California emissions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
California emissions

Does anyone know exactly what Cali emissions mean? Does this affect performance? What is different and what could you change? Maybe cats or computer settings? I have an 2011 GTCS and I've gotten curious about this subject. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, rrrrr n SC
caliconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It's more strict emission testing. Most people almost never fail from the sniff test. It's always the visual test that fails people. Since parts have to be CARB legal. If it's not then it doesn't pass.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I used to think it had something to do with the California edition. But I think due to the nature of California (haha) as soccerluvr said it's just a more strict emissions. But I think most cars have it? Just another regulation cars need. Anyways, nothing to do with the fact that it's a California special

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Saleen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Every car produced in the US is the same in terms of emissions. It's when you get into aftermarket parts that some stuff is legal in most states and not in Cali

HID end all thread
Old 12-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, a know it all (supposedly) ford person told me there are differences in the exhaust (cats) and computer settings. And get this, his 2011 gt has more hp and is faster than my 2011 GTCS has. As soon the local drag strip opens I'm gonna find out. I have a auto and his is manual, so I know he's got a little more gear than I have. Tks, rrrr n SC
Old 12-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Every car produced in the US is the same in terms of emissions. It's when you get into aftermarket parts that some stuff is legal in most states and not in Cali

Not true. Not all cars but some had slightly different emissions setups for cars sold in California opposed to the other 49 states. I know the 3rd generation eclipses fell into this category.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Did these affect performance between same models? Where can you find this info. I can't find anything.....
Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Not true. Not all cars but some had slightly different emissions setups for cars sold in California opposed to the other 49 states. I know the 3rd generation eclipses fell into this category.

That's usually for non American made cars since they sell mostly in other countries. American cars usually have to all meet certain standards. And when California standards are more strict they just make it so it's good for all of them.

HID end all thread
Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Hi all. I'm over in Oregon and we have to suffer the California emissions (due to we border Cali and our state made an agreement). It's a screwy situation. Anyhow, last summer I went shopping for a 2014 GT to replace my totaled 2012. This was after the 2014 production run ended, so I had to pick from what was already built. There was nothing on the west coast that met my list of options, so I had to go nationwide. Found one in Billings, a couple in Dallas and one in Maryland that had what I wanted. But here's the kicker - they didn't all have legal emissions for Oregon. Turns out there are three flavors of emissions. There is a 50 state legal, California emissions or unlisted. On the Mustang you can find it on the window sticker under Optional Equipment. Example: '50 State Emissions'. Note that Cali is not the only state with restrictions which is why there is a 50 state version. When I said unlisted above, it doesn't actually say unlisted - it just doesn't list any emissions package and is thus illegal here in Oregon (or Cali).
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2014 GT/CS that was actually from California. I've been wondering the same thing. Is my car in any way different from a 2014 GT/CS from, lets say, Georgia as far as engine performance goes?
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Think about it this way.

If they were different then how would you be ale to move to Cali and smog it and have it pass. There may be tiny differences, but all cars that are able to be sold new in the US will pass all 50 state emission testings.

HID end all thread
Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Think about it this way.

If they were different then how would you be ale to move to Cali and smog it and have it pass. There may be tiny differences, but all cars that are able to be sold new in the US will pass all 50 state emission testings.

It's not a matter that cars will not pass there if purchased in another state. It's that some cars originally sold in California had slightly different emission components for better emissions I assume (to exceed minimum requirements). Most are so minor that unless you come across a part you would never know. But some of the parts are different. I worked at a parts store for 5 years so had people come in all the time and some cars had different emissions for Cali models which was encoded in the vin. To most it would go unnoticed because it's the same engine, performance, etc.

And eclipses were always build in the US. I've seen this on just about every major brand of cars too ford, Chevy, Honda, etc.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

California emissions

Most Japanese cars sold in the US are now made in he US. My point on those was that they are not just sold in the US, so the models sold in other countries can vary also. I believe Eclipses are built in Illinios if I'm not mistaken. that's why it's a bit easier to see those with other types of parts.

HID end all thread
Old 12-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Think about it this way.
Above statement has issues - Not all new cars have 50-state emissions (or Cali emissions) and cannot be licensed in California, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona + more (even if purchased outside of the state and you move there). Only after it has 7500 miles on it can it be considered used, then can be smog tested to verify it is compliant.

California - Buying & Selling FAQs - The Paperwork To File At The CA DMV at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

For used cars, smog testing is checking that a car meets the minimum standard that is set by California. Most cars in the US that meet the Federal requirement should be able to meet this standard. But California emission cars are tuned to a more restrictive level, which is why they fall into a special category.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post
Above statement has issues - Not all new cars have 50-state emissions (or Cali emissions) and cannot be licensed in California, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona + more (even if purchased outside of the state and you move there). Only after it has 7500 miles on it can it be considered used, then can be smog tested to verify it is compliant.

California - Buying & Selling FAQs - The Paperwork To File At The CA DMV at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

For used cars, smog testing is checking that a car meets the minimum standard that is set by California. Most cars in the US that meet the Federal requirement should be able to meet this standard. But California emission cars are tuned to a more restrictive level, which is why they fall into a special category.
So you are saying that since my car was originally sold in California, it is tuned different and I should get a performance tune faster than I originally planned?
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If it's different it's not something you are going to notice just driving it around compared to other cars outside of California. Physical parts may be different. I guarantee you won't notice any difference in performance of the car.

HID end all thread
Old 12-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It's also very very easy to get around smog in Cali. I'm probably just going to register my car to a PO box in Clearlake which is just an hour or two north, that county doesn't have smog testing. No more smog testing, hello longtubes lol

HID end all thread
Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
It's also very very easy to get around smog in Cali. I'm probably just going to register my car to a PO box in Clearlake which is just an hour or two north, that county doesn't have smog testing. No more smog testing, hello longtubes lol

Why doesn't everyone do that??

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014Vert View Post
So you are saying that since my car was originally sold in California, it is tuned different and I should get a performance tune faster than I originally planned?
I don't know if it makes much (if any) difference in power on the Mustang. I know on ATVs (my other hobby) it can make a big difference.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That's another big misconception is that producing good emissions causes less HP. With today's technology you can have both. I remember guys with f bodies used to delete their air pumps and egrs which produced zero gain. Just because some cars may have slightly different emission parts from being a Cali car does not mean it makes less power compared to other new models.

The main reason people delete emissions is because of the cost of aftermarket parts, sound, or to avoid having them failing latter down the road. It takes a lot of power before cats or an egr are going to be a bottle neck and decrease hp

Old 12-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

California emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
That's another big misconception is that producing good emissions causes less HP. With today's technology you can have both. I remember guys with f bodies used to delete their air pumps and egrs which produced zero gain. Just because some cars may have slightly different emission parts from being a Cali car does not mean it makes less power compared to other new models.

The main reason people delete emissions is because of the cost of aftermarket parts, sound, or to avoid having them failing latter down the road. It takes a lot of power before cats or an egr are going to be a bottle neck and decrease hp

My friend knows the smog referee of our area. He said one he got a Corvette with a 427ci engine (not LS7), fully built, twin turbos. It made over 1,000 horsepower and complete straight piped exhaust.

It's emission output was almost non-existent.

But it failed because it wasn't CARB legal. That is the main issue that is wrong with modern smog testing, auto companies have the tech to make cars more fuel efficient and emission friendly without all this stupid stuff in our cars, but they still have to follow rules made in the 70s.

HID end all thread
Old 12-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Because it's ILLEGAL to register your car to a county you don't reside in.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My friend knows the smog referee of our area. He said one he got a Corvette with a 427ci engine (not LS7), fully built, twin turbos. It made over 1,000 horsepower and complete straight piped exhaust.

It's emission output was almost non-existent.

But it failed because it wasn't CARB legal. That is the main issue that is wrong with modern smog testing, auto companies have the tech to make cars more fuel efficient and emission friendly without all this stupid stuff in our cars, but they still have to follow rules made in the 70s.

Back in 82, I bought a mustang that was heavily modified. It failed DEQ testing here in Portland. Converting it back over to be street legal was way too expensive (plus would kill all the power). I worked with a local drag racer/friend who owned his own shop to rejet the carb. We got the emissions within legal limits and took it to DEQ where it passed - except it didn't due to it failed inspection - no smog pump or catlytic converters. I slapped on a pair of cheap catalytic converters (high flow) and an air pump (for the exhaust that didn't really go anywhere and an EGR valve (only half connected to the manafold) so it looked legit. Another trip back and it passed. It actually ran OK and I left it that way for years (passing smog testing every 2 years). Didn't notice any real loss in power at the track, either.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Just moved back to Oregon after spending 15 years in California.
When you go through smog in California with any newer car/truck..........I had a 97 1ton dually w/BBC, headers and K&N CAI system (both were C.A.T. approved) they used a sniffer. With my 08 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi all they did was visually look at the motor......I had a C.A.T. Airaid CAI/with the C.A.T. sticker right in plain sight and he still had to go to his computer to check the number to make sure it was legal............all they did was to plug into the ECM, they do not sniff newer cars anymore because the computer gives them exactly what they need. The interesting part is that my battery had gone dead the day before so I took it out and replaced it and then took it in to DEQ.........they would not pass the truck because there was not enough information in the ECM.....because I had disconnected the battery and it had wiped out all of the stored information. I had to drive 100 miles before they would pass the truck..........then brought it up to Oregon where they don't care...........
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The CALI emissions means a dealer can't sell a non-CALI car in California. You can move to CALI from anywhere in the country and the smog test changes to be appropriate for your non-cali car.

Quote:
Think about it this way.

randyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyGT View Post
The CALI emissions means a dealer can't sell a non-CALI car in California. You can move to CALI from anywhere in the country and the smog test changes to be appropriate for your non-cali car.

I moved my 14 gt "not for sale in California" car here. I'd say it was no prob except I had a ton of trouble getting my computer reset after a battery change. Otherwise it's no biggie. They don't even test the emissions on the newer cars anymore. Just a visual to ensure it is all legit and scan the computer to make sure all monitors are completed and there are no codes.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah, I forgot they don't smog for the first 5 years of newer vehicles. I live in California 75% if tge time, but I have a house in Montana so I buy and keep licensed there so I don't have to deal with california bull****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I moved my 14 gt "not for sale in California" car here. I'd say it was no prob except I had a ton of trouble getting my computer reset after a battery change. Otherwise it's no biggie. They don't even test the emissions on the newer cars anymore. Just a visual to ensure it is all legit and scan the computer to make sure all monitors are completed and there are no codes.
randyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

Hehehe
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

California, along with several other states, subscribe to CARB emissions standards, which exceed the federal EPA emissions standards.
The EPA emissions standards have increased over the years, to the point where there is very little difference between their standards and the CARB standards. Much of the difference, on modern vehicles, has to do with the fuel tank venting system.
As time goes on, there is less incentive for auto manufacturers to equip the cars with different emissions systems, for different regions. I believe that the EPA is adopting even more stringent emissions requirements in the next year or two, so I doubt that there will be any appreciable difference between the two agencies requirements on emissions equipment.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
New Emissions Standards for 2017

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is finalizing an
important rule designed to reduce air pollution from passenger
cars and trucks. Starting in 2017, Tier 3 sets new vehicle emissions
standards and lowers the sulfur content of gasoline, considering the
vehicle and its fuel as an integrated system.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/tier3.htm
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:36 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Means you can't do jack **** to your vehicle
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

something like 13 states where a car most have cali specs, nj ,ny.mass are ones I have to deal with for family. in nj the first 5 years nothing but a dealer sticker then every 2 after.
getting my 70 boss 429 past them is a royal pain , it's still bone dead stock yet man dose it stink on the sniffer. I like to drive it so no historic tags for me which means no inspection but a limit of miles per year I could drive, taking out running a full power tour
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
something like 13 states where a car most have cali specs, nj ,ny.mass are ones I have to deal with for family. in nj the first 5 years nothing but a dealer sticker then every 2 after.
getting my 70 boss 429 past them is a royal pain , it's still bone dead stock yet man dose it stink on the sniffer. I like to drive it so no historic tags for me which means no inspection but a limit of miles per year I could drive, taking out running a full power tour
'70 Boss 429... That's the quintessential Mustang right there... Open the hood... and just gaze at that work of art.
A Faster Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I've got 2 stock 2014 GT Track-Pack cars. One is a California car (CARB Sticker) one is not. The non-California car definitely has considerably more low-end power and throttle response. It winds up to redline much faster too. That's my wife's car, mine is a mushy cream puff by comparison and it pisses me off every time I drive hers and feel the difference. I don't know if California emissions have anything to do with it or not, but I'd sure like to for mine to be on par.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
california