, when it arrives at dealership. No dealer advertisements anywhere on car, and no front bumper bracket, they gave me the bracket in my trunk.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So who else has either the LAva Red paint, interior or both in their car?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
Oh I agree, first thing I told the dealer when I ordered my car, is no body touches it, when it arrives at dealership. No dealer advertisements anywhere on car, and no front bumper bracket, they gave me the bracket in my trunk.
I had a friend do that once with a F150 and made sure it was written into the contract. He showed up to pick it up and it had a front plate on it. He point blank refused to take it and got the manager involved and they had to go out and get another truck of the same color and swap bumpers on the spot. He was still pretty pissed because it took them hours when he was planning on being there for like 20 minutes.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had a friend do that once with a F150 and made sure it was written into the contract. He showed up to pick it up and it had a front plate on it. He point blank refused to take it and got the manager involved and they had to go out and get another truck of the same color and swap bumpers on the spot. He was still pretty pissed because it took them hours when he was planning on being there for like 20 minutes.
Its a legal thing in Cali i know that. If a dealer as them available they HAVE to put it on. Mine came with everything in the trunk but ya know what it doesnt matter anymore. Its on now just like every other car out there, plus i plan on going GT conversion in the future so its not so bothersome lol
Old 12-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Its a legal thing in Cali i know that. If a dealer as them available they HAVE to put it on. Mine came with everything in the trunk but ya know what it doesnt matter anymore. Its on now just like every other car out there, plus i plan on going GT conversion in the future so its not so bothersome lol
I would still tell them no I'll provide a drill free bracket and they can film me driving off the lot with a front plate if they want. IMO an integrated plate with a clear cover like on the vettes should be standard instead of just drilling holes in a bumper.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

My car came from the factory with holes already in it. As well as the other 5 that came on the same truck from the factory. The dealer told me that they no longer do the holes themselves or provide people with the choice of not having the holes. They said that they're all coming from the factory pre drilled.

Honestly though I think people just ***** too much. Does the front plate look stupid? Yea, sure the hell does. But it's ILLEGAL to not have it. So stop *****ing, put it on the damn car, and get over it.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
My car came from the factory with holes already in it. As well as the other 5 that came on the same truck from the factory. The dealer told me that they no longer do the holes themselves or provide people with the choice of not having the holes. They said that they're all coming from the factory pre drilled.

Honestly though I think people just ***** too much. Does the front plate look stupid? Yea, sure the hell does. But it's ILLEGAL to not have it. So stop *****ing, put it on the damn car, and get over it.
Its not illegal in 20 or so states for one, they only issue one plate. Two, if you are at a show its nice to be able to take it off and not have holes and an outline in the bumper. Same deal at the track, dont want a front plate flying off at 130mph and would prefer to not have the front bumper looking like **** all day at the track.

I dont consider any of that *****ing I consider it all valid points.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

Please do some researched before you speak next time.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post

My 2012 has 1/8" pre drilled holes from factory....

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

Yea Devil Strider. I'm not the only one who's car came factory pre drilled. Looks like you need to do some "researched" so you don't look like such a moron on here huh?
As far as Scottydsntknow up there I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. I think that hideaway kinda bracket that you were talking about looks stupid as well. I'm not willing to spend money on something that makes my car look bad when I can easily just put the factory bracket onto the factory drilled holes seeing as how they were already there anyways and the bracket was free.
If it was up to me I would have just left the front plate off altogether and prayed I didn't get tickets for it but unfortunately it's a requirement to have it to get onto base. So I stopped my whining and just put the stupid factory bracket on it. Which is super easy to take on and off for shows or the strip anyways.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

Not talking about the holes being drilled at all. Talking about it being illegal to not have a front plate. That's only in a few states. Also my 2014 didn't come with pre-drilled holes in the bumper.

Quote:
Yea Devil Strider. I'm not the only one who's car came factory pre drilled. Looks like you need to do some "researched" so you don't look like such a moron on here huh?
As far as Scottydsntknow up there I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. I think that hideaway kinda bracket that you were talking about looks stupid as well. I'm not willing to spend money on something that makes my car look bad when I can easily just put the factory bracket onto the factory drilled holes seeing as how they were already there anyways and the bracket was free.
If it was up to me I would have just left the front plate off altogether and prayed I didn't get tickets for it but unfortunately it's a requirement to have it to get onto base. So I stopped my whining and just put the stupid factory bracket on it. Which is super easy to take on and off for shows or the strip anyways.
Same response for you as the guy above. It was the plate comment that I was referring to.

Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT