SR Performance lowering Springs in on bumpy roads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
SR Performance lowering Springs in on bumpy roads

If I install the SR performance lowering springs that only lower the car around an inch and a half how would the car react to speed bumps and badly paved roads. The real question is, is this mod worth it?
I like the way it makes the car look but will the short drop make the car ever hit?

2013 Sterling Grey Auto GT with Roush Axlebacks.
DylanRyan_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Literally just put these springs on three days ago... They ride great and honestly better than I expected. Speed bumps aren't too bad but you really gotta go slow and depending on the size or steepness you might get some rub... But not bad. And it takes bumpy roads just fine you can just feel it a little more. I was skeptical like you and i couldn't be happier now

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You bought a V8 Mustang.... A car built for performance..... Just put them on. It really isn't that bad.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I've had the SR springs on my DD for a couple of months and I have been more than happy.
I feel the ride is actually improved - more controlled, less "porpoising" on acceleration and braking, and little to no increase in harshness.
I've been over some pretty bad pavement and no worries. With any lowered vehicle you have to be aware of clearance for speed bumps and steep grades, but I've yet to have any issues.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dubbed "Lucinda" by my 5 year old daughter and co-pilot
Itcouldbebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just get the springs and if it's too harsh for you then get some better shocks and struts and you'll great. I've got SR springs with Koni orange shocks and struts and it's perfect 👌

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You bought a V8 Mustang.... A car built for performance..... Just put them on. It really isn't that bad.

Pretty sure the reason he asked is because he didn't know...just as I didn't before.

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Old 12-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
It's not bad at all literally almost no difference. Highly recommend. Mines a DD and no complaints
Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I need the rears only, I have a set of SR front springs.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
For reference I daily drive my car with coilovers on it that are at least twice as stiff stock. It's not as bad as people think. All depends on how tolerable you are. I know people that thought my cars stock suspension was already too stiff.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #10

Region: Virginia
Have A Set and Love Them

I've had a set of these springs on my 98 GT for several months and love them. Granted, lowering is going to make the ride a little less cushy, but this isn't a Lincoln Town Car were talking about. Besides great looks, the real fun comes with improved cornering. Once installed, you can step on the gas at corners where you used to step on the brakes, and that makes it all worth it.

Just slow down for speed bumps and understand it may jar you occasionally on very harsh roads, but after a while you don't even notice it. You will also notice no more nose diving on braking or squatting on take off, so the car will feel more stable.

You may want to also consider a pair of Caster Camber Plates as lowering changes the angle of things in your suspension. This will allow for a greater range of flexibility to align the front end. You may or may not need it but it could help to keep your tires from getting worn prematurely from misalignment.
Mr Dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
Just get the springs and if it's too harsh for you then get some better shocks and struts and you'll great. I've got SR springs with Koni orange shocks and struts and it's perfect 👌

Same here. Incredibly pleased with how the car performs now.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1419143626.659274.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	172299

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanRyan_8 View Post
If I install the SR performance lowering springs that only lower the car around an inch and a half how would the car react to speed bumps and badly paved roads. The real question is, is this mod worth it?
I like the way it makes the car look but will the short drop make the car ever hit?
Hey Dylan, that's a great question! They're not that bad at all! If anything, the handling improves so much that the small effect it has on things like speed bumps and harsh roads does not alter the value of the mod at all! I always recommend throwing on a good set of springs, like the SR Performance Lowering Springs on any Mustang as the pros far outweigh the cons. They are not only going to improve the look of the car (we have Mustangs, not monster trucks after all) but they'll also aid in braking and acceleration as well.

Check out this video which can give you a better idea on how these springs will help improve your s197!

I hope this helps, Let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Literally just put these springs on three days ago... They ride great and honestly better than I expected. Speed bumps aren't too bad but you really gotta go slow and depending on the size or steepness you might get some rub... But not bad. And it takes bumpy roads just fine you can just feel it a little more. I was skeptical like you and i couldn't be happier now
Eric- Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback, we appreciate it! What's next on your build list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itcouldbebobby View Post
I've had the SR springs on my DD for a couple of months and I have been more than happy.
I feel the ride is actually improved - more controlled, less "porpoising" on acceleration and braking, and little to no increase in harshness.
I've been over some pretty bad pavement and no worries. With any lowered vehicle you have to be aware of clearance for speed bumps and steep grades, but I've yet to have any issues.
Thank you very much to the kind words, I'll be sure to pass this along to the team at SR, they'll be happy to hear it!

Quote:

Hey 08,

You bring up a really good point! Although in most cases these work great with the stock shock & strut setup, upgrading them never hurts and will definitely compliment the ride further!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
It's not bad at all literally almost no difference. Highly recommend. Mines a DD and no complaints
Hey Grabber, thanks for your feedback, I'm really happy to hear that you are enjoying the springs on your daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dug View Post
I've had a set of these springs on my 98 GT for several months and love them. Granted, lowering is going to make the ride a little less cushy, but this isn't a Lincoln Town Car were talking about. Besides great looks, the real fun comes with improved cornering. Once installed, you can step on the gas at corners where you used to step on the brakes, and that makes it all worth it.

Just slow down for speed bumps and understand it may jar you occasionally on very harsh roads, but after a while you don't even notice it. You will also notice no more nose diving on braking or squatting on take off, so the car will feel more stable.

You may want to also consider a pair of Caster Camber Plates as lowering changes the angle of things in your suspension. This will allow for a greater range of flexibility to align the front end. You may or may not need it but it could help to keep your tires from getting worn prematurely from misalignment.
^^^^ This! You may want to consider a pair of caster camber plates as lowering your car will throw off your alignment which can lead to chewed up tires and alter your handling.
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My sr springs came in last week I can't wait to put them on!!!

mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

SR Performance lowering Springs in on bumpy roads

Kindof unrelated but I need to get my car aligned after I put my springs on and I have camber bolts. Can i go anywhere or should I go somewhere specific? Also what should I tell the tech? Im getting my new wheels and tires on as well and i need a full alignment and wanna make sure it's done right

Old 12-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Kindof unrelated but I need to get my car aligned after I put my springs on and I have camber bolts. Can i go anywhere or should I go somewhere specific? Also what should I tell the tech? Im getting my new wheels and tires on as well and i need a full alignment and wanna make sure it's done right

Hey Eric,

It is always recommended to have your car aligned after lowering the car and especially when lowering the car and upgrading your wheels and tires. Any reputable shop will be able to handle it no problem I would simply check out a few local shops and go off of first person reviews!

Hope this helps!

-Will
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #18

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

As do I ..... I have the same springs, shocks/struts along with gt500 mounts, BMR Lca's & PHB ...... Rides and corners great
konagt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Among my friends and I we've got 5 Mustangs. All have been lowered and everyone has used brand Eibach springs. We each took our cars and had the alignment checked after we lowered them.............guess what?, they were all within Ford Spec for Caster/Camber and toe in. Mine was on the high side of spec for Caster, but I also lowered it 1.4" in the front and 2" in the rear.

The Ford specs are;
Caster, Min. 6.4 and Max 7.9........mine was 7.8
Camber, Min. -1.5................-1.6
Toe, Min 0.0 and Max 0.40............mine was 0.10

It now doesn't like the ruts on some of our highways and would rather drive on the crowns and handles much better than before I lowered it when you are carving corners.

If you go somewhere to have the frontend checked, usually most places will give it to you free if they don't change anything. I didn't have to from the Ford Dealer.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT