TPMS sync - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
TPMS sync

I just got my new wheels and tires from CJs and they came with new TPMS sensors but no remote to sync them. Should I just sack up and buy the remote online for 50$ or try to take it to Ford and have them do it? I called and they said it would cost me 100$ for them just walk around the car and push a button. LOL

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You can get the instructions for putting your car in learn mode, so order the sync tool and do it yourself.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

True, it's just annoying that after spending almost 2500$ on wheels tired and TPMS sensors they don't include the sync tool

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
One guy at Ford told me they sync up automatically most of the time with a tire rotation. Not sure about new sensors though. Also not sure if he put the car in learn mode to do it either to do it "automatically."
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You can do it with out the syncing tool. Its a little bit of a pain in the butt, but this works.

Follow normal instructions. < turn key on & off 3 times to on, press & release brake pedal, key on/off 3 times to on, car will honk>

Then instead of pressing the sync tool button at each valve stem.... you can deflate your tires one at a time until the horn goes off at each tire.
(you start at driver front & go around clock wise)

Tires should be inflated to approx. 34 psi, so when you deflate them enough to send a low PSI signal to the ECU it syncs that tire. So you'll have to reinflate all 4 tires AFTER you programmed all 4 tires.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
You can do it with out the syncing tool. Its a little bit of a pain in the butt, but this works.

Follow normal instructions. < turn key on & off 3 times, leave on, press & release brake pedal, key on/off 3 times to on, car will honk>

Then instead of pressing the sync tool button at each valve stem.... you can deflate your tires until the horn goes off at each tire.

Im not doubting you but is there any way you could explain how this works lol

Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Im not doubting you but is there any way you could explain how this works lol
I basically already did above. Lowering air pressure to the point of the "Low Tire Pressure" warning threshold triggers that individual TPMS to send a signal which includes its own serial # so the car knows which tire is low. (just like when you use the TPMS tool)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pep boys did mine for $10 a tire.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Call around, Discount Tire had one, although I had one myself.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Pep boys did mine for $10 a tire.
4 x $10/tire = $40 + tax ?

He might as well for <$5 more buy the tool and keep it for future use...

or sell it after you use it and get most of your money back.

OR keep it and charge people $20 to sync their tires and make your money back + profit!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
4 x $10/tire = $40 + tax ?

He might as well for <$5 more buy the tool and keep it for future use...

or sell it after you use it and get most of your money back.

OR keep it and charge people $20 to sync their tires and make your money back + profit!

I guess I'll just buy the tool lol

Old 12-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess I'll just buy the tool lol
Why not do the deflate thing for free?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I called discount tire and they did mine for free.

Sent from my XT1254 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
martinzusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A little off topic here. But do we need to buy the TPMS? Can't we just reuse the ones we have already?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
A little off topic here. But do we need to buy the TPMS? Can't we just reuse the ones we have already?
yes, just buy new valve stems for them and you're good to go

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 12-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post

I ordered a wheel and tire package and they couldn't be mounted and balanced without getting the new TPMS sensors

Old 05-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I just bought a wheel and tire combo from American Muscle, along with the sync tool. But, they shipped the wheels and tires UPS 2nd day and the sync tool by USPS. So, I have 4 awesome tires and rims sitting in my garage for a weekend while I wait for the government mail to deliver the sync tool. My question is this: if I install the new wheels and drive around with the TPMS warning on, will it do anything that affects the car? My last car would restrict you to 90 mph with a TPMS light on.
Bryanw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I don't even run TPMS valves in my wheels.

And if they're OEM sensors then they're self learning.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I don't even run TPMS valves in my wheels.

And if they're OEM sensors then they're self learning.
Do you just have the TPMS light on all the time or did you defeat it in a tune or something like that?
Old 05-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The light is on all the time and you cannot get rid of it via a tune since it is not a part of the computer but rather the body module.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The light is on all the time and you cannot get rid of it via a tune since it is not a part of the computer but rather the body module.
OK. Thanks for the info. I'll assume that the TPMS light does not cause any changes to operations or performance. I'm heading to the garage to change some tires!
Old 05-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanw92 View Post
OK. Thanks for the info. I'll assume that the TPMS light does not cause any changes to operations or performance. I'm heading to the garage to change some tires!
Remember you can do this.

Quote:

Follow normal instructions. < turn key on & off 3 times to on, press & release brake pedal, key on/off 3 times to on, car will honk>

Then instead of pressing the sync tool button at each valve stem.... you can deflate your tires one at a time until the horn goes off at each tire.

Tires should be inflated to approx. 34 psi, so when you deflate them enough to send a low PSI signal to the ECU it syncs that tire. So you'll have to reinflate all 4 tires AFTER you programmed all 4 tires.
Now if you have your tires Nitrofilled, then you might not want to lose the nitro.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I put on a set of used tires/wheels recently and it sync'd automatically. Been riding a few weeks now and no tpms light yet.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post
One guy at Ford told me they sync up automatically most of the time with a tire rotation. Not sure about new sensors though. Also not sure if he put the car in learn mode to do it either to do it "automatically."
I have three sets of wheels (daily driving, autocross, road course), and have never needed to sync the TPMS, it automatically syncs after 0.2 miles at over 25 mph (according to the factory service manual, not to be mistaken with the owner manual).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I have three sets of wheels (daily driving, autocross, road course), and have never needed to sync the TPMS, it automatically syncs after 0.2 miles at over 25 mph (according to the factory service manual, not to be mistaken with the owner manual).

Yeah I just got a new set of wheels and tires from AM and they had the sensors already installed. I don't have the TPSM warning light on and it has been like three weeks. I didn't use the syncing tool that it came with. I guess they synced themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Why are people having trouble with this?
My 2011 and my 2014 have had a second set of wheels, Winter tires and tpms and they sync automatic. No effort on my part. No need for a sync tool. No need to put it in learn mode, nada....zip...just put them on and go.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Hell I replaced a single wheel (curbed one sigh) and I ordered a eBay TPMS and it worked fine. No light. I've never even seen the light come on. I don't even know if I know what it looks like 😎

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
True, it's just annoying that after spending almost 2500$ on wheels tired and TPMS sensors they don't include the sync tool

Maybe you should have bought wheels that were a little cheaper. If you spent $2,500 on tires, rims and sensors, you should be able to buy the sync tool for $44.99 also.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Maybe you should have bought wheels that were a little cheaper. If you spent $2,500 on tires, rims and sensors, you should be able to buy the sync tool for $44.99 also.

Nice suggestion bro really helps out

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Old 06-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Did you look in the Trunk?

My car came with the sync tool velcro'd to the plastic liner in the trunk, just to the left of the right tail light and right above where the spare tire tools mount.
BOSS intake, Steeda CAI, SCT livewire TS, A.R. long tubes & 3" X-pipe, Bassani axle back, AMR wheels, Steeda upper&lower control arms, Raxiom Black Projector/HALO headlights, Trufiber hood, CS/BOSS front & rear valence, BOSS splitter, Stainless Braided Clutch Line, TruCarbon CF Grille, MMD Black tail light trim & Trunk Emblem Surround, Carbon Fiber Dash Overlay Kit. Barton Industries Short Shifter and Bracket, DSS 3.5" Aluminum driveshaft. 417 HP 373 lbsft at wheels and loving it.
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBry0311 View Post
My car came with the sync tool velcro'd to the plastic liner in the trunk, just to the left of the right tail light and right above where the spare tire tools mount.

Did you buy it used

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Old 06-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Based on our varied experiences, I would say that depending on the brand of sensor, it will either sync automatically...like mine did, that I got from Tire rack or need a sync tool.
I wish we had all kept track of exactly what brand we got and if it synced auto.
That way we know which brand we would rather buy. I'm sure Tire rack didn't install factory sensors in mine. Maybe I can call them and they will know the brand they sold me, but that was a year ago.
I'll update if I find out. I switch my wheels over twice a year with no sync involved.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

My wheels, purchased from AM, came with the sensors installed. I purchased the sync tool but didn't need it. The sensors automatically synced to the car. Never had to do a thing.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
yes I did

Quote:
Did you buy it used

I did buy it used, and when I asked the dealership what it was they said it was the sync tool and that all the cars came with one. They also said that they are the only ones who could sync the sensors, what a bunch of BS. Just for thought I picked up 2 VDO Sensors just to put in my drag wheels, now I wish I would have tried driving the car to see if they would sync on their own.
BOSS intake, Steeda CAI, SCT livewire TS, A.R. long tubes & 3" X-pipe, Bassani axle back, AMR wheels, Steeda upper&lower control arms, Raxiom Black Projector/HALO headlights, Trufiber hood, CS/BOSS front & rear valence, BOSS splitter, Stainless Braided Clutch Line, TruCarbon CF Grille, MMD Black tail light trim & Trunk Emblem Surround, Carbon Fiber Dash Overlay Kit. Barton Industries Short Shifter and Bracket, DSS 3.5" Aluminum driveshaft. 417 HP 373 lbsft at wheels and loving it.
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT